Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

erie wrote: »
    Mine :

DELL Dimension 2400 (yr 2003)
    - Intel P4 2.80GHz prosessor, 533MHz FSB
    - Intel 845GV Chipset
    - 2GB SDRAM PC3200 RAM
    - Intel Extreme 3D Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
    - Intergrated SoundMax Sound
    - v.92 56 Kbps PCI Modem and 10/100 Ethernet
    - DVD-ROM RW
    - Windows XP SP2 Home Ed
    - HDD 80GB IDE + 300GB 2nd IDE

*Installed Windows 7 as dualboot (Windows 7 partition = 30GB)

My Laptop :

SONY VAIO VGNSZ4MN/B (yr 2007)
    - Intel Core 2 T5600 1.83GHz, 667MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache
    - 2GB DDR2 533MHz RAM
    - DVD+/-RW Super Multi Double Layer
    - NVidia GeForce Go7400 Graphic with 128MB shared memory
    - a/b/g Wireless + Bluetooth
    - Built-in 'Motion Eye' Digital Camera
    - Sigmatel CXD9872 High Definition Audio Codec
    - Windows Vista Business Ed
    - HDD 100GB S-ATA

*Installed Windows 7 as dualboot (Windows 7 partition = 16GB)

---- Installed and running perfect, only have a problem with NVidia driver then solved after 1st updated ----
    Installed this yesterday, I'm really liking it. It IS miles ahead of vista... Tried playing crysis at full spec and win7 ran it no problem! CPU usage was 12%!!!

I have win 7 installed on a spare hdd i had lying around. So far the only problem I've had is I can't get a driver for my wireless to suit win7. Any ideas?

PC SPEC

Intel Pentium D 3.2GHZ
    ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium
    4GB DDR2 ram (3.2 when in XP, 4.0 in win 7)
    EVGA 9800GTX 512mb DDR2
    X-Fi Soundcard
    Barracuda 400GB (Windows XP)
    Barracuda 500GB (Windows 7)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

4GB DDR2 ram (3.2 when in XP, 4.0 in win 7)
    It can only see the 4gb. It can't use more than 3.25gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have win 7 installed on a spare hdd i had lying around. So far the only problem I've had is I can't get a driver for my wireless to suit win7. Any ideas?

Vista drivers should work on 7, if they're available.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Whoever said diskmagic was shíte was correct. Everytime I tried to run the mounted image it would crap out and take windows with it. :( Virtual Clonedrive has been working with no problems so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

jmccrohan wrote: »
    It can only see the 4gb. It can't use more than 3.25gb.

NT4.0 Enterprise Edition Server from more than 10 years ago can see 4Gbyte. Though mine only used 24M of it's available 128M to run Mail Server, File & Printer Server, NTTP, Web and SQL servers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

watty wrote: »
    NT4.0 Enterprise Edition Server from more than 10 years ago can see 4Gbyte. Though mine only used 24M of it's available 128M to run Mail Server, File & Printer Server, NTTP, Web and SQL servers :rolleyes:
    Alright Watty... we get the message... :rolleyes:

Yep, support for PAE36 was removed in XP SP2. Microsoft claimed it was too unstable. I remembered testing it on XP Home with SP1 on a test bed, seemed perfectly fine to me and all 4GB I had was usable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brendon31

how do u install windows 7 onto your machine so that i can run it and see how i like it!

brendon31 wrote: »
    how do u install windows 7 onto your machine so that i can run it and see how i like it!

If you don't know how, then it's likely you will lose all your data and programs.

In descending order of goodness:
    1. A separate computer
    2. A separate hard Drive
    3. Separate partition on same drive

It expires in August and is basically free testing for Microsoft. Really unless you are expert it's better to wait for final version and maybe 1st Service Pack and lots of expert reveiws some months after the final version in in Retail. Unless you are already running Vista, it's not likely to be a good idea.

If you do decide to install it on your existing setup, do make a copy of all your data and verify it is correct and make sure you have all disks, licence keys and drivers to re-install what you have now.

You need at least 1.5GByte RAM, 1.6GHz Pentium 4 or later or equivalent, about 20Gbyte free disk space for a separate install (don't forget you want to test all your games/Applications) and most importantly compatible Network Interface to Internet and real high end DX10 compatible Graphics card.

If your computer can't run Aero of Vista, or came with only Home Basic Vista or has an earlier Windows, then it's likely to be very lacking in the Graphics card aspect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> and real high end DX10 compatible Graphics card.

A DX9 card is all you need to run Windows7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

You need at least 1.5GByte RAM, 1.6GHz Pentium 4 or later or equivalent, about 20Gbyte free disk space for a separate install (don't forget you want to test all your games/Applications) and most importantly compatible Network Interface to Internet and real high end DX10 compatible Graphics card.

I'm running windows 7 with flair with 1 Gig of RAM, and it runs quite well on an older dell d600 laptop wioth 512meg RAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Run it in Virtualisation right down to between 512 and a gig. runs fine even without hardware acceleration, though Aero refuses to work. If you want Aero, you need some sort of graphics processor, even Intel integrated graphics seem to be enough to handle it.

I read somewhere that an Intel GMA950 is about the lowest you can get away with to run Aero. That just happens to be the chipset used in most Atom-based netbooks.

Stephen wrote: »
    I read somewhere that an Intel GMA950 is about the lowest you can get away with to run Aero. That just happens to be the chipset used in most Atom-based netbooks.

That's the i945 chipset, same requirement as Vista so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm going to download the beta now. Should I get the 64bit or will no software run on it like with vista?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was wondering that too, what is the point in using x64, apart from support for more than 4gb of ram?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,020 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whoever said diskmagic was shíte was correct. Everytime I tried to run the mounted image it would crap out and take windows with it. :( Virtual Clonedrive has been working with no problems so far.
    I told you to unmount the previous volume first before mounting another, didnt I.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    I told you to unmount the previous volume first before mounting another, didnt I.

That was the first image I mounted with it.

If your computer can't run Aero of Vista, or came with only Home Basic Vista or has an earlier Windows, then it's likely to be very lacking in the Graphics card aspect.

I'd have to disagree with you there. My 4211 with it's crappy integrated intel graphics runs it like a dream.

Zascar wrote: »
    I was wondering that too, what is the point in using x64, apart from support for more than 4gb of ram?

Not much else really, that's the main reason for it. 64-bit applications should theoretically run faster than their 32-bit counterparts but there's not many (if any?) AMD64 exclusive apps right now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you don't know how, then it's likely you will lose all your data and programs.
    LOL ,funny 'cos it's true.
    In descending order of goodness:
    1. A separate computer
    2. A separate hard Drive
    3. Separate partition on same drive
    1. A separate computer
    2. Virtual machine, slower but less likely to trash your current system
    3. A separate hard Drive
    4. Separate partition on same drive

• Advertisement

Need twice the RAM for a VM.
    Forgot about VM :)

Me that uses them. However unless you have built your own and used it before a fresh install of Win7 is tried.

I can't get the us robotics drivers for my usb wireless adapter to work with 7. They only have one for all windows editions 32 and 64bit. Tried the have disk way but it didn't work.

I'll try and scrouge up some different brands tomorrow and see if they work but it'll be a pain in the hole. there's no chance of connecting directly into the router.

It seems very sluggish though. I got a score of 3 in the system rating thing. It was the hard drive that got that score. It's a sata drive but I have a scsi card in there too that hasn't got a driver under 7. It's installed on a second hard drive 30gb partition out of 250gb total on the drive.

core2duo
    4gigram
    HD4870

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Lads, has any of ur systems taken an age to load on start-up? Mine seems to hang for ages and then it eventually loads windows???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Dartz wrote: »
    One thing really annoys me though, it overwrote Grub with it's own bootloader, and orphaned my Ubuntu install. I have to figure out how to get that back, without reinstalling the lot of it. .

Easily done with a Live CD, only takes a few minutes:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Dartz wrote: »
    One thing really annoys me though, it overwrote Grub with it's own bootloader, and orphaned my Ubuntu install. I have to figure out how to get that back, without reinstalling the lot of it. That's a pain in the whole considering Ubuntu is my primary OS.... it's not a very nice thing for a piece of beta software to do on the machine it's being tested on.

I can understand why it does it though. It's safer to install a known good MBR than to trust the one that's there, if you don't overwrite it then you're running the risk of the machine being unbootable. Fair enough they could (or should) detect a Linux MBR and make the changes itself but I guess some users might not be happy with "M$ in your grubz, modding your confz." ;)

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm going to download the beta now. Should I get the 64bit or will no software run on it like with vista?

I've been running 64-bit Vista for 2 years now and I haven't come across anything that doesn't work with it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Is there any way to add Ubuntu to that Windows bootloader?

I have to say I'm absolutely in love with the Windows 7 beta. I've been using the 64bit version for about a month now - with not one single problem yet. I can't wait for the next beta/final release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ok stupid question here.. How in gods name do you make the theme on it black? Like in the 1st few screen of it in this thread... I really cant do it and its bothering me as id usually have it done in 2 seconds... Its dark.. but its not black.. :mad:

EDIT: nvm I put on a black background and its looks good now.. weird.

Overall im really liking it! I installed it on a refurbished dell laptop running with nvidia 8600M GT 2.10GHz core2duo 3GB Ram 17" screen(bargain at 650euro) and ive been playing with it the last hour and ive found nothing bad yet..

Whats this yoke in the top left though.. and what gadgets are on the top right? :p

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/55419/omfg%20win7.jpg

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote: »
    I've been running 64-bit Vista for 2 years now and I haven't come across anything that doesn't work with it yet.
    Bar netgears usb network adapter or US robotics.

there's not much more I can do with it now it won't go online.

Advertisement