Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I installed from a USB hard disk.. tempted to just use one of the 4GB pen drives as the installer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Ginger wrote: »
    I installed from a USB hard disk.. tempted to just use one of the 4GB pen drives as the installer...

it's swift - very swift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If its USB2 I would be quicker than DVD drive anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Dardania wrote: »
    it's swift - very swift

I had it set up but it hung for ages before the format or upgrade screen. It was hung for 15 minutes when I eventually switched it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I had it set up but it hung for ages before the format or upgrade screen. It was hung for 15 minutes when I eventually switched it off.

Formatted as NTFS, set the partition Active, boosect /nt60 <driveletter>:, extracted the ISO to it?

Is there a BIOS update available or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

I used this guide here with my 16GB Sony Microvault. All I have to do is move the ISO contents to the Root Directory of it and it's bootable for Windows 7. I have 64-bit and 32-bit sitting aside for when needed, works a treat.

Guide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I work with 2 MS guys this week and they are both using Windows 7 on their laptops (Not so new IBM and Dell). Just asked them today.

One is on the Windows 7 Beta still with Office 14 Beta and the other is on Windows RC with Office 14 Beta too. They both have Virtual PC running with no problem. There is an error message when you start it, but it runs fine. One had 4 VMs running on the laptop (DC/SQL/SHAREPOINT/...)

They both installed the laptops of their own with VPC 2007 SP1, they told me there was nothing special to do. They do not use a special internal Windows 7 version, it does not exist. MS uses Select (Enterprise versions), same as customers.

I will give it a try then.

They both use x64 version too...

Yes I used that specific guide. It must be my sandisk or something.
    Pimps go through this type of **** from time to time.

Yes I used that specific guide. It must be my sandisk or something.
    Pimps go through this type of **** from time to time.
    What happens when you boot from the USB? Is USB Boot enabled in your BIOS?

Yep, with my BIOS you just have to go to the Boot Menu and choose USB.
    I've always had that setting enabled in the BIOS.
    There is a WD passport here that I will eventually try it with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

All we need now is pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Finally got to put this on my PC today. Haven't had much time on it but having done a fresh install of Vista yesterday and 7 today, 7 is way quicker without a doubt.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Finally got to put this on my PC today. Haven't had much time on it but having done a fresh install of Vista yesterday and 7 today, 7 is way quicker without a doubt.
    Yup, installed it myself last night on a new partition, and during the relatively short period I've used Win7, it's quite noticeably faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

spotted on digg,

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Windows&articleId=9134026&taxonomyId=125

if its that cheap they might get my money for this release (even though they gave me free vista last time round i wouldnt have bought it)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

weeder wrote: »
    spotted on digg,

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Windows&articleId=9134026&taxonomyId=125

if its that cheap they might get my money for this release (even though they gave me free vista last time round i wouldnt have bought it)
    When Vista first came out there were seriously low prices, for USA home users ONLY.
    Even between us and the UK there was masive price difference that they blamed on currency fluctuations

Anyone else been getting incorrect time synch? I seem to be just over a half an hour behind GMT. It wont synch to nist.gov either.

I have been getting this on and off since the beta. Usually it was fixed by selecting nist for the synch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My clock used to lose a few minutes per week on Vista, but its been fine on 7. Try pool.ntp.org for your time server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Anyhope of running it on a P4, 4gb ram? I don't trust Microsoft's hilarious 'minimum requirements'.

banquo wrote: »
    Anyhope of running it on a P4, 4gb ram? I don't trust Microsoft's hilarious 'minimum requirements'.
    Are you serious? Mine runs perfectly on a 1.6Ghz Atom with 2GB of RAM.

I installed in on a 2.0Ghz Celeron the other day with 768MB of RAM. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Wow. Both that I can run it, and that you said 'Celeron'. It's been a long time since I've seen that word.

/Downloads

Ran it on a 6~7 year old Dell 4550 with a 2.66 Northwood and 1 GB of crappy RAM without a hitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

quicky...has anyone gotten win7 to stream mkvs to a 360?

my understanding was that win7 was able to seamlessly stream any file.

currently using the media centre on the 360 to try play them.

360 can't play MKV's.

I use a program called xenonmkv to repackage the mkv into mp4.
    It doesn't re transcode the video just changes the container.
    Quick and painless.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xenonmkv/

Ooh, interesting. Thanks.

No bother. It converted a 2 gig 720p mkv into a mp4 in about 20 mins on my old dell. I must try it on my Win 7 Core i7!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

kaimera wrote: »
    quicky...has anyone gotten win7 to stream mkvs to a 360?

my understanding was that win7 was able to seamlessly stream any file.

currently using the media centre on the 360 to try play them.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob

^^Thats good for the ps3 also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hey, didnt mean to hijack the thread!

i thought i read win7 was gonna stream movies and sorta assumed the 360 would be able to deal with mkvs when coupled to a win7 machine.

i was wrong.

it is cleaner and quicker than vista tho the media centre integration.

Advertisement