Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Modem to Powerline to Router, possible?

• 30-12-2008 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey there guys

So I recently go DSL downstairs and basically I run it up to where my PC is via a powerline adaptor which is great and unproblematic, but where my PC is I also have my Xbox360 and PS3 and would like them to have Internet access also. I have an old wireless router and was wondering if I could plug the powerline adaptor into it's WAN port and connect my PC, Xbox, and playstation into it's Ethernet ports. In theory it should be possible since the powerline adaptor have transparent IPs and all that.

It would be set up like this [DSL box - Netgear WGT-xxx] --> [Advent Powerline adaptors] --> [Netgear DGL-4300] ->(PC, PS3, X360)

Are there any special settings I may need to enter into the router or modem?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Should work fine, I assume that the router you'll have into the powerline adapter has DHCP to automatically give IP addresses to the PC,Xbox and PS3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Shouldn't be, just that you may encounter a double NAT situation (Google is thy friend and teacher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

Well i got it to work!

All I had to do was just set the Routers IP to 192.168.1.1 and everything running on that part of the network has the internal ip of 192.168.1.xxx, and the Modem was left at a default 192.168.0.1 and anything connected to it has an ip of 192.168.0.xxx so all is well!

Thanks guys! I would never have tried if you said it was impossible :D

Advertisement