Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With 93 around the corner . . .

Options
  • 30-12-2008 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

. . . Id just like to wish The Tank Egan best of luck in his debut fight v John Hathaway! Im sure he will do all his friends, family, fans and fellow country men proud when he steps into the octagon for the 1st of many exciting UFC fights that will come from Tom.

www.thetankegan.com ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

War The Tank!SBG for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Egan for the KO, I might put money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Never knew there were any Irish fighters in UFC, fair play & good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

And I hope he gets the recognition he deserves aswell from the Irish public. Bernard Dunne is recognised by young and old all over Ireland. So why can't Tom.

I would love to see him appear on Tubridy or The Late Late after his WIN. :)

No pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And I hope he gets the recognition he deserves aswell from the Irish public. Bernard Dunne is recognised by young and old all over Ireland. So why can't Tom.

I would love to see him appear on Tubridy or The Late Late after his WIN. :)

No pressure!
    I'd hate to see him on either of those. Lets put him on somethin decent :pac:
    WAR TANK!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Fair play to him.

What's with all the religious stuff on his website though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

His a young man who has faith and is thankful for what he has. Fairly simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Yeah Im against all the religious stuff but Toms a great guy and fighter so why should anyone care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

exactly someones faith is there own and it should not be brought into question so no more on that please!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Its great to see an Irishman finally in the ufc. Best of luck to Tom and hope to see an exciting fight.

• Advertisement

His a young man who has faith and is thankful for what he has. Fairly simple really.
    Yeah Im against all the religious stuff but Toms a great guy and fighter so why should anyone care.
    exactly someones faith is there own and it should not be brought into question so no more on that please!:D

I'm sorry, but it means he's weird.

How anyone in this day and age can believe that nonsense is real... WTF.

And to plaster it all over your MMA website?

I can't repect that sort of person. It's moronic.

If my comments above make you angry, think of this: would you agree with me if he was a Scientologist and had Scientology crap all over his website? If the answer is yes, you're a hypocrite.

that is the most disrespectful thing i have ever heard.Im not even going to get into it, this is an MMA forum to discuss mma and Tom Egans upcoming fight, not for you to air your religious views or past judgement on someone elses, if you wish to do that im sure there is a religion forum!

that is the most disrespectful thing i have ever heard.Im not even going to get into it, this is an MMA forum to discuss mma and Tom Egans upcoming fight, not for you to air your religious views or past judgement on someone elses, if you wish to do that im sure there is a religion forum!

Tom Egan is the one talking about his religion. I am just commenting on it.

If you go to his website you will see it is all over the place.

The guy should stick to MMA and keep his "faith" to himself. It's embarrassing.

There are many people who will think like me. He's not doing himself any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

In fairness it is a website to be viewed by all and it will undoubtedly be viewed by many more people as he becomes more well-known. This is not the 1st time I have viewed his web site but the religious stuff is the first thing I noticed (and I must admit it was with 'raised eye brow').
    It will obviously get reaction, maybe that is why it is there?

again im not here to discuss toms religon or his website, if you feel there is an issue with his website feel free to contact tom threw the contact page on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

again im not here to discuss toms religon or his website, if you feel there is an issue with his website feel free to contact tom threw the contact page on it.

You posted the link to his website:confused: AARRGGGH questioned the very obvious religious quotes on it and thats how we got where we are now.
    I would rather not discuss religion on the net either but the website is full of religious quotes.
    If the website had naked women on it we would be discussing that instead:D

Best of luck to 'the tank'. Very excited about this fight and hope it all goes according to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

AARRRGH wrote: »

If my comments above make you angry, think of this: would you agree with me if he was a Scientologist and had Scientology crap all over his website? If the answer is yes, you're a hypocrite.

Hold on a second......who are you to question anybody on here?? Tom believes everything he says to be true and look where it has gotten him, he is a 20 year old lad living the dream of most mma fighters in this country, whether its to do with his beliefs or not something has worked in his favour, nobody is here questioning your rediculous name or anything but Toms website is Toms website, wheres your website? wheres your UFC contract? Wheres your unbeaten MMA record???
    Your are an envious hater of Tom and not wanted on this forum so im sure i speak for plenty of people when i say "Go the F*CK away from this thread and go sit under ur rock somewhere else"

Jealousy is a horrible disease.......

Judomad wrote: »
    Hold on a second......who are you to question anybody on here?? Tom believes everything he says to be true and look where it has gotten him, he is a 20 year old lad living the dream of most mma fighters in this country, whether its to do with his beliefs or not something has worked in his favour, nobody is here questioning your rediculous name or anything but Toms website is Toms website, wheres your website? wheres your UFC contract? Wheres your unbeaten MMA record???
    Your are an envious hater of Tom and not wanted on this forum so im sure i speak for plenty of people when i say "Go the F*CK away from this thread and go sit under ur rock somewhere else"

Jealousy is a horrible disease.......

WTF.

I am not jealous. Did you read any of my posts?

1. People can believe anything they want (it's their life), but choosing to live your life based around something which is obviously a fraud... I cannot understand that. I understand most people are like Tom (people like me are in the minority) and I understand most people are incapable of change or opening their mind; perhaps I should have written my words with a bit more sensitivity.
    2. If this is something he is doing on purpose, e.g. if it is known a large percentage of MMA fans are religious and this will boost his profile then I say fair play to him. However if it's not some marketing ploy, I think he really should keep his beliefs to himself. I run lots of websites but I don't plaster them with bits of information from my own personal beliefs. Why? Because that would be weird.

I have no interest in becoming an MMA fighter. I'm not sure where you got that idea from. I just don't think he is marketing himself very well, as I personally find his website quite strange.

Please don't interpret everything as hate or jealously. People have opinions for reasons other than those two emotions.

If the website had naked women on it we would be discussing that instead:D

Correct. But of course, that would mean we're jealous! :confused:

I do not believe in religion at all and I did find the quotes strange. However it is his website and he can do what he likes. His belief in god (however strange it seems) gives him a psychological boost. That can only be a good thing. A lot of fighters are religious, our own Katie Taylor reads the bible during boxing tourneys and Matt Hughes is extremely religious too.
    Good luck to Tom, I hope he wins. There is a thing called tact and I dont think AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH showed it. That is not good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It's his belief. Leave it at that. I'm an athiest I can respect Toms beliefs quite obviously you can't.Do you know Tom? How can you state

Keep quiet the thread was started to wish Tom luck with the fight not his religious beliefs, stop pulling this thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

WTF.

I am not jealous. Did you read any of my posts?

1. People can believe anything they want (it's their life), but choosing to live your life based around something which is obviously a fraud... I cannot understand that. I understand most people are like Tom (people like me are in the minority) and I understand most people are incapable of change or opening their mind; perhaps I should have written my words with a bit more sensitivity.
    2. If this is something he is doing on purpose, e.g. if it is known a large percentage of MMA fans are religious and this will boost his profile then I say fair play to him. However if it's not some marketing ploy, I think he really should keep his beliefs to himself. I run lots of websites but I don't plaster them with bits of information from my own personal beliefs. Why? Because that would be weird.

I have no interest in becoming an MMA fighter. I'm not sure where you got that idea from. I just don't think he is marketing himself very well, as I personally find his website quite strange.

Please don't interpret everything as hate or jealously. People have opinions for reasons other than those two emotions.

i will probably get an infraction for this but JON i am sorry in advance but AAARRRGGGHHHHH you are a clown, seriously, go swallow the back end of my bo!!ox............stop being a jealous fool, Tom's website is his website, calling him a fraud for having his religious beliefs on his website is sheer ignorance, why is having his religious beliefs on his website "strange" what is strange about being religious, i amn't relgious in the slightest but Tom clearly is and i dont think anybody on here has the right to criticise tom about anything, he has achieved more already than most people ever will......
    Can we please go back on topic now and
    WISH ALL THE BEST TO TOM ON HOPEFULLY WHAT WILL BE A LONG AND SUCCESSFUL UFC CAREER....will be there cheering for you pal...

An old saying.
    If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I'm what you might call a militant atheist, and I disagree strongly with Tom's religious beliefs but he's never tried to convert me nor I him when we've met. His religious views don't make him a "moron", but you saying that he is on a topic wishing him good luck in his fight debut makes you an ignoramus.

As for the comparison with Scientology, bad rep it may have, but I don't think the catholic church asks for your bank details.

Tom,
    You're a smashing fighter and you'll be a great ambassador for Irish MMA. As for the religious stuff, I think it only counts if you thank Jesus before you thank Kav ;)

Barry

It's his belief. Leave it at that. I'm an athiest I can respect Toms beliefs quite obviously you can't.Do you know Tom? How can you state

If you think about what Christianity preaches, and then imagine not only believing that but living your life according to those beliefs... that's just madness.

Yes, Tom can believe whatever he wants, but that does not change the fact that he lives his life according to some mumbo jumbo. That implies he is either brainwashed, stupid, or mentally ill.

I know my words are harsh, but it is not possible an intelligent, open minded, mentally healthy person could believe and live by the teachings of Christianity.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was I think it is very odd that someone would advertise his religious beliefs all over his website.

Judomad wrote: »
    i will probably get an infraction for this but JON i am sorry in advance but AAARRRGGGHHHHH you are a clown, seriously, go swallow the back end of my bo!!ox............stop being a jealous fool, Tom's website is his website, calling him a fraud for having his religious beliefs on his website is sheer ignorance, why is having his religious beliefs on his website "strange" what is strange about being religious, i amn't relgious in the slightest but Tom clearly is and i dont think anybody on here has the right to criticise tom about anything, he has achieved more already than most people ever will......
    Can we please go back on topic now and
    WISH ALL THE BEST TO TOM ON HOPEFULLY WHAT WILL BE A LONG AND SUCCESSFUL UFC CAREER....will be there cheering for you pal...

I'm not jealous! WTF man, will you think about what I'm writing and what you're writing. I am sure he is a great fighter and I hope he wins every fight he ever faces. I have no issue with his MMA career.

I didn't call him a fraud. Seriously, you need to read my posts. You are totally incorrect in what you are saying.

An old saying.
    If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

I would generally agree with this. I previously acknowledged I should have worded my posts are bit better. But whether or not I write politely, the same message still applies.

Roper wrote: »
    His religious views don't make him a "moron", but you saying that he is on a topic wishing him good luck in his fight debut makes you an ignoramus.

Brainwashed, moron, stupid... take your pick.

Anyway, I interpreted the topic as an advert for his website (the topic is by his webmaster and sponsor) rather than a "good luck"...

EDIT: I've re-read some of my posts and I've been very harsh. I apologise for this. I should have worded my thoughts differently.

If you think about what Christianity preaches, and then imagine not only believing that but living your life according to those beliefs... that's just madness.

Thats what your looking for.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=526

As for the post being started by his sponsor as an advert, im one of toms best mates and wanted to wish him luck and get a bit of public support going

oh and i would love for you to meet tom and see how quickly your opinion changes on him being a "brainwashed moron".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

You posed the link the website here so there's no reason it shouldn't be discussed here IMO.
    As for the post being started by his sponsor as an advert, im one of toms best mates and wanted to wish him luck and get a bit of public support going

oh and i would love for you to meet tom and see how quickly your opinion changes on him being a "brainwashed moron".
    I've met Tom a few times and I think I trained with him once or twice and he is a nice lad.

That said I think that anybody who goes to the bother of getting somebody to do up a website for them after they've had 6 fights deserved to be slagged. :)

If someone wants to proclaim their faith on their website good for them but it's pretty stupid for people to start getting annoyed about others discussing it after the link to the site has been posted on a discussion forum (there's a hint in the name). Personally I think it looks a bit silly, and coupled with the posed pictures more than a little melodramatic but hey each to their own and all that.

That said, when I get around to doing my website I might drop one or two quotes in, discreetly of course. :)
    Maybe something from Exodus
    If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, 21 but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

or maybe something from Leviticus
    For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jughead202

jeez guys chill ,if he is religious thats up to him ,the way he wants to live,
    just wish him luck ,like robinson and all the other who got that far ,from our island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I'm what you might call a militant atheist,
    What's a 'militant atheist'? You bombed any buildings recently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    What's a 'militant atheist'? You bombed any buildings recently?

That would be a military atheist.

Advertisement