Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Ended by Rear

Options
  • 30-12-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

The girlfriend was driving down Main Street in town St Stephens day when the woman in front of her, who was driving a VW Toureg, stopped and reversed straight into her. There was a parking spot on her left but she obviously noticed it too late and jammed on with no sign of an indicator. At this stage she was a full car length beyond the spot. My girlfriend stopped behind her and the woman in the jeep just reversed straight into her despite herself lying on the horn. Anyway, out hops your one and cute enough, starts accusing my girlfriend of driving into her. Of course the oud bad had no indicator on and denied ever going to reverse into the spot. She then said she would not persue the damage to her jeep and that they should call it evens. This was handy considering she had only minor damage to the reap bumper, while my girlfriends Mini, had two scores about an inch deep down the front of her bonnet and the front bumper was in bits. ( To me this screamed of her realising her guilt and just wanting to get out of there.) My woman paniced a wee bit because she was holding up the whole town at this stage. (The town only has one, one way main street) After a bit of tooing and frowing they decided to meet in the Garda Station. The girlfriend went down and low and behold no sign of the ould bat. She went ahead and made a statement. Just as she was finishing the phone in the station rang and it was yir one. She claimed she couldn't make it to the station because she was in shock, but had been talking to her solicitor and she was going to persue damages and personal injuries. She had told the gardai here re-inforced story about being rammed from behind. The gardai said they would call my woman but she hasn't heard a word since. Havent been talking to a solicitor yet because they havent re opened, so I suspect yir ones claims of talking to her solicitor to be bogus.

Hope it makes sense
    Any advice..........?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have the Gardai look for CCTV footage. Do it quickly, as they tend to recycle the tapes quite frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Would they really believe that a Mini could ram a Touareg with enough force to cause the driver to go into shock, let alone not see it from the vantage point of the Mini? Did your GF get any witnesses.. like the people behind her etc? She got the Treg's reg plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Would they really believe that a Mini could ram a Touareg with enough force to cause the driver to go into shock

You'd be surprised what people get up to. I remember a case where a full size Transit was rear ended by a Fiesta at about 5MPH. The Transit driver was awarded £30k for whiplash injuries. I'd love to say what I would like to do to that Transit driver (but the mods would ban me)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Yeh she got the reg of the Toureg alright. There is no problem there, as she had made herself know to the gardai. Unfortunalely the gf never got any witnesses as she paniced a wee bit. The tip literally brought the whole town to a stand still. She got som hop. She was expecting yir one to get out and appologize, not accuse her of being in the wrong.

God only knows what they would believe when you see some of the cases that make the courts now a days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Maybe go on the local radio station and ask if anyone seen the accident. The two cars are fairly distinctive and if it was the main street, someone is bound to remember.
    I'd say without a witness it does not look good for your partner, because 99% of these accidents are the car behinds fault, but yours is obviously one of the 1%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Wow that woman is certainly driving a jeep that matches her down to the ground.;)

I'd agree with Anan1, CCTV footage.Do your best to see if any is available in the area. Nothing would give me greater pleasure to let that toe *** lie out of her arse about what happened to the guards and then you slap down a tape/disc of footage of what really happened.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Wow that woman is certainly driving a jeep that matches her down to the ground.;)

Begrudge much or was the driver a nomadic pastoralist inhabitant of the Saharan interior of North Africa???

Like the above posters said, look for CCTV or radio coverage, also an ad/announcement in the local newspaper might bring forth a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Take good photos of your girlfriend's car anyway; maybe it's possible to tell something from that. For example if the damage is more to one side it could show that the woman in front was reversing into a space, as opposed to a rear-end collison where the two bumpers would be more likely to hit each other flush. It's a long shot I know, but maybe the photos will help corroborate your girldfriend's story in some way.

Other than that, your girlfriend just has to give her side of the story and hope for the best.

Sorry to hear about the whole thing - it's pretty ****ty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Look for witnesses in the shops outside where it happened, staff must of seen something.
    What a [EMAIL="cu@t"]cu@t[/EMAIL] the jeep driver is! typical stereo type in a 4 wheel drive, and she was,nt even on a school run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Exact same thing happened me in a Tesco car park this time last year. The woman saw a spot and decided to reverse full tilt. She jumped out and claimed I had 'rammed' straight into the back of her and started throwing a tirade of abuse at me. When she finished I calmly asked 'are you finished now?' And I then pointed at the cctv camera and asked if she was sure I had rammed her.

Her attitude totally changed, turned out she was driving her sons car and hadn't got any Insurance. So she paid for my damage (which wasn't much) out of her own pocket. If she had been honest from the start I wouldn't have bothered taking anything from her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

DonJose wrote: »
    Begrudge much or was the driver a nomadic pastoralist inhabitant of the Saharan interior of North Africa???

Moi?? Begrudge someone driving a Touareg?? LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Your GF turned up at the Garda station.

The other woman did not even show up at a pre-arragned meeting at a Garda station and her pathetic attempt to claim shock will only be viewed as such by the Gardai.

Karma will pay off in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Must get onto the case of the cctv and employees in the shops asap. Doubt the Gardai would have bothered their holes. Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Any advice..........?

Have "The girlfriend" call her insurance company to report the incident and fill out their claim form with as much detail and supporting photos as possible.

The gardai are useless here, except for recording contact details, since they did not witness anything. If yer wan wants to make a claim about being rammed from behind there is not much you can do.

Let the insurance company deal with it - thats what you pay them for.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

This sort of things happen all the time...happened me at a junction, old guy on his way to mass stops in the junction to turn right..lights change to red, instead of him proceeding as he is entitled to do, sticks it in reverse and smashes my front bumper...gets out and screams abuse AT ME for driving into him...after pointing out his car past the white line and mine not he conceeded to the truth and i got him to sign a piece of paper stating the facts or i'd call the gardai...took a couple of phone pix too....no grief, just a cheque from his insurance...
    The moral here is , get it sorted on the spot..doesnt matter how long it takes....theres tooo many armchair lawyers out there after the fact.....

Advertisement