Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It's finally here :)
    Seems to be the same build (7000) that has been torrented for a while now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Does the official windows 7 beta download still need a license key or is it free to use until a certain date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Does the official windows 7 beta download still need a license key or is it free to use until a certain date?
    30 day trial.

I dont think the beta keys are available yet are they?

kaimera wrote: »
    30 day trial.

I dont think the beta keys are available yet are they?
    You will get a key valid till Aug 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hellboy99 wrote: »
    You will get a key valid till Aug 2009
    When tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Betas available on MSDN
    tomorrow it says ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

jmccrohan wrote: »
    It could ruin peoples mp3 collection if they had being building it for years.

I havent noticed any problems , been using WMP12 with about 12kmp3's , I listen to music all the time , I have a backup of them all tho , Thanks for the news anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its on for MSDN subscribers :) Full availl tomorrow by all accounts..

Its a better build than the PDC one I had. Also quicker than Vista on the same metal which is interesting for a Beta build.

A bit more info:
    Windows 7 Beta 1 will be made available for a limited time during the day on January 9, 2009.
    • Visit the Windows 7 page on Microsoft's website for the link.
    • It will only be made available to the first 2.5 million people to download the code. Demand will be huge, so prepare to act quickly.
    • Microsoft has not announced a specific time on Friday for the release, but we can expect it will be later in the day so the west coast of North America isn't left out.
    • Windows 7 Beta 1 will be offered as an ISO image. It's around 2.5 or 3 gigabytes, so you will need a DVD burner if you want to install it.
    • You will be required to register before downloading so Microsoft can give you a product key.
    • It will be build 7000.
    • The beta will only support Windows Vista SP1 to Windows 7 upgrades. If you're not running Vista SP1 right now, upgrade before you try to install the Windows 7 beta.
    • There is also a clean install option for the Win7 beta.
    • There is no upgrade path from XP.
    • There's only one version of the beta, which Microsoft says "is roughly equivalent the Ultimate edition of Windows Vista."
    • The Windows 7 Beta will expire on August 1. You will probably be forced to go back to using Vista SP1 on August 1 (or maybe upgrade to Win7 Beta 2?).
    • English, German, Japanese, Arabic, and Hindi versions will be available Friday.
    • Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions will be available (except for Hindi, which only gets a 32-bit version).
    • If you're upgrading, remember to back up your PC. It's a beta, stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Installed this yesterday, think its great so far :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Is the beta going to be available to the public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

SickBoy wrote: »
    Is the beta going to be available to the public?

yes. see hellboys post.

yes. see hellboys post.

D'oh!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads as soon as anyone sees that the download link is live, can someone please let us all know here? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,531 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Microsoft has not announced a specific time on Friday for the release, but we can expect it will be later in the day so the west coast of North America isn't left out.

I guess this means late afternoon?

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads as soon as anyone sees that the download link is live, can someone please let us all know here? Cheers
    Will do :)
    Mr E wrote: »
    I guess this means late afternoon?
    Around 8pm our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can somebody give a quick briefing on what windows 7 actually is? Is it a whole new operating system and will replace everything I have in XP, does it need to be paid for or is it just a little software update that can be used with XP/Vista?

cormie wrote: »
    Can somebody give a quick briefing on what windows 7 actually is? Is it a whole new operating system and will replace everything I have in XP, does it need to be paid for or is it just a little software update that can be used with XP/Vista?

Complete new OS

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Totally new OS. You'll have to buy it. Probably not as bit a change as there was from xp to vista, but plenty of new stuff there. Seems to concentrate on usability, speed and stability moreso then flashy nonsense graphics etc like vista did, which is a good thing.

Gets good reviews so far but its very early days.

It's a new OS, have a read here to find out more about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies :)

Still looks a bit too flashy for me, them icons in the bottom left look far too big, are they not just the same as the quicklaunch icons on xp? I don't think things like preview panes are much use if you can more easily just read the taskbar tab.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thanks for the replies :)

Still looks a bit too flashy for me, them icons in the bottom left look far too big, are they not just the same as the quicklaunch icons on xp? I don't think things like preview panes are much use if you can more easily just read the taskbar tab.:o
    Watch a video of them in action tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Is there a legit download link available for this yet? Microsoft's windows 7 site seems to be getting hammered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Stephen wrote: »
    Is there a legit download link available for this yet? Microsoft's windows 7 site seems to be getting hammered.

It's 7am in the Microsoft offices. You'll have to wait a little longer I'm afraid :)

Seems that it duel boot is as easy as ever to set up :

http://www.sriraminhell.com/2009/01/windows-7-build-7000-installation-guide.html

Windows 7 site is not even responding now - probably so many people trying to get on. Dam I hope I don't miss this one

LOL:

windows_7.png

xkcd ftw !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

There will be free upgrades to 7 from Vista for PCs purchased from 1 July, 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Folks,

Anyone have a link yet? website is crawling.

• Advertisement

Still no link :(

The Windows Blog you cannot even get onto the site, says server is too busy.

Also, I cannot get LogMeIn to work on Windows 7 - anyone know how to fix it?

Advertisement