Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurants in Galway

Options
  • 30-12-2008 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hey all, taking the girlfriend to Galway for Valentine's, and I think we'll be staying in a hotel near Spanish Arch. Anyone know of a nice restaurant I can take her to? Obviously would have to be a central location because we don't know our way around the place. And obviously I want to to be nice and kinda fancy, not pub grub or anything. You know, expensive, but student expensive not millionaire expensive.

I'm looking at this place "Martines Restaurant & Wine Bar" at http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/martines_restaurant_and_wine_bar_.3552.html does anyone know if it's any good? Any other suggestions?

Any good bars or clubs would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

That and Vina Mara are both fab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

You're planning valentines already? Man, i don't even know what underpants i'm wearing tomorrow.. if any!

you whipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

I ate there last night and I thought it was very over priced and the food was dreadful. You would be better off going to Milanos. Very reasonable and consistently good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

jmauel wrote: »
    I ate there last night and I thought it was very over priced and the food was dreadful. You would be better off going to Milanos. Very reasonable and consistently good.
    Yup, there are relatively few places in Galway that do what I would call barely palatable food these days. All of them are well able to charge however! Martines is not great, the food is standard restaurant fare mixed with a "reputation" that they felt justified a high price. Bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Lemongrass

Quality food and not too pricey from what I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Chopper wrote: »
    Lemongrass

Quality food and not too pricey from what I remember.

All these restaurants are robbers, they've been robbin people for years. The less people go to them the better we all will be. I know you gotta head to a restaurant for a birthday etc. But at 25+ for a bottle of wine...come on yea robbers and the big mark up on deserts...Jaysus, it would but you off eating by looking at the prices on the menu.

Abrawd as yea know, you can get a right feed (of similar quality or better) for a fraction of the cost. The usual sh*te of high rents and insurance dont wash anymore...cos they shouldn't be paying high rents these days...haggle with the landlord...haggle with the insurance companies, play one off another, and we can all enjoy our steak without choking on the bill.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

ArraMusha wrote: »
    All these restaurants are robbers, they've been robbin people for years. The less people go to them the better we all will be. .....

:confused: eh... yea... that reply doesn't really help the OP find a nice restaurant for Valentines day now does it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Milanos is consistently good and not over priced and they do very reasonable set menus for xmas, and valentines. Well worth checking out. da Robertas is also a great Italian place in salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Try McSwiggans in Woodquay. Great food and atmosphere and not too too pricey (I've always found it worth the price here anyway). Then you can pop downstairs and have a drink without having to brave the cold Feb evenings. Milanos is also nice, but I think your other-half would appreciate McSwiggans more. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

The Tamarind is really nice although I would agree it is overpriced... €24 for two thin strips of monkfish with some stir fried veg and brown rice. In saying that though, I think you can get some reasonable dishes in there and it is delicious.

Oh yeah... it's right beside the Spanish Arch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Oscars. Expensive, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Have a look at menupages.ie. That might narrow it down for you.
    Google maps is good for getting a sense of location.

It's always a risk taking opinions from someone you don't know. They may have very different opinions to you. See if there is anyway to "calibrate" their opinions against yours.

One thing I would say about Valentines night is that most restaurants seem to put on a fixed menu and jack up the prices.

Asian Tea House is getting favourable reviews lately as is Abalone on Dominick Street. I have not been to either myself so I can only report what I heard.

I have eaten several times in Martines. I always found it ok. However I do know that several of my friends don't like it.

For a special night in town, I would be looking at Vina Mara, Abalone, Oscars, Nimmos. I like Milanos but for me its more casual - limited menu - lots of families. Pizza and Pasta. Possibly Asian Tea House as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Have a look at menupages.ie
    It appears they remove (some) negative reports on restaurants, see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055397739&highlight=menupages.ie

So I wouldn't trust that site tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Martines has good and bad nights but Milanos is worse in my opinion. Always full of hen parties. You could try KC Blakes, the Malthouse, or Oscars which is really worth splashing out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would take a walk up Shop St from your hotel and go for a drink in McSwiggans. The pub is a nice cosy one. Then head upstairs for a meal. You would need to book at least 3 or 4 weeks in advance.
    2 x 3 Course Meals would set you back about €70 not including any drink.
    After your meal you can head back towards your Hotel stopping of at: Taffes - Kings Head - Front Door - The Dail - Ti Neachtains - The Quays

sgthighway wrote: »
    You would need to book at least 3 or 4 weeks in advance.

You're havin' a laugh, right? Went for a meal there last week only booked the day before. Have often walked right in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You're havin' a laugh, right? Went for a meal there last week only booked the day before. Have often walked right in

Some laugh trying to do that Valentines Night ?

sgthighway wrote: »
    Some laugh trying to do that Valentines Night ?

Ah thought you meant in general

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It appears they remove (some) negative reports on restaurants, see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055397739&highlight=menupages.ie

So I wouldn't trust that site tbh

What menupages is good for is giving an overview of the restaurant - location, type of food, cost indicator. Thats still useful information - identify a few restaurants and then ask about specific restaurants.

McSwiggans is getting very mixed reviews as far as I can see. I wouldn't have thought of it for a special night either.

McSwiggans is getting very mixed reviews as far as I can see. I wouldn't have thought of it for a special night either.

Yeah i'd agree, McSwiggans is great for a casual meal with a few people. Also great if you want to have a few drinks/have a bit of a chat/laugh with your meal - We had a baby in there the last week and she let off the odd scream and people/staff didn't bat an eyelid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BannedGugai

Artisan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Thanks very much for the replies guys, and by all means keep them coming. Lots of different suggestions which can be a little overwhelming! If only I had some personal experience with any of these...

Milanos and Lemongrass I have heard of before. I hear they are very nice restaurants but I think as we're going to be in Galway we may as well try a local restaurant.

Oscars sounds promising, I was originally put off by the look of the exterior but it doesn't seem too shabby at all. Vina Mara also looks very nice. I've looked at their websites, but Vina Mara's is advertising a 2006 Christmas menu and Oscars is advertising "a non-smoking area that accounts for 50% of the restaurant". Pity they seem to be so out of date.

Abalone has very good reviews but I can't seem to find a website for it.

Thanks again guys! Pity I'm so awful at making decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

anyone know the name of the restaurant straight across from the quays bar?,would definetly go there,lovely food and isnt that expensive,though this is going back over a year,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BannedGugai

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Malt House. Wasted much money there but the food was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Artisan is excellent both for quality and value for money, nice place as well.
    da robertas in salthill has top quality food but not as nice as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

pierre's is the french place across from the quays bar, still open? vina mara or oscar's in town, pricey but quality food about €100 for 2 course x2 & wine,normally ...
    lohans in salthill, quality lunch menu, reasonable.rest the more or less the same quality, chefs hangover may have bearing on what passes as food in most of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

My favs are cookes in abbeygate street da rabertos in salthill Donnelys in Barna.
    That is all things considered - quality of food; atmosphere; service; wine list; value for money.

Perhaps take her somewhere following day out of town (Glenlo Abbey?) for an amazing lunch instead of splurging on somewhere that imo is vastly overpriced.

You are an inspiration to the Galway men on boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The food in BK's Restaurant and wine bar (Spanish Parade) has been really good of late.
    It is very traditional French, loads of meat options, good fish, not really a veggie haven, to be honest :) (couple of things).No beer tho, just wine, cheese, port etc.
    It is great for atmosphere when it is rocking, and often has music at weekends.

• Advertisement

Another good website that might help the OP narrow it down is www.ireland-guide.com. Georgina Campbells site, it lists many of the restaurants in Galway and provides brief descriptions of each. It also gives a price indication and categorises the restaurants ie. Cafe, Restaurant, Hotel/Restaurant, etc.
    It can only help. Not all restaurants are listed but as far as I can see the better ones are in there.
    Here's a link http://www.ireland-guide.com/discover/placesto.php?aArrQlt[15][]=211&s=Eat&county_id=721&town_id=747&x=31&y=8&from=10#refine.
    That link doesn't seem to be showing up correctly - you might need to copy and paste. Basically I searched in places to eat for Galway County and then Galway City.

Advertisement