Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most of the rumours are claiming that it'll be released in the summer, and tbh I wouldn't bet against it given how polished the beta is now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm getting crashes, feeezes and blue screens all over the place. Am i the only one?

I'd say I just have a messy install so i'm going to wipe and clean install again this weekend, carefully reinstalling all programs etc cause it was very tricky with some the first time... Hopefully it will run a lot smoother then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm getting crashes, feeezes and blue screens all over the place. Am i the only one?

I'd say I just have a messy install so i'm going to wipe and clean install again this weekend, carefully reinstalling all programs etc cause it was very tricky with some the first time... Hopefully it will run a lot smoother then.
    Well for me, the base install has been solid. No crashes to report. Clean install on it's own partition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah it was fine for the first day or so before I started installing lots of other programs.

When I go fullscreen in youtube etc it freezes, trying to remote access vial log me in kills it too. Prob bad drivers on my pc. Hopefully a careful reinstall will solve it.

You could try install things over a few days, see when the crashes start to happen and find the culprit that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Useful blog post for any using 7:

Tim Sneath: The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Zascar wrote: »

Got my first BSOD today (in a VM). Have only installed Firefox.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stephen wrote: »
    Most of the rumours are claiming that it'll be released in the summer, and tbh I wouldn't bet against it given how polished the beta is now.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/letter.mspx You have told us you want a more regular, predictable Windows release schedule. To this end, our plan is to deliver Windows 7 approximately 3 years after the January 2007 general availability launch date of Windows Vista.

microsoft have a long history of early announcements to keep the punters interested but late releases and tbh I wouldn't like to use any Brand new Microsoft OS on a production system until SP1 was available, and in many cases you need the third release for things to settle down nicely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista Microsoft began work on Windows Vista, known at the time by its codename Longhorn in May 2001,[13] five months before the release of Windows XP. It was originally expected to ship sometime late in 2003 as a minor step between Windows XP and Blackcomb, which was planned to be the company's next major operating system release.
    Some previously announced features such as WinFS were dropped or postponed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

stevenmu wrote: »
    Useful blog post for any using 7:

Tim Sneath: The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets

Just flicking throught that and noticed the following. So true. :D
    As a result, the first thing I do when I set up any new computer is to dock the taskbar to the left hand side of the screen. I can understand why we don’t set this by default – can you imagine the complaints from enterprise IT departments who have to retrain all their staff

Working in IT, you'd be amazed at the ridiculous amount of support calls the slightest cosmetic change will generate :pac:

We haven't deployed Office 2007 yet purely because the muppet population won't be able to handle the new ribbon menus without extensive training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well in fairness Stephen Office 07 is a lot slower than Office 03 especially Outlook, any word on a new faster version of Office?

Just flicking throught that and noticed the following. So true. :D
    Trained Monkeys Ted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭SlyRax

I really hope they offer a free upgrade form vista or at least really really cheap. I'll feel really hard done by if they don't.

SlyRax wrote: »
    I really hope they offer a free upgrade form vista or at least really really cheap. I'll feel really hard done by if they don't.
    Free upgrade is for machines bought after August this year or something afair reading.

/ed

Actually:

"Microsoft will offer free or discounted Windows 7 upgrades to users who buy Vista PCs after July 1, according to a website that has accurately predicted the company's moves in the past."

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=109135

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SlyRax wrote: »
    why would they change a business model that makes them billions a year , just exactly how much would that increase their market share ?

If you don't want to pay the microsoft tax , just use a different OS ;)
    Otherwise cough up and accept the EULA or use the beta's / trial versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Working in IT, you'd be amazed at the ridiculous amount of support calls the slightest cosmetic change will generate :pac:

We haven't deployed Office 2007 yet purely because the muppet population won't be able to handle the new ribbon menus without extensive training.
    Reminds me of the Lanrod Eireann Strike :pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Lanrod Eireann Strike :pac:
    Iarnród Éireann? What happened there?

I think he's referring to how they demand pay increases for any change in working conditions. For example, refusing to drive brand new trains. Refusing to accompany new drivers undergoing training, etc.

I think he's referring to how they demand pay increases for any change in working conditions. For example, refusing to drive brand new trains. Refusing to accompany new drivers undergoing training, etc.
    Ah ya, that's normal enough. That's their way.

cba looking up the link but some people in the US are very upset at vista, it takes 10 minutes longer to start up and that's how the company clocks them in for timekeeping :P

• Advertisement

cba looking up the link but some people in the US are very upset at vista, it takes 10 minutes longer to start up and that's how the company clocks them in for timekeeping :P
    I remember reading that, can't blame them if they're losing money. 10 minutes though, must be really poor hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Running now on my NC10.. a definite improvement over Vista. Only 2 things I don't like (on first impressions) is:

i) that new taskbar - was never a fan of the combining that Windows brought in on default in XP, and the new larger icons are horrific. Changed that back immediately.
    ii) please say I can get the 'Classic Start Menu' back - I've always hated the new fangled one (also brought in on XP).

Some nice visuals.. but all I've noticed so far is visuals. And not to start a "flame war" but most of these have been present in Mac OS for a few years.

basquille wrote: »
    Some nice visuals.. but all I've noticed so far is visuals. And not to start a "flame war" but most of these have been present in Mac OS for a few years.

Not at all, well you won't get one from me anyway. :) I think Vista was a blatant ripoff of Aqua and I'm not even a "Mac head." Some Dell laptops are even shipping with a dock to top it off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

I've had it for the last 5 days in VM, and it seems fine. I think I might try and try the upgrade install on top of Vista-SP1 on my laptop. I am worried about drivers, what with it being a laptop and all that, but installing 32bit 7 on top of 32 bit Vista should theoretically keep everything intact, including the drivers.

I have Vista DvD that came in the box.
    I have system drivers disk.
    I have everything I want backed up, backed up... or on an external drive.

I'm worried about it mucking up grub on me, but there'll be water if God wills it in that case. It'll do that with anything. (And I've been wanting an excuse to try Fedora 9)

Being myself though, I poked around google for a few minutes seeing if anyone's installed 7 on an XPS1530, so I could see what problems they were having. I couldn't find any examples out there....

Maybe somebody here might've done it.

If not, I guess I'll have to report about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Let me know if you decide to do a Upgrade and see how that goes? I am not in the humour to do a full clean install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭tech

a clean install is the way forward !!! fupppp upgrading

i completely agree but lazyness.

windows 7 installs very quick!!!

Its not the installing part its the setting up of it :P, ah i see your in cork sure you can come over and set it up for me.

• Advertisement

i will ya! u big T00l ya!! only messing!

Advertisement