Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With 93 around the corner . . .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Having know Tom during his young kickboxing years I have to say he is one of the soundest level headed young guy's around. He works really hard and is an example to all aspiring athletes and will be a great ambassador for the sport.

Tom, I sincerely wish you the best of luck and will be there to cheer you on, on the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Want to wish Tom all the best of luck at UFC 93, it will be great to see an irish lad in UFC. Have only seen poor quality youtube footage of him fighting, but from what i've heard, he's an excellent fighter with bucket loads of potential.

It's extremely disapointing that people have used this thread to needlessly insult the mans beliefs - Fair play to him is what i say, he is entitled to belief in what he wants. Who is anyone to question anyones beliefs? It's not like there's a proven right or wrong!

Anyway, looking forward to UFC 93 and hopefully a winning start to the UFC career of the Tank Egan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's extremely disapointing that people have used this thread to needlessly insult the mans beliefs - Fair play to him is what i say, he is entitled to belief in what he wants. Who is anyone to question anyones beliefs? It's not like there's a proven right or wrong!

Well, I guessed the purpose of this thread was to advertise his website, so I critiqued his website.

I would imagine if my websites (see my signature) were covered in quotes from the fairy lord, you would also think I was a bit of a nutter...

Basically I think the purpose of a personal website such as thetankegan.com should be to market yourself, so it makes sense to exclude any irrelevant/controversial details. This applies doubly to religious stuff.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Well, I guessed the purpose of this thread was to advertise his website, so I critiqued his website.

crap you critiqued him personally

Several posters on the MMA forum know Tom and or trained\sparred with him and would genuinely like to wish him well. Others who don’t know him but follow MMA I’m sure would be delighted to wish him well, even those who don’t follow MMA would probably like to wish a fellow Irish man well when he’s heading into an international sports arena for the first time regardless of his beliefs . But that would be most normal open minded people.

You have come on here and personally attacked some one you don’t even know by using words like brainwashed, stupid, mentally ill, he's weird, and embarrassing.

You also mention several times about having an ‘open mind’ can you not take your own advice and have an open mind to someone else’s beliefs???

There are other forums when you can specifically vent your issues with Christianity. I suggest you sling your hook else where and stop taking this tread off track.

siochain wrote: »
    crap you critiqued him personally

Well, someone who plasters their website in Christian quotes is obviously a very religious person.

There are many books and studies about why people are religious. They don't make nice reading. :o

Therefore, in my opinion, plastering your website in religious quotes suggests you have issues.

I'm sure he's a lovely guy btw, and I wish him well.

You also mention several times about having an ‘open mind’ can you not take your own advice and have an open mind to someone else’s beliefs???

I know I am probably wasting my time here, but it takes an open mind to have my opinion. It is easy to accept weirdness as "normal", i.e. most Irish people think a strong Christian belief is "normal" because we are brought up that way. My way of thinking requires an open mind as I am not thinking like the pack. You know?

There are other forums when you can specifically vent your issues with Christianity. I suggest you sling your hook else where and stop taking this tread off track.

The thread was started by his webmaster and links to his website. It's obvious it was an advert for his website... I am critiquing his website and saying, in my opinion, it makes him look weird. I am allowed have an opinion...?

• Advertisement

man your user name is very appropriate,

I won't contribute further to taking this tread off track by answering your last post. If you want to continue this discussion open another tread in some other forum and stop taking this off track even though its too late now as its lost its good intention.

man your user name is very appropriate,

I've explained this in other posts.

I like the sound it makes.

AARRRGH, you know, like you've fallen off a cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Best of luck to Tom, it's clear he's giving this everything he's got. It will be a great match-up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Seriously.... nobody mention religion anymore. Seriously. Give it up, just stop.

The 2 week count down begins. Can't wait for the event and can't wait to get home later that night and watch it on sky plus. (only live down the road, yipee).

I'm gonna be hoping the main event card runs short and Tom's fight gets shown on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

nah.

Best of Luck to Tom. I think he has a great opportunity I know what ever happens he'll do his best and has a great chance to get a finish (how about a KO or sub of the night $:).

But sure while we're all wishing the Tank best wishes why not talk about his "personality". That's how the MMA game is going :). I respect Tom's beliefs and I share some of them but I also respect other people's right to call them a crock of ****. Whether this is the time or the place is another question but I don't beleive in on-topic conversation so why not.

Tom by anaconda round 2!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

nah.

Tom by anaconda round 2!

lol love the prediction, ill go for Tom by first round tko via some nice gnp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Ill join ya with that preditction Perfect! Can't wait now, although it is still a bit dodge as to whether or not I'll be going:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

AARRRGH wrote: »
    AARRRGH, you know, like you've fallen off a cliff.

More like "AARRRGH stop filling this thread with rubbish and respect the guy for what he is", an Irish MMA fighter who is about to fight with the elite in his sport, and not bash his beliefs!
    I can't believe someone with nearly 7,500 posts could be this disrespectful.

I can't speak for any others here but my interpretation of the OP was to wish Tom good luck and he posted his site for anyone who didn't know him. I didn't see anything asking for critisism on his site or on his beliefs.

Good luck Tom in your debut in the top tier of MMA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Tom by d auld triangle in round 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

lol love the prediction, ill go for Tom by first round tko via some nice gnp

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭john kavanagh

the higher you go up the more people who will try to pull you back down
    - just reminded to me by ais :) but think geoff thompson said it?

its so 'irish' to sit around and critique the guys website/beliefs...instead of focusing on the fact he's the first guy from the republic to represent their country in the pinnacle of their chosen sport. and also being the youngest fighter on the UFC roster.

tom is looking the best i've ever seen him and i'm very confident he'll get the 'W' :)

rant....

there's nothing as boring as a Athiest trying to convert an Believer or vice versa. yes its on HIS website, if you dont like it....here's a crazy idea...dont go on it! ironically its also very stupid to think that because someone has religious beliefs they are therefore 'stupid'.

now this is coming from hitchens no.1 fan here, also watch/read anything with dawkins, harris, maher etc in it (my fav website) and i'm very confident in my lack of belief but i, like tom, dont feel the need to impress those views upon anybody else. i live with tom mon-fri and we dont sit around trying to convert each other...he's too busy doing fonejacker impressions :D

but if he thanks jesus before he thanks me then he can get jesus to hold pads for him for this next training camp lol

live and let live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Ha. I was thinking the same thing about him thanking jesus!! lol.

And I didn't know it till now that he's the youngest guy on the roster. Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

- he's too busy doing fonejacker impressions :D

Ans lets admit there scarishly good :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Man this thread is so annoying given its original intent. Ireland has a chance of having it's own national MMA star, our own Bisping in a way and we get bogged down in this stuff. Would people here continue this carry on if they saw Matt Hamill talking about being deaf or Gina Corano talking about being a woman on their websites?

Tom will be appearing on F4WOnline's Tough Talk radio show in what as being billed as his first audio interview which should be fun. The show does have a profile among the MMA community so positive things are coming his way even before he fights in the UFC. Everyone here should share that too. We will all benefit if he succeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

rovert wrote: »
    Would people here continue this carry on if they saw Matt Hamill talking about being deaf or Gina Corano talking about being a woman on their websites?

Thats just ridiculous,how can you compare being deaf or being a woman to believing in god and posting it all over his website?

• Advertisement

Thats just ridiculous,how can you compare being deaf or being a woman to believing in god and posting it all over his website?

I notice you completely ignored my call for more positivity in this thread. I’m not going to get into a protracted argument about this. I didn’t compare "being deaf or being a woman to believing in god and posting it all over his website" it was an isolated question of:
    rovert wrote: »
    Would people here continue this carry on if they saw Matt Hamill talking about being deaf or Gina Corano talking about being a woman on their websites?

I didn’t mention religion at all. People wouldn’t pass comment on Hamill or Corano for fear of being branded as “cruel” or sexist respectively. Just because Tom is religious doesn’t mean it is open season for intolerant people here to post about him to extent that they do. It is amazing that in a sport of integrated cultures and styles some its fans on here have reacted in the way they have.

when is the interview on?

when is the interview on?

It is a part of a members site Im afraid: www.f4wonline.com . But Ill try to post the most interesting stuff here if people are interested. Im sure Tom will be doing more press leading up to the fight besides. I just heard Tom did a story with The Daily Star awhile ago, is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

now this is coming from hitchens no.1 fan here, also watch/read anything with dawkins, harris, maher etc in it (my fav website) and i'm very confident in my lack of belief but i, like tom, dont feel the need to impress those views upon anybody else.

Well then join in the circle jerk over here! :D

Good luck to Tom, all the best!

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

Ignore them - simple as that.

If they step over a line a moderator can give them their much needed thrill and kick them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

wow Thomas Egan is fighting in the UFC!?

That is amazing, I used to train in SBG with John Kavanagh(Brilliant teacher btw, very technical, friendly and pays attention to all students), I knew Thomas and used to grapple with with him, he is a very very nice and humble guy, he even got me a Nog's and Sperry's autographs when he went to Spain to their seminar.

I feel somehow proud and odd that I've grappled with somebody who is in the UFC now, even though he kicked my ass all the time, haha.

Best of luck to Tom, I hope he'll crush his next and all future opponents and hears lamentations of their women.

Seriously, I really hope he wins.

Lads there is a forum for religious debate, and this is most certainly not it. That's the end of it. People are entitled to their beliefs and this is not the place to debate that. Stick to the topic or enjoy a ban.

Yellow card has been given to AARRRGH for his comments about Tom Egan. Poorly veiled and poor form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Neil was obviously in a better mood when he got here than I was.

I come back after 2 glorious weeks holidays and have to read through this ****e?

I'd say i was dissapointed although no one would give a ****.

Stay tuned because i'll be churning out the infractions and maybe a banning or two as well.

Yea Dragan, I was in a better mood when I first read it this morning. Now, after nearly 2 hours of work, I'm not so chirpy....and I'm not even a morning person. I'd fully endorse further action tbh. Maybe I should lay off the happy pills.

Having just read over it again I regret not giving the straight red, and fair play to Dragan for doing so. Disgraceful tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Great idea for a thread pity bout the off track sh!te but back to Tom the fighter
    For people who don't know him personally or have never trained with him what should we expect,
    It looks like he is pretty well rounded with a mix of subs and TKO's on his record
    Is he a better grappler or stand up fighter ?
    Are there any links to previous fights (the link on his website has 'coming soon')?
    It would be great to get some extra stuff on Tom before we see him in the flesh ...

Advertisement