Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurants in Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Had a very good, reasonably-priced Indian at the Kashmir on the 26th. I always head there on my occasional forays over to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I used to be an absolute preacher of the Kashmir, but have been swayed by the folks of Eastern Tandoori near Spanish Arch.
    The decor/atmosphere is a little better in the former , but I found the food better in the latter, and also more generous portions for a big meal. The staff are nice in both, but a little more efficient in ET.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

Hi my boyfriend and I go for dinner in Galway as often as we can so my opinions as follows:
    McSwiggans would only do for a casual dinner, cheap too, - wouldn't be special enough for valentines in my opinion, we'd go in there after some late night shopping for example, not dressed up or anything
    Gemelles/Cookes/Oscars/Malthouse/Vina Mara - all fab restaurants for food, staff and atmosphere, you'd be looking at spending over a 100 quid though so worth keeping that in mind..but very special....
    Da Robertas in Salthill, very nice but you have to head out to salthill for the night or get a taxi in and out which is hassle at best on valentines night
    KC Blakes - overpriced the last time i went and wouldn't go back because of it.
    Martines - nice food and gorgeous decor and atmosphere but wouldn't think you'd feel you get value for money esp if you're on a 'student expensive budget'...Ard Bia would be similiar....high prices for the sake of it.
    Kirbys - i think this could be your best bet, the menu isn't too pricey and you're right beside busker brownes for drinks after and the front door is across the road or for a quieter scene The Dail down the street a bit, think its nice enough to be special as well. Although a friend went there for valentines and said they were stuck practically sitting on top of another couple which didn't make for much intimate chatting!
    Oh! or Al Muretto, near enough Eyre Sq so wouldn't be much of a walk for ye but very nice Italien food, very reasonable prices and nice atmosphere.
    Tamarind is also very close to where you're staying and is really nice, lovely food and fancy enough for a special dinner
    Thai Gardens next door is more casual so would avoid i think....
    Milanos - pizza and pasta, the same as it is in every city its in....not very different or special i dont think
    Abalone - gorgeous food, a bit pricey, the only problem is that the food is very rich.....might be a problem for some.....probably not for most!

ok ill stop now, menupages is good for comparing prices, take the recommendations from here and then try decide, and maybe ring places in the new year and see what deals they're doing for valentines....i wouldnt' worry too much, you're very thoughtful to be organising it now...our night will be a last minute job!!

ps. what hotel are you staying in? i think the house hotel has a restaurant which is quite good. Not totally sure tho....

Good luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Hey all, so we went to Oscars in the end. I had been hesitant to book it because of the exterior appearance looking rather cheap but I'm so glad I did! The interior is completely different to the exterior, really fancy. And the food is absolutely AMAZING. It was pretty reasonably priced for such a quality restaurant as well, and we ended up paying a good bit less than I had expected. We went to the Roisín Dubh after, just because it seemed to be quite popular, and that was cool as well, there appeared to be some local bands playing and they were quite good. All in all a great night!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Advertisement