Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Tried installing the RC on my Dell gx 270 here, no matter what I do windows wont install my drivers for my onboard graphics. Its weird cause I dont remember any hassle with the beta!

Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Having a problem upgrading from Vista SP1...

Its copying the files in the installation screen, and gets to 94/5% when the following message comes up:

21o79qg.jpg

What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the file, put it on a DVD and run the DVD from the normal windows page. I didnt 'clean install', but just chose the upgrade option. Also I didnt boot it form the DVD through the BIOS at startup. Does anything above make a difference?

I have already re-downloaded the file just incase that was the problem but it was the same.

Any ideas???

Thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You could always install it onto a new partition along side Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Quad booting Windows 7 RC1 with XP, Vista & Ubuntu 9.04. Going quite well, it doesn't rape the CPU unlike Vista, and is parallel to XP with regards responsiveness and speed on my system.

I wouldn't be mad on it as a primary operating system though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm having major issues with Windows 7 on my netbook. BSOD all over the shop, it appears to happen whenever i hibernate/sleep my laptop that it just dies. I then have to go back and forth a few times into safe mode to get it to run okay...
    Me thinks i'll do a re-install.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

How is W7 for gaming guys, anyone played TF2 on it?

My Vista install is pretty old and clunky now and I don't mind replacing it with the RC 7100 64 bit edition if it's stable enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't played TF2 on it but I've played loads of other games on it. They run like a dream. I've crysis warhead completly maxed out (no AA though) at 1920x1200 with my Q6600 and 4870 1GB and very smooth frame rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bob, I've been playing TF2 and Left 4 Dead on it. Both run fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone playing with the XP virtualisation? I've had a quick look today and it's pretty slick, running apps 7 wouldnt install with no problem..could be a killer app for some businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Have the Punkbuster issues been resolved ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wasn't aware of any punkbuster issues, but I've been playing the Battlefield Heroes beta on Win 7 x64 with no problems and that uses punkbuster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Stephen wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of any punkbuster issues, but I've been playing the Battlefield Heroes beta on Win 7 x64 with no problems and that uses punkbuster.

Seems to be ok with the 7100 release. BF2 didn't work with 7000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'm having major issues with Windows 7 on my netbook. BSOD all over the shop, it appears to happen whenever i hibernate/sleep my laptop that it just dies. I then have to go back and forth a few times into safe mode to get it to run okay...

First thing to check is how new is the BIOS on your netbook - is there an update? Might assist - not so much because windows 7 is new, but more because netbooks are a relatively recent phenomenom

second thing i'd check - is there any software running on the netbook that might interfere with the hibernate /sleep operation? I found Avast antivirus was the culprit in my case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I was getting BSOD whenever i tried to restart. It performed some sort of memory dump. Turned out it was a wireless dongle i was using, some sort of memory conflict.

Any strange hardware runnign on the machine?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

JohnK wrote: »
    Nope, I've just started the download now and its working fine. If it makes any difference I clicked on the link in the IT Pro box next to the language dropdowns.

I think I'm going mad - I know I downloaded the ISO, hell I even posted about it above but I cant find it anywhere on my computer. And its not just that, I cant find the product key it gave me either. Wtf?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

This is annoying...the laptop works fairly fine with the RC but startup is longer and anytime I log in, the screen goes black for a while and then it loads :( Even when the UAC thing comes up, the screen goes black for a few seconds..it's annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Anyone else having problems with itunes? Last night it started saying i didn't have sufficient privileges to run the program, eventually got it working after messing around in compatibility troubleshooter. Apart from that minor hiccup I'm really liking windows 7. Why couldn't Microsoft not have just got it right the first time!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

BopNiblets wrote: »
    How is W7 for gaming guys, anyone played TF2 on it?

My Vista install is pretty old and clunky now and I don't mind replacing it with the RC 7100 64 bit edition if it's stable enough.

I've been trying to play COD4 on Win7 in Virtualbox but it doesn't lanuch, it gives a fatal error message about Directx. I saw a suggestion not to install the Directx from the CD but to get it from the Microsoft site. Tried this, still didn't work.

Anyone got this problem? Maybe it just won't run in a virtual machine due to the graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

I've been trying to play COD4 on Win7 in Virtualbox but it doesn't lanuch, it gives a fatal error message about Directx. I saw a suggestion not to install the Directx from the CD but to get it from the Microsoft site. Tried this, still didn't work.

Anyone got this problem? Maybe it just won't run in a virtual machine due to the graphics card.

You can't run Directx 3D in a virtual machine.

You can run OpenGL in Virtual Box but it's just not fast enough if you want to play games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

squared wrote: »
    Why couldn't Microsoft not have just got it right the first time!!:D

Because they make a great profit on selling half baked ****e to idoits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

elyod wrote: »
    You can't run Directx 3D in a virtual machine.

You can run OpenGL in Virtual Box but it's just not fast enough if you want to play games.

That's handy to know, thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

JohnK wrote: »
    I think I'm going mad - I know I downloaded the ISO, hell I even posted about it above but I cant find it anywhere on my computer. And its not just that, I cant find the product key it gave me either. Wtf?! :confused:

Lol JohnK,Like you i often find my enthusism far exceeds my knowledge and competance on OS,I had to download the iso twice and second time saved to downloads(at first it saved to recent places,but after a shutdown and restart,I found it in my downloads.

Then i opened my burning software(I used Roxio creatorDE,later i found out the DE stands for Dell edition:eek:)found it after using the browse option in Roxio and then burnt it.It installed fine then.

You can find your key by going to the download site as if you were just starting the download.If you log in with the windows live id you either created or already had you will get the key back you were given at download,just write the key down and go no further.

if all else fails ya will just have to go through the whole thing again from scratch:D:D:D:D(but will have to give a diffrient email adress for your confirmation email than 1st one you used.
    Good luck!:):):)

Did it first install the download manager?

Did you not rename it to something like windows 7?

Oh also i first burnt it to a dvd-RW disc but installation kept stopping.
    Then i burnt it to a DVD-R disc and it installed fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lydabryant

Hmmm... It's like Vista but just repackaged on the outside! :eek:

lydabryant wrote: »

I'm finding it quite difficult to get used to the Vista/7 interfaces, with every release there's more of a resemblance to a Mac; I can easily see Apple come up with "why buy a clone when you can buy the real thing?" I know the Superbar isn't exactly the same as the Dock but it still has a very similar feel to it. Not that there's anything wrong with the Apple interface, I'm just thinking I might as well jump ship if this is the way Windows is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Far from. The fit and finish that was sorely missing in Vista has been worked on and fixed in Win 7. Take for example calc or paint. In Vista they looked just like the XP/2000/Me/9x editions. In Win7 they have been overhauled.

Little things that made Vista look unfinished have been tidied up in 7. I skipped Vista on my work machine and went straight to Win7 x64 and I am very impressed with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 andyell

Hi
    I have installed the win 7RC on my laptop at work which is part of a domain, but I can not become a memeber of the domain. iam missing something minor as when i change the machine name and say i am a member of the domain it asks for user name and pwd but then rejhects me with a and error saying it cannot resolve the DNS of the domain controller.

It sis not inhibiting my access to the network as I can see all the machines servers printers etc but they can not see me as i am no longer part of the domain.

Any ideas welcome and thanks in advance.

Andy

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm finding it quite difficult to get used to the Vista/7 interfaces, with every release there's more of a resemblance to a Mac; I can easily see Apple come up with "why buy a clone when you can buy the real thing?" I know the Superbar isn't exactly the same as the Dock but it still has a very similar feel to it. Not that there's anything wrong with the Apple interface, I'm just thinking I might as well jump ship if this is the way Windows is going.

It has been like this for years every new release is more and more Mac like..... you know what they say .... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Andy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

andyell wrote: »
    Hi
    I have installed the win 7RC on my laptop at work which is part of a domain, but I can not become a memeber of the domain. iam missing something minor as when i change the machine name and say i am a member of the domain it asks for user name and pwd but then rejhects me with a and error saying it cannot resolve the DNS of the domain controller.

It sis not inhibiting my access to the network as I can see all the machines servers printers etc but they can not see me as i am no longer part of the domain.

Andy

Talk to your sys admin. He'll have access to join a machine to the domain.

Hi

Andy

Whats happening here is that your PC must be introduced to the Domain by the domain administrator. That's the password you need to type there...

• Advertisement

feylya wrote: »
    Talk to your sys admin. He'll have access to join a machine to the domain.

Beat me cause you typed less!

Dardania wrote: »
    Whats happening here is that your PC must be introduced to the Domain by the domain administrator. That's the password you need to type there...

I have the domain admin password and have tried to log on as the domain admin and this is still giveing the same error

I am thinking it is local security issues in win 7 but can not find it

andy

I have the domain admin password and have tried to log on as the domain admin and this is still giveing the same error

andy

from my limited knowledge of windows server (and having asked the IT admin in my work), you may have to check the entry for your pc in the windows server management console - there may be a conflict because your MAC address is associated wiuth a different computer name (from your previous windows installation)

Other than that - what way is the DNS configured on your desktop - is the windows server's DNS the first one? Are you entering the correct domain name for the domain?

andy

If you've used the same name as your old installation of windows, you'll need to reset the account in Active Directory. If you're using a new name, you'll have to create a new account in the correct OU.

When you're using the admin username and password, back sure to put the domain before it:

domain\username
    Password

If you've used the same name as your old installation of windows, you'll need to reset the account in Active Directory. If you're using a new name, you'll have to create a new account in the correct OU.

When you're using the admin username and password, back sure to put the domain before it:

domain\username
    Password

Afraid that did not work either

I have attached the exact error message i am recieving if this helps

Andy

Your domain more than likely would be sparkhq.com or similar...

try running IPCONFIG from the commandline of another pc thats on the domain

it should return sth like:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sparkhq.ie
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.123
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

whatever the Connection-specific DNS Suffix is is what you should be entering...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

other things to check
    ipconfig /all
    to confirm that the dns entry is pointing at the DC

nslookup server
    where server is the name of the domain controller

Does the computer have an account setup on the domain controller ?
    if no add one
    if it has then remove it and add it again, especially if you reused the same name from before the OS install

at a command prompt on another pc you can type
    set u
    to see the userdomain

Your domain more than likely would be sparkhq.com or similar...

Sparkhq worked prior to the 7 install and works for everyone else

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    try running IPCONFIG from the commandline of another pc thats on the domain

it should return sth like:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sparkhq.ie
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.123
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

whatever the Connection-specific DNS Suffix is is what you should be entering...

All the ip info is set correctly
    why do i need a DNS suffix when it was not there prior to the 7 INSTALL?

will try this in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Microsoft says it's working with 10,000 software and hardware manufacturers to maximize the compatibility of Windows 7, in an attempt to avoid one of the most critical issues with Windows Vista.

Bill Veghte, the Microsoft executive who oversees Windows development, says the work of 10,000 firms towards optimum compatibility is evidence that his company is serious about making the Windows 7 experience a convenient, easy, and enjoyable one.
    Veghte went on to say that the current efforts are unprecedented for the release candidate stage and Microsoft normally doesn't get to the 10,000 firm figure until the finished version goes on sale. (Source: crn.com)
    "Very very close" to Optimum Compatibility

Of course, it's not just the sheer number of companies with compatible products that affects the average user's experience. It's arguably more important that products from the major companies are compatible: one of the most significant problems with the release of Windows Vista was that Adobe didn't have a Vista driver for its Postscript printing system available.
    However, Veghte says the firm is "very very close" to getting compatibility across the product ranges of the major players. (Source: informationweek.com)
    Printers And Modems Less Problematic

Two major issues may already have been resolved. The biggest problem area with Vista was printers. During September 2008, after the first Service Pack had been distributed, 11.24% of attempts at installing a printer ended in failure. At the time, Microsoft's Chris Matichuk said a failure rate of anything above 3% was "not good".
    Vista's printer problems were down to the system struggling to cope with multifunction devices such as printers, scanners and fax machines. The system often recognized these functions as if they were independent devices, causing confusion. This could well be rectified with the revamped Device Manager in Windows 7.
    The new system should also have fewer problems with modems, which were the second biggest cause of hardware compatibility problems with Vista. That's because modems used for getting wireless Internet over 3G networks used a relatively new technology at the time. Now that the technology is firmly established, Windows 7 should do a better job of coping with it from the start.

All the ip info is set correctly
    why do i need a DNS suffix when it was not there prior to the 7 INSTALL?

so, the itemise - you have an IP address in the same range as all other clients, same subnet mask, gateway & DNS servers?

can you ping sparkhq? Actually - just noticed you always write it as Sparkhq...maybe try matching the character case as all the other clients?

Once you're completely happy with the IP level stuff above, the most likely issue that could be at play is how the Active Directory on the domain controller handles your pc as myself, feylya & Capt'n Midnight have said.

Good luck!

ynotdu wrote: »
    Microsoft says it's working with 10,000 software and hardware manufacturers to maximize the compatibility of Windows 7, in an attempt to avoid one of the most critical issues with Windows Vista.

Bill Veghte, the Microsoft executive who oversees Windows development, says the work of 10,000 firms towards optimum compatibility is evidence that his company is serious about making the Windows 7 experience a convenient, easy, and enjoyable one.
    Veghte went on to say that the current efforts are unprecedented for the release candidate stage and Microsoft normally doesn't get to the 10,000 firm figure until the finished version goes on sale. (Source: crn.com)
    "Very very close" to Optimum Compatibility

Of course, it's not just the sheer number of companies with compatible products that affects the average user's experience. It's arguably more important that products from the major companies are compatible: one of the most significant problems with the release of Windows Vista was that Adobe didn't have a Vista driver for its Postscript printing system available.
    However, Veghte says the firm is "very very close" to getting compatibility across the product ranges of the major players. (Source: informationweek.com)
    Printers And Modems Less Problematic

Two major issues may already have been resolved. The biggest problem area with Vista was printers. During September 2008, after the first Service Pack had been distributed, 11.24% of attempts at installing a printer ended in failure. At the time, Microsoft's Chris Matichuk said a failure rate of anything above 3% was "not good".
    Vista's printer problems were down to the system struggling to cope with multifunction devices such as printers, scanners and fax machines. The system often recognized these functions as if they were independent devices, causing confusion. This could well be rectified with the revamped Device Manager in Windows 7.
    The new system should also have fewer problems with modems, which were the second biggest cause of hardware compatibility problems with Vista. That's because modems used for getting wireless Internet over 3G networks used a relatively new technology at the time. Now that the technology is firmly established, Windows 7 should do a better job of coping with it from the start.

AGAIN - copying Apple ;-p

QUite impressed with the device support - particularly between build 7000 & 7100 - now my netbook doesn't need any drivers - previously I needed both wifi & lan, from the manufacturer - now it's built into the image. Nice touch.

Interestingly though, on my old Dell Latitude, the Intel BG2000 wifi card isn't recognised, and my Blackberry Pearl doesn't really load into device stage... I suspect both of these items are political rather than technical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I'm liking it so far, stable and fast.
    It's the little touches that get me like shaking a windows title bar to minimize any other windows and the auto resize to fill half the screen that you get when you drag a windows edge to your monitors edge. Very useful to easily compare two windows without awkward resizing

• Advertisement

Windows 7 RC1 Will Auto Shut Down Every Two Hours, Months Before Expiration
    Windows 7 RC1 doesn't expire until June 1, but we found a catch, and it's a pretty horrible one. Starting March 1, it'll shut down every two hours.

Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You'll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.

http://gizmodo.com/5240677/windows-7-rc1-will-auto-shut-down-every-two-hours-months-before-expiration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Windows 7 RC1 Will Auto Shut Down Every Two Hours, Months Before Expiration

http://gizmodo.com/5240677/windows-7-rc1-will-auto-shut-down-every-two-hours-months-before-expiration

This has been known since just before they launched the RC ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

This is out in October though right? So plenty of time to buy it before the expiration shut-downs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I bet the October the current Beta of Ubuntu comes out is an earlier one and that it's much cheaper and faster.

(Hugs volume licence edition Windows Professional XP CD).

October is OEM shipping date. The Retail copies will be a bit later. But likely in time for Santa.

Hi Just to say I tried the NSLookup etc and the messages back imply that the problem is actually on the network as as teh lookup brought back an error not just on a win 7 machine but also on a XP machine that is a part of the domain.

I can only assume that there has been even more enhancements now to 7 and this is stopping me registering on the domain.

I have the domain admin trying to find the answer

Thanks for all your replies

Andy

• Advertisement
Advertisement