Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

JohnK wrote: »
    The beta expires on August 1st, 2009
    How do people not know this when they're downloading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,020 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Everywhere it mentions this. On the blogs, and im pretty sure, on the beta main page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Finally got around to installing Win 7 today and Macdrive doesnt work and all my hard drives (ext) are formattyin in HFS is there anyway of accessing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

I think I may have a memory leak in the desktop somewhere. About an hour ago Firefox started having problems rendering pages, before finally killing itself. Ctrl-alt-delete. Come back, and the wallpaper has gone black and resolution has dropped first to about 1024x720... then to 640x400. Any attempt to get back native resolution, it immediately drops to 8-bit colour. Could get back to 32-bit though

Aero keeps working, so it's not the Nvidia driver murdering itself, like I thought at first.

From system logs right when the shebang started:
    'Failed to create a desktop due to desktop heap exhaustion.'

Posting the whole lot of it here, because that's right when it started to break. I'm hoping somebody has an idea what this means. Of course, I'm going out into google meself to have a look.... But this has happened twice now, and in much the same manner each time. Definitely an odd one. Google shows this also happening to some Vista users leaving their computer running for some time, and a very information dense msdn blog that just goes over my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Finally got around to installing Win 7 today and Macdrive doesnt work and all my hard drives (ext) are formattyin in HFS is there anyway of accessing them?
    Doubt it -- it is very likely installing it adds a kernel module and the current version of Macdrive almost certainly doesn't support the kernel in the beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

hi, did anyone here ever installed Microsoft office 2003 or 2007 on Win7?... I tried but always failed to execute setup file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

erie wrote: »
    hi, did anyone here ever installed Microsoft office 2003 or 2007 on Win7?... I tried but always failed to execute setup file.
    2007 definitely works. 2003 probably works. Any errors of any sort when you try? Did you try installing it in compatibility mode?

And sure enough, she's doing it again.

Seems to be consistant after the system has been in use for a while.

I see that drag and drop at the command prompt has returned! It was one of the things I despised about Vista. :)

yap... I tried so many time.... it shown 'Windows Installer Stop Working' after execute setup.exe from Microsoft Office CD.

• Advertisement

finally I've found how to fix incompatible issue on Windows 7... here :

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/19/windows-7-beta-testers-find-critical-windows-installer-bug

then just finished install Office 2003...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ethernet wrote: »
    2007 definitely works. 2003 probably works. Any errors of any sort when you try? Did you try installing it in compatibility mode?
    I'll have to try installing my beloved office 2000 and report back.

Has any one else tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I'll have to try installing my beloved office 2000 and report back.

Has any one else tried it?

Yep - installed it on a sisters laptpop running windows 7 the other day 'office premium 2000' - runs fine (didnt do the outlook part). Each app loaded in less than a half second flat - possibly due to it all being a new install.

4th time. After 4 hours continuous use it breaks. That's it. I've been reading up on the error, and I'm nowhere near competant enough to fix it. There's a lot of 'crap' on the HDD anyway, it really does need a good clearing out.

Going to wipe the Harddrive, and go for a native install, rather than upgrade. I have Vista disk and drivers disk in case it doesn't work.

Linux can be reinstalled by a monkey.
    Files I want can be saved elsewhere.

I just need to know if the Win7 activation key will work again for a Native install?
    And will Kaspersky AV reactivate after I reinstall onto it?

Damned software keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Each windows key will work on up to 3 machines so you should have no trouble re-using it.

You can install it without a key too. I accidentally hit 'enter' at the key prompt and it continued on through with the install.

You can then boot up into windows 7 normally - though this will probably time out sooner or later. To add the key in later help->'activation key' should drop you to the menu to enter it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah you have 30 days to enter a key before it'll stop working

Thankee Sai's...

The EULA for the beta says that it can be installed on any number of PC's for 'Testing purposes only'. I had a feeling it might've been some restriction like that, but I wasn't quite sure whether it would work right off, or whether I'd have to ring up Microsoft.

(Which reminds me, I should write the key down for my Laptop's Vista disk. It's starting to wear off)

Now then, I'm googling Kaspersky, and it's saying I should just nuke it and reinput the product key when I reinstall. Well, that seems wonderfully simple, but I'm still not sure. It seems odd to me. (Yes, I know Kas' have an AV for windows 7, but I have the install disk anyway, so what the hell)

I'll report back on what sort of Install I get, and how the Dell drivers react to the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

hi, i have 7 installed on an old laptop of mine as the only OS, tried to install hp deskjet printer cd, obviously it doesnt support, and couldnt install, any ideas for me as alternative ?

eta remembered i can run it in vista compatibility mode !! doh !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_7_gaming_performance/default.asp

Basically Crysis on DX9, apart from one resolution XP wins, win7 2nd. and Vista last.

On DX10, Vista is much faster than Win7

This expiring beta is for something that should be SP3 for Vista or at best Win NT Ver 6.2 (SP2 is now delayed since november 2008, suspicious?).

Instead all the people already stuck with vista and wiped & re-installed Win7 are expected to cough up full price in Aug 2009 when beta turns off.

/me looks for coat. (It's the one with beta copies of Win8 and OS XI)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Morlar wrote: »
    Yep - installed it on a sisters laptpop running windows 7 the other day 'office premium 2000' - runs fine (didnt do the outlook part). Each app loaded in less than a half second flat - possibly due to it all being a new install.
    http://officeupdates.microsoft.com don't work with vista :(
    so you will probably have to get the tool from http://secunia.org to check for patches after you've applied service pack 1 and 3 for office 2000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote:
    Instead all the people already stuck with vista and wiped & re-installed Win7 are expected to cough up full price in Aug 2009 when beta turns off.
    Just because they've tried that trick before with every new windows launch where your old version won't install over the beta or read all your data after the trial ends doesn't mean they'll try it again this time *

* doesn't mean they won't either , and lots of people don't have Vista DVD due to pre-install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But Win7 *IS* mostly better than Vista (not hard) so they got the users *coming* AND *going* :(

Mine :

DELL Dimension 2400 (yr 2003)
    - Intel P4 2.80GHz prosessor, 533MHz FSB
    - Intel 845GV Chipset
    - 2GB SDRAM PC3200 RAM
    - Intel Extreme 3D Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
    - Intergrated SoundMax Sound
    - v.92 56 Kbps PCI Modem and 10/100 Ethernet
    - DVD-ROM RW
    - Windows XP SP2 Home Ed
    - HDD 80GB IDE + 300GB 2nd IDE

*Installed Windows 7 as dualboot (Windows 7 partition = 30GB)

My Laptop :

SONY VAIO VGNSZ4MN/B (yr 2007)
    - Intel Core 2 T5600 1.83GHz, 667MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache
    - 2GB DDR2 533MHz RAM
    - DVD+/-RW Super Multi Double Layer
    - NVidia GeForce Go7400 Graphic with 128MB shared memory
    - a/b/g Wireless + Bluetooth
    - Built-in 'Motion Eye' Digital Camera
    - Sigmatel CXD9872 High Definition Audio Codec
    - Windows Vista Business Ed
    - HDD 100GB S-ATA

*Installed Windows 7 as dualboot (Windows 7 partition = 16GB)

---- Installed and running perfect, only have a problem with NVidia driver then solved after 1st updated ----

Oddly enough, some games give/gave me better performance under 7. Bioshock being the notable one. Of course, I has to reinstall, but now, lets see.

Specs:
    Dell XPS M1530
    130-odd GB partition.
    2.5ghz Core2Duo
    4GB DDR2 667
    Nvidia 8600Gt 256 MB.

Some bugs. It likes killing itself after 4.6 hours (I have no idea if using a Native install has fixed this yet, had it running for only three or so). The odd app doesnt work, fingerprint reader doesnt enrol. Most drivers I need do. Dell Webcam centre works. It's pretty snappy, but still a little slow to boot. I've disabled bluetooth on my laptop anyway, since I never use it, therefore it hasn't been tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

M1330, forget the spec.

I have put it on a couple :

A Packard Bell P4 3.0 ghz 2gb Ram, xfi fatality, 7800GTX, DVD RW -

no problems that I know of.

Also on a IBM Thinkpad T41 1.4ghz Pentium Mobile, 2gb Ram, DVD/CDRW -

does not recognise the wireless chipset,
    misidentified the video card (now ok).
    No sound - still not ok & havent had time to look at that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

It's been going pretty fine on my Dell Inspiron 6000.

Pentium M 1.86Ghz,
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    128mb ATI Radeon X300

Did have some problems with the system becoming unresponsive after a few days without a reboot. Seems to have issues with subtitles, and Windows Picture Viewer tends to crash.

Seconding that subtitles issue. CCCP can be made to work I read, but I can't seem to do it myself. Zoom player subs do work on .mkv's, and that comes with CCCP. I think it asks you to pay though. VLC subs also sometimes don't show up. They did with the older version, but I lost that when I reinstalled.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Gotta say I'm liking Windows 7, its a beta and its still miles ahead of Vista :pac:

Advertisement