Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

Is there any differences between RC 7100 and the new build RTM 7127 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

andyell wrote: »
    Hi Just to say I tried the NSLookup etc and the messages back imply that the problem is actually on the network as as teh lookup brought back an error not just on a win 7 machine but also on a XP machine that is a part of the domain.

I can only assume that there has been even more enhancements now to 7 and this is stopping me registering on the domain.

I have the domain admin trying to find the answer

Thanks for all your replies

Andy

maybe the xp machines were loaded from an image, with the hosts file setup with the domaincontroller listed...

Or - as you seem to be experiencing the problem is on the network - maybe all the xp machines were associated with the domain controller, the problem occured (DNS service stopped on the server, DHCP handing out wrong DNS info whatever) and then you come along with a fresh windows installation (doesn't matter that it's win 7) and have probs.

I'd be curious to know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 andyell

Dardania wrote: »
    maybe the xp machines were loaded from an image, with the hosts file setup with the domaincontroller listed...

Or - as you seem to be experiencing the problem is on the network - maybe all the xp machines were associated with the domain controller, the problem occured (DNS service stopped on the server, DHCP handing out wrong DNS info whatever) and then you come along with a fresh windows installation (doesn't matter that it's win 7) and have probs.

I'd be curious to know how you get on!

I am now waiting for the main domain admin to investigate the settings, the plan is to install 7 on another laptop later in the week and thhen try to register this machine on the network and see how we get on .

I will keep you posted

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

Pentium M 1.4GHz Processor
    512MB PC 2100 DDR2 Memory
    40 Gigs Hard Drive
    CD Rom
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 Video card
    802.11 wireless card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

They recommend 1 gig of ram minumum,but to fulfill your curiosity use the seach engine on the windows update site to search for a programme called: windows 7 upgrade advisor,it scans your hardware and gives you a report.
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

bonkers wrote: »
    40 Gigs Hard Drive
    CD Rom
    802.11 wireless card

It's probably possible, but like a drunk slug compared to properly configured XP.

That's a nice system for XP, Fedora, Ubuntu etc. Not for Win7

CPU too slow.
    Need x3 memory.
    Graphic card inadequate.
    - Might Need DVD for retail SW?

The wireless card is not relevant. But you don't say what kind it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

bonkers wrote: »
    40 Gigs Hard Drive
    CD Rom
    802.11 wireless card
    Sounds like a Dell Latitude D600, havent tried it myself on mine. Would be interested in seeing how it works for you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

BigEejit wrote: »
    Sounds like a Dell Latitude D600, havent tried it myself on mine. Would be interested in seeing how it works for you :P

put it on an old dell latitude d600 with a similar spec (1.6GGHz processor). It works...no doubt about that, but not the fastest... Works grand for burning DVDs though.

BTW I note that the Intel 2100 wifi card isn't automatically loaded - you have to manually get the driver from intel.

Hey all,

Wondering if someone could do me a small favour and answer some quick questions for me (don't fancy reading through 48 pages :o )

- Is Windows 7 the next operating system after Vista?

- If the above is correct, how come Vista came and went so fast?!

- Again, if the above is accurate, any idea when this will start being put on laptops, etc. as the default OS. I'm looking at getting a new laptop, should i wait it out? (and if i buy a laptop today, if i want to switch over to 7 when it appears, will it cost much/be much hassle?)

Sorry for the really dumbed down questions. I'm not very good with this kinda thing at all. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

- Is Windows 7 the next operating system after Vista?
    Yes
    - If the above is correct, how come Vista came and went so fast?!
    Because there is money to be made from releasing new operating systems which have minimal improvements over the previous one, and over charging for it.
    - Again, if the above is accurate, any idea when this will start being put on laptops, etc. as the default OS. I'm looking at getting a new laptop, should i wait it out? (and if i buy a laptop today, if i want to switch over to 7 when it appears, will it cost much/be much hassle?)

Should see it on laptops near the end of the year. I'd wait until then because it will cost you a bomb to buy Windows 7 off the shelf so soon after it will be released. Just bide your time and wait for a laptop to come along with it pre-installed.

• Advertisement

Can I ask, when you say it will have "minimal improvements over the previous one" you get me a little concerned. Is it even worth my while going for it if it's not going to be anything amazing.

Despite the hatred that people often rant about concerning Vista, I've nothing to complain about with it. Personally, I think it's great.

Being honest, should I just forget about Windows 7 until i'm buying a new desktop/laptop in two or three years when all the issues have been worked out (im sure there will be problems with it at first) and stick with Vista in the mean time (As i say, I'v eno problem with Vista, but I assumed Windows 7 would be significantly better in many ways before you replied).

Cheers :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If the above is correct, how come Vista came and went so fast?!

Well it hasn't really been that fast. Vista will be out for around 3 years when 7 is released. XP lasted a hell of a lot longer though simply because Vista suffered from loads of delays (pity we still haven't seen winfs).
    Again, if the above is accurate, any idea when this will start being put on laptops, etc. as the default OS. I'm looking at getting a new laptop, should i wait it out? (and if i buy a laptop today, if i want to switch over to 7 when it appears, will it cost much/be much hassle?)

Acer have said they'll have computers with 7 near the end of october. So that is the rumoured release date. Whether it is or not is another thing. Microsoft have stated that they want to keep to a three year release cycle at most. This would put it at January at the latest. It'll probably be out before Christmas though.

Well it hasn't really been that fast. Vista will be out for around 3 years when 7 is released. XP lasted a hell of a lot longer though simply because Vista suffered from loads of delays (pity we still haven't seen winfs).

Seems very fast, to me. I'd have assumed an OS would have a similar life time as a console for example. eg: PS2, PS3, XBox, etc. all get at least 5 years here and there. I know you don't need to buy a new computer in order to get a new OS, but still seems like something I think they should do every 5 years or so (unless they've come up with something that will signifanctly change a lot of things on a computer).

No idea what WinFS is, but wikipedia makes it look pretty interesting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can I ask, when you say it will have "minimal improvements over the previous one" you get me a little concerned. Is it even worth my while going for it if it's not going to be anything amazing.

Despite the hatred that people often rant about concerning Vista, I've nothing to complain about with it. Personally, I think it's great.

Being honest, should I just forget about Windows 7 until i'm buying a new desktop/laptop in two or three years when all the issues have been worked out (im sure there will be problems with it at first) and stick with Vista in the mean time (As i say, I'v eno problem with Vista, but I assumed Windows 7 would be significantly better in many ways before you replied).

Cheers :)

That depends really. I find some of the improvements great in 7. I can't really compare it to vista as I haven't used vista much (I was planning on installing vista on my desktop but the 7 beta was released a few days before I got all the parts for it). If I were you I'd try the beta out. Dual boot it with vista if needs be. It'll cost you nothing except for some time. Then when 7 comes out and you know the price decide if the extra cost is worth the extra features.

If you are on about buying a new computer and then downgrading to vista/xp then I definitely wouldn't. In my opinion 7 is much better. You may not like it though.

So try it out and see what you think. Worst case scenario, you don't like it or don't think it's that big an improvement over vista and you have to uninstall it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Well in terms of the fundamentals, Windows operating systems haven't come that far since Windows 2k.

It's all been about pretty user interfaces and dumbing down to be honest.

Windows 7 will be solid enough on release. Vista was what you could call a beta version of Windows 7. So we've already gone through the problems with Vista and they have been now corrected with Windows 7.

Personally I wouldn't want to stick with Vista for another two or three years. I'd wait till October / November and buy then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XP came out very soon after windows 2000, apart from that its roughly one every 3 years, similar to the life cycle of Intel chips

LOL at winfs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever
    On 14 May, 2009, Take-Two filed a lawsuit against 3D Realms – known by its legal name in the case, Apogee Software Ltd – over their failure to complete Duke Nukem Forever,

elyod wrote: »
    Vista was what you could call a beta version of Windows 7. So we've already gone through the problems with Vista and they have been now corrected with Windows 7.

I wouldn't call vista a beta version of 7. It was a bit dodgy at launch because of fairly crap driver support and the fact it was put on pretty lowend hardware (seen a dell laptop running vista with 512MB ram and a really low end celeron, had to install xp on it and even that was relatively slow). XP had the same driver problems and I imagine it was put on low end hardware that ran it slowly at the time too. Luckily, it didn't take all that long to sort out the problems with vista and it became a pretty good os. It's name is still fairly tarnished though.

XP had the same driver problems and I imagine it was put on low end hardware that ran it slowly at the time too.
    Yep, a friend of mine had a Duron laptop with XP Home and preinstalled Norton Internet Security on 128MB of RAM... it crawled along.

I also remember several problems with video drivers on XP along with IDE controller issues, at the time I adopted XP I had a Pentium III machine with 192MB of RAM and a VIA chipset, XP ran the hard disk and CD-ROM at UDMA mode 3 and mode 1 instead of 4 and 2. And the graphics drivers were terrible too, though it was an S3 Savage4 which was very 9x focussed anyway.

The biggest problem now is that XP has been out for so long that many people (including myself) just got attached to it. I'm also at the stage where I don't have the time to be reinstalling my OS and applications so just stick with what I have, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and I certainly don't consider XP to be broken.

That depends really. I find some of the improvements great in 7. I can't really compare it to vista as I haven't used vista much (I was planning on installing vista on my desktop but the 7 beta was released a few days before I got all the parts for it). If I were you I'd try the beta out. Dual boot it with vista if needs be. It'll cost you nothing except for some time. Then when 7 comes out and you know the price decide if the extra cost is worth the extra features.

As someone who isn't exactly a PC expert, would it be worth my while? I'm assuming the reason we're getting it for free is to BETA test it and there are obviously still some bugs in it they want to sort out before giving it a proper release. I don't want to end up getting in way over my head with it, though i admit, the new taskbar looks pretty cool.

Actually, now that i think of it whilst typing this, I'm not going to download it. I'll end up wrecking my computer by doing something stupid knowing my luck. I'll just stick with Vista 'til i need a new Desktop (hopefully not for a long time). It's tempting, but I'd rather be ignorant to 7 existing, rather than messing stuff up just hoping for the best.

I appreciate your reply though :)

edit:

Karsini wrote: »
    The biggest problem now is that XP has been out for so long that many people (including myself) just got attached to it. I'm also at the stage where I don't have the time to be reinstalling my OS and applications so just stick with what I have, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and I certainly don't consider XP to be broken.

I'm actually doing a FAS course at the moment, and we're using XP laptops on it. After having used vista for about a year prior to using XP again, I have to admit that i think XP (appearnce wise, at least) has aged terribly. It just looks so blocky and dated. Of course it takes a lot less to run it, and in that respect it's obviously much better than Vista.

The best thing about vista is the search function in my opinion though. At the top right of all the windows you open and on the start menu (though that's just my opinion obviously. I'm sure there's a lot more to operating systems than how they look, haha) :)

• Advertisement

As someone who isn't exactly a PC expert, would it be worth my while? I'm assuming the reason we're getting it for free is to BETA test it and there are obviously still some bugs in it they want to sort out before giving it a proper release. I don't want to end up getting in way over my head with it, though i admit, the new taskbar looks pretty cool.

Actually, now that i think of it whilst typing this, I'm not going to download it. I'll end up wrecking my computer by doing something stupid knowing my luck. I'll just stick with Vista 'til i need a new Desktop (hopefully not for a long time). It's tempting, but I'd rather be ignorant to 7 existing, rather than messing stuff up just hoping for the best.

I appreciate your reply though :)

edit:

I'm actually doing a FAS course at the moment, and we're using XP laptops on it. After having used vista for about a year prior to using XP again, I have to admit that i think XP (appearnce wise, at least) has aged terribly. It just looks so blocky and dated. Of course it takes a lot less to run it, and in that respect it's obviously much better than Vista.

The best thing about vista is the search function in my opinion though. At the top right of all the windows you open and on the start menu (though that's just my opinion obviously. I'm sure there's a lot more to operating systems than how they look, haha) :)

Yeah there are still some bugs, not many that I've noticed thankfully. One program (I think it was magicdisk) completely screwed up my windows install and I had to re-install again. So it can be a lot of hassle even if you only find one bug. It all depends on the bug.

You can get themes for xp that emulate the look of vista. I was using a few cool ones for years. Makes xp look quite nice and a hell of a lot less dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You can install Windows Search 4.0 on XP too.

Link:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I installed windows 7 RC about two weeks ago on a laptop that was preinstalled with Vista,So far it is proving to be very realiable,much more than the Vista OS was,but it is early days.(I have the Vista re-installation dvd and the utilities and drivers dvd though)
    Everything has been said on this thread,but somethings are worth repeating:

the Beta release is not the RC1 now available.
    RC1 has only been available for a short time and will stop working properly at end of march 2010(the RC stands for Release Candidate 1,for those who might not know)
    Microsofts targeted date for release of the product is oct 23 2009(in the US anyway)

It is only recommended that the RC be used on a 2nd spare computer.

Proably most important is a lot of the final version of w7 will work on touch screen monitors on computers not on the market yet so best to wait until ya need a new computer,rather than buy the OS alone.
    As I said early days but so far I like windows 7.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ynotdu wrote:
    Proably most important is a lot of the final version of w7 will work on touch screen monitors on computers not on the market yet so best to wait until ya need a new computer,rather than buy the OS alone.
    As I said early days but so far I like windows 7.
    Touch screen has been around for a very long time, tablet pc's, windows CE, the original IBM XT had light pen support before there were touch screens.

When news of Windows 7's XP Mode was revealed, there was much rejoicing among those who were concerned about legacy support. However, it appears that XP mode won't do everything many hoped it would, and will be unavailable to many Intel users. (Source: theinquirer.net)
    Windows 7's XP Mode (also known as "XPM") is a virtualization feature that will allow some users of Windows 7 Premium to run Windows XP apps in a virtual machine. However, it appears that Microsoft may be rushing a technology that is receiving spotty support from chipmakers Intel and AMD. (Source: cio.com)
    There is a very good chance that businesses buying a fleet of Windows 7 PCs will find out that the processors in those brand new machines do not support virtualization.
    XPM Could Be "Vista Capable" Fiasco, Part II

PCs equipped with CPUs that do not support Intel VT (Intel Virtualization Technology) or AMD-V (AMD Virtualization) won't be able to run Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. Most AMD chips reportedly support AMD-V, but Intel chips are more complicated and do not include virtualization support across the board. (Source: cio.com)

IT managers wanting to run XP Mode in Windows 7 will have to make sure computers have the correct chip installed. An explanation of the XP Mode CPU problem and a list of Intel chips supporting virtualization can be found from ZDNet. Many of Intel's newer chips do not support virtualization.
    There is a very good chance that Windows 7 XP Mode could end up being Microsoft's next "Vista Capable" fiasco. Users wishing to purchase versions of Windows 7 capable of running XP Mode will have to pay careful attention to the hardware in their PCs and may end up having to purchase new ones. (Source: itwire.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The pc's im running support virtualization and they were bought maybe 2-3 years ago, long before windows 7 was on the horizon. It's should be a non issue unless your IT dept didnt pay attention to their model spec beyond processor speed :pac:

I've been playing with virtual XP on 7 its not bad..oddly enough it refuses to accept that Ive installed chrome on my XP virtual machine...hmmmm..

Just on the licensing again..Im gonna install 7 on home PC tonight. Dual boot it with my exisiting XP installation. I'm kinda hoping that come next june the 7 installation will only nix itself, it's not gonna disable the boot menu or boot sector after a while....:eek:

• Advertisement

Intel's VT support is certainly patchy. The Q8200 doesn't support it but the older Q6600 does. There doesn't seem to be any real explanation for this, it's probably just marketing. My PC and laptop (E6420 and P8600 respectively) are VT enabled so it doesn't really affect me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Bambi wrote: »
    The pc's im running support virtualization and they were bought maybe 2-3 years ago, long before windows 7 was on the horizon. It's should be a non issue unless your IT dept didnt pay attention to their model spec beyond processor speed :pac: ...
    True, but how many IT departments would ever expect the clients to be running virtual machines any time soon when purchasing the hardware? :)

Paul Thurrot discussed this recently on the Windows Weekly podcast. It would appear that some of the more expensive processors won't support the technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Im gonna install 7 on home PC tonight. Dual boot it with my exisiting XP installation. I'm kinda hoping that come next june the 7 installation will only nix itself, it's not gonna disable the boot menu or boot sector after a while....:eek:

I'm planning on doing the same thing, but my HDD isnt partitioned. is there a program that'll do a partition with little fuss? i dont really want to format the whole HDD..

posting from 7 on my home pc now..that install is fast..maybe 20 minutes

It flipped my partitions though. My XP c:\ is now the d\: and vice versa but it if I boot into XP the partitions are as they were...odd

posting from 7 on my home pc now..that install is fast..maybe 20 minutes

It flipped my partitions though. My XP c:\ is now the d\: and vice versa but it if I boot into XP the partitions are as they were...odd

Yeah Vista and 7 always make their own system drive the C: drive regardless of where it is on the disk.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing the same thing, but my HDD isnt partitioned. is there a program that'll do a partition with little fuss? i dont really want to format the whole HDD..

this article mentions a tool for partitioning..never used it though

http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista

I used paragon partition manager before. Does the job. Vista has a built in partition manager though.

I used paragon partition manager before. Does the job. Vista has a built in partition manager though.
    If i download the "try now" version paragon, does the partition suddenly dissappear after i dunno, say 30 days. or does it leave watermarks of any kind making me pay for the program?

If i download the "try now" version paragon, does the partition suddenly dissappear after i dunno, say 30 days. or does it leave watermarks of any kind making me pay for the program?

Don't really know. It can't delete the partition after thirty days. It might limit the size of a partition or limit some of the functions.

Don't really know. It can't delete the partition after thirty days. It might limit the size of a partition or limit some of the functions.
    perfect thanks for the advice/info

perfect thanks for the advice/info
    Glad I can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Thinking of upgrading tonight...
    Are Vista drivers compatible with Windows 7 and also anyone knows if Virtual PC 2007 works on 7?

Cheers in advance

mick.fr wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading tonight...
    Are Vista drivers compatible with Windows 7 and also anyone knows if Virtual PC 2007 works on 7?

Cheers in advance

Vista drivers should work but my IDT HD Audio drivers don't so need to use the generic driver on my laptop.

Virtual PC 2007 doesn't work, it's hard blocked. It installs but won't start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Vista drivers should work but my IDT HD Audio drivers don't so need to use the generic driver on my laptop.

Oki cheers mate for the feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I wonder why.. :rolleyes: Good ol' Microsoft..

Amalgam wrote: »
    I wonder why.. :rolleyes: Good ol' Microsoft..
    Are you implying that Microsoft are deliberately blocking it? I can't see any reason why they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Are you implying that Microsoft are deliberately blocking it? I can't see any reason why they would.

Nested XP virtualization is being touted as the second coming for Windows 7, obviously the low end products will not ship with it.. $$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Cant you just mount the the VHD anyways? by installing the virtualisation software (which unfortunately I found needs to be active through the bios)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

That assumes your CPU supports virtualisation in the first place which many (most?) dont. My Windows 7 laptop was perfectly capable of running virtual machines under XP but now Windows 7 seems to think its just not possible. Its a pain in the arse to be honest and is the reason I've not migrated my main machine to Win7.

A side issue of Windows 7 requiring hardware virtualisation is that Windows 95 VMs no longer boot. Virtual PC 2007 gave the option to disable virtualisation which was required for 95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Im loving this TBH. I had the beta installed until a couple of days ago. For some reason my computer wont boot from disc in IDE mode, had to set it to ACHI mode in the bios. But no matter. I have noticed that installing Win7 RC/Beta is a slow process.

There isnt really much difference that I can see between the old beta and the new RC. They have done well and I am happy to freeload of this OS until 2010! Also, im raging I didn't request a decent queuing system for file transfer... Much like a FTP window with a "send to queue" context menu in explorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

My install took 20 mins tops..

As for the virtualisation, that is an issue.. I am looking at the XPM beta at the moment to see what its like and cant run it due to needing the virtualisation switch turned on in the BIOS which is locked by our corporate security policy. That laptop is an Intel based machine, so I might try it on my AMD workstation to see

• Registered Users Posts: 8 intars

i'm running windows 7 rc on my samsung nc20 and i must say everything is great so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The install time can vary depending on your DVD drive drivers and if Win7 recognises them. It installed in 15-20 minutes or so on my crappy old Dell but took nearly an hour on my new build.

Advertisement