Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Ra

• 30-12-2008 3:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

How ****ing awesome is he?

I've been getting more and more into his work over the last year (thanks to those great Atavistic reissues) but still feel completely lost in the wilderness. I've got:
    Secrets Of The Sun
    Strange Strings
    Live In Paris At The "GIBUS"
    Some Blues But Not The Kind Thats Blue
    Greatest Hits: Easy Listening For Intergalactic Travel

Anything criminally absent from my collection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Space is the Place........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

anti-venom wrote: »
    Space is the Place........
    Indeed, a fine album. Insane, but wonderful.

I had Sun Ra and his Solar-Myth Arkestra vol 1/2 which was fantastic, but I have suspicions that a friend lost it. :( The Satelites are Spinning is a brilliant track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Obscure instruments ftw! Atlantis is essential to any Sun Ra collection and a great introduction to his music imo. Well, I still have to hear some of his stuff but ya know. Recorded about a decade into his career, Atlantis sees less of the initial experimentation and more of an established style. But that's not to say he doesn't experiment with interesting sound combinations. Listen and prepare to be both confused and wowed.

The title track is one of my favourite jazz pieces ever.

Judging by the albums you have so far, I'd say his earlier stuff like Jazz in Silhouette and Jazz Vol. 1 would make for interesting listening.

Advertisement