Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

• 30-12-2008 4:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

Anybody tried out Windows 7 yet?
    Is it better or worse {if possible} then vista?

We upgrading all the DC's in work to 2K8 so I'll need to use vista or 7 to administrate then, and that the only reason I'm installing it {only in a VM at that}.

*/Mods: All TechNet Partners have access to the OS prior to the public release.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Been playing about with Windows 7 a little bit. Very Vista-esque but doesn't feel quite so bloated and sluggish. After the stuff they realised with Vista, 7 should be good. Mid 2009 release apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

using it atm on main machine , played nice with Xfi drivers , v quick boot , sleep and hibernation , havent got round to gaming on it but will do soon.

Me like very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Trampas

any ideas on requirements compare to vista?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Can you use XP drivers with it or only Vista ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

aphex™ wrote: »
    Can you use XP drivers with it or only Vista ones?

vista ones but they mightnt work

i heard the public beta will be out sometime soon
    but this says its already been leaked http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/news/2008/12/29/First-Windows-7-Public-Beta-Leaks-Early/p1

• Advertisement

vista ones work nearly all the time , ATI have graphics drivers out for windows 7 already and they installed perfectly
    Really nice and slick , most drivers can be run in compatability for vista and thats working so for , even for my X-FI :eek:

screeny
    windows%207.jpg

edit::

sidebar isnt working :*(

:: also I can't see my Vista harddrive which is a bit of a PITA , booting into vista and then copying files over : grrr
    might be a password or permission issue :/

Trampas wrote: »
    any ideas on requirements compare to vista?

seems to run much smoother , installed very fast aswell, considering i was using an oldish IDE drive

Its marketed at netbooks/tablet pc's love to try some of the multitouch features but allas i have no Panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'm using beta build 7000 on an asus s101 netbook (usual atom 1.6ghz cpu, 1 gig of ram, 16 gig SSD & Intel integrated graphics) and it is surprising how polished it feels. I am extremely impressed - only 1 device failed to be recognised (LAN, but it had Wi-fi which is more relevant...)

So far my only gripe is that my HP Wi-Fi printer driver won't install on it - which seems to be HP's installer deciding not to install on any os it doesn't recognise...

69310.jpg

9 or 10 progs open and the taskbar is still very free'd up
    taskbar.JPG

with all those programs open
    1337%20ram%21.JPG
    I **** YOU NOT 1337 mb's:pac::pac:

i also cleaned the place up a bit
    desktop

edit:: hp printer , have you tried compatability mode for vista? XP , X-fi drivers failed incompatable Os , compatability mode made them work , give it a shot

eats the pants offa Xp sp3

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3187

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

papu wrote: »
    eats the pants offa Xp sp3

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3187
    That's good to see and even better to see they managed to get that time reduction without breaking anything or making drastic changes. 7 is looking good. Mind you, Vista seemed to boot quite quickly too on decent machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

papu wrote: »
    vista ones work nearly all the time , ATI have graphics drivers out for windows 7 already and they installed perfectly
    Really nice and slick , most drivers can be run in compatability for vista and thats working so for , even for my X-FI :eek:

screeny
    windows%207.jpg

edit::

sidebar isnt working :*(

:: also I can't see my Vista harddrive which is a bit of a PITA , booting into vista and then copying files over : grrr
    might be a password or permission issue :/
    Nice background o_o

Is that WMP11 or 12?

Overheal wrote: »
    Nice background o_o

Is that WMP11 or 12?

WMP12

it's got some really nice features , like preview songs and new layout , i don't like the bluish theme tho .. and the lack of a WMP toolbar..

I just wish theyd throw back in some of the functionality that was lost in WMP10. you didnt need to click on a damn search bar before, you could just type and it would jump to the song on its own; [sort by artist; press P; get pearl Jam; play] and is it just me or do songs not load as fast as they used to?

Overheal wrote: »
    I just wish theyd throw back in some of the functionality that was lost in WMP10. you didnt need to click on a damn search bar before, you could just type and it would jump to the song on its own; [sort by artist; press P; get pearl Jam; play] and is it just me or do songs not load as fast as they used to?

if you go to artist , click and press p it jumps to the P section , search bar is pretty handy tho , WMp12 starts and plays songs faster then itunes anyway..
    thats no comparison anyway itunes is a pos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

How can you get a legal copy of it. Is a beta going to be released to the general user or only on msdn and technet.

jd83 wrote: »
    How can you get a legal copy of it. Is a beta going to be released to the general user or only on msdn and technet.

open beta is rumoured to be coming in january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Windows 7 (build no. 7000) has been "leaked" and is available on the torrent networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Thanks, To be honest Id rather wait and get a legit copy of it from microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

jd83 wrote: »
    Thanks, To be honest Id rather wait and get a legit copy of it from microsoft.

Thats what virtual machines are for :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Just installed it into a VM there...doesnt want to play with my gpu but thats more a VM thing than a WVII issue.

Will see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

kaimera wrote: »
    Just installed it into a VM there...doesnt want to play with my gpu but thats more a VM thing than a WVII issue.

Will see how it goes.

You haven't tried it on the HP laptop yet per chance? Might do it later/tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

No, I was wondering about that too. It sits and waits for a moment after you select the song you want to play, is that it?

I'm debating with myself whether it would be worth my while actually buying Windows 7 and installing on my laptop. There is so much crap I have on the Vista right not that, to be honest, I'd rather not loose. But, if 7 really is as good as people are saying it is, it will sure be hard to resist.

Depending on pricing, it's definitely going on that desktop downstairs anyway. I need an excuse to format the whole HDD on that, and what better one could there be?

As long as you dont throw your files here there and everywhere, its pretty easy to get all your vitals off an installation. Namely, Documents, Video, Music, Pictures and Desktop Items.

Mr.S wrote: »
    its a even shiner version of Vista (think XP to Vista)

Boot times are very very fast.

Not a fan of the new taskbar though, it seems to "boxy"

you can change it to small icons , and get a vista like shape back.

Launch Date appears slated for July 1, anybody know how much the upgrade packs will cost?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jmccrohan wrote: »

in fairness, for a beta OS, that's a very very small bug.

It's finally here :)
    As of tonight, MSDN and TechNet Subscribers will have access to the Windows 7 Beta. Starting January 9th – everyone else will be able to go to the Windows 7 page on Windows.com and download the Windows 7 Beta. The Windows 7 Beta will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. The Windows 7 Beta will be download-only – we will not be sending physical media out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

in fairness, for a beta OS, that's a very very small bug.

It could ruin peoples mp3 collection if they had being building it for years.

Advertisement