Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I was able to stream to the xbox with Windows media player 11 on XP. Whats differnent about Win 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

5uspect wrote: »
    I was able to stream to the xbox with Windows media player 11 on XP. Whats differnent about Win 7?

Nothing. It's the MKV file format that causes issues for streaming to Xbox 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I find media centre, whether on Vista or 7 to be very slow through the Xbox, whereas using the WMP library on the Xbox (or PS3, since it uses a standard protocol) seems much faster.

I use a Freecom NAS with Twonky to stream to the xbox. Its a bit unstable but works pretty well otherwise.

I must see what new bells and whistles Windows 7 offers for the xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

No bother. It converted a 2 gig 720p mkv into a mp4 in about 20 mins on my old dell. I must try it on my Win 7 Core i7!
    Hey could you post back the results? Like how long it takes?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll convert the same video again tonight if I remember and that software works on 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i know it's OT guys, but wrt mkv converter; running on a c2d 2.2 laptop; I left a folder running with a ~25gb of mkvs to convert, started @ 0030 after pub and it finished @ ~0330 and only 1 file didnt convert but no big deal.

pretty quick and painless. splits files larger than 4gb to play on the 360. havent tested them yet on the 360 tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Stephen wrote: »
    I find media centre, whether on Vista or 7 to be very slow through the Xbox, whereas using the WMP library on the Xbox (or PS3, since it uses a standard protocol) seems much faster.
    after having loads of problems with media centre -> 360, i started using WMP library streaming, but gave up on that after it was too slow. I started using Tversity and it worked wonders. really quick and simple and its free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

6-11-09archos9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

cpu-dude wrote: »
    6-11-09archos9.jpg

I really want that...wow!

• Advertisement

Hey could you post back the results? Like how long it takes?

I've deleted the mkv file. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I've deleted the mkv file. :o
    good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

you're not the only dissapointed one...

Okay so, I converted (demuxed) the mp4 back to mkv using MKVtoolnix.

This took 56 seconds and my PC barely broke a sweat.
    The file is 720p and is 2,143,784 kB in size.

I then reconverted to mp4 using xenonMKV. This took 6 minutes, on two cores.

I then installed Avidemux and converted the mkv to mp4. It took 36 seconds to read in the file (rebuilding frames) and 26 seconds to demux into mp4 on 4 cores. (Didn't appear to use hyper threaded cores)

Then I took the mp4 and converted it to MKV using Avidemux and that took 28 seconds to load the file and 75 seconds to demux.

All in all Windows 7 runs all these apps pretty flawlessly and the applications aren't hardware intensive.

System specs:
    Core i7 920 D0
    6GB (3x2) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 RAM
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    EVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB
    Corsair TX750W 750 Watt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TheAuditor

hi everyone, question for you - all help appreciated. For about a week now all Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) have only opened in read-only compatibility mode on my laptop. How do I get it back to read-write mode please? Thanks in advance

TheAuditor wrote: »
    hi everyone, question for you - all help appreciated. For about a week now all Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) have only opened in read-only compatibility mode on my laptop. How do I get it back to read-write mode please? Thanks in advance

This usually happens when the copy of Office is not activated. In XP or 2003 go to the Help menu in any Office application and choose Activate Product. I don't know how to do it in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

Guys could you please help me install windows 7 on my pc.
    i got the disk off my friends dad that is in the microsoft development program.
    I took out my current Hard drive which had windows xp home edition service pack 2 and replaced it with an empty hard drive.
    I booted the disk and i get to the "upgrade and custom" install screen.
    I choose custom as there is no files on the hard drive.
    It goes "copying windows files...100%","expanding windows files..1%" then an error message pops up saying "Winodows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available,and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570."
    I click ok and another error message pops up saying "rollback.exe - Application error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click ok to close the application.
    My friend was downloading windows 7 yesterday, should i ask him if i could borrow his disk and try to install it??
    Thanks guys :D:D:(

Can you burn the image again.
    Are you installing the x64 version on an x86 machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

jak/mar wrote: »
    Guys could you please help me install windows 7 on my pc.
    i got the disk off my friends dad that is in the microsoft development program.
    I took out my current Hard drive which had windows xp home edition service pack 2 and replaced it with an empty hard drive.
    I booted the disk and i get to the "upgrade and custom" install screen.
    I choose custom as there is no files on the hard drive.
    It goes "copying windows files...100%","expanding windows files..1%" then an error message pops up saying "Winodows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available,and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570."
    I click ok and another error message pops up saying "rollback.exe - Application error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click ok to close the application.
    My friend was downloading windows 7 yesterday, should i ask him if i could borrow his disk and try to install it??
    Thanks guys :D:D:(
    Sounds like a bad rip or a scratched / damaged / dirty DVD. Check the disc for smudges and dirt, clean it and try it again. If the same error appears, get your friend to rip the ISO to DVD again.

Can you burn the image again.
    Are you installing the x64 version on an x86 machine?

Well i received the disk from a friend and I will be getting another disk off one of my other friend and i will try to install that.
    Its the 32 bit version and sorry but i dont know how to check to see if my pc is x86.
    I keep getting the error over and over again.
    cpu-dude wrote: »
    Sounds like a bad rip or a scratched / damaged / dirty DVD. Check the disc for smudges and dirt, clean it and try it again. If the same error appears, get your friend to rip the ISO to DVD again.

Well it is microsoft that burned the disk not him.
    I cleaned the disk and i am trying again. There are a few fairly deep scratches even though this is the first time it is taken out of it's packaging

Well cleaning the disk didnt work.
    I'm gonna rip it and burn it again on my mams pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I had this problem. I re-burned at slower speed and it worked fine.

quarryman wrote: »
    I had this problem. I re-burned at slower speed and it worked fine.

Ok thanks will do:D

What speed did you burn it at???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

can't remember, whatever the slowest was i think.

quarryman wrote: »
    can't remember, whatever the slowest was i think.

Well im burning it with image burn to a dvd+ at x2 speed
    Hopefully this will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Have a couple of minor gripes...

Soulseek sometimes disappears off screen and I can't seem to find a way to sort this out without either deleting reg keys or reinstalling

If you click the volume icon in the system tray, it won't appear if there's something in front of where the volume slider usually appears (messenger update, winamp next track notification etc), so you have to wait a few seconds before it pops up, if you get impatient and click it again it doesn't come up at all...

Apart from that I absolutely love it, improves on Vista in many ways

Well atm it is on 90% of extracting the files so hopefully it will work.:D

Cant trust the pre-burnt Windows 7 RC disks from Microsoft >.>:cool:

Ok its installed but in the setup it says "Windows 7 Ultimate"
    Is this the same for everyone?????

Yep.

oh ok

Thanks guys for all your help i got it working :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hi glad the last poster got his problem sorted.I had the exact same problem when I downloaded the RC(except mine stopped at 33% during installation.

My solution turned out to be burning the downloaded file to a DVD-R NOT a DVD-RW.(I had heard that DVD-RW were not the best for data,but thought it was salesmans talk)

so just for anyone new to this thread,the DVD-R solved it all for me(also if downloaded from the official Microsoft site, one copy using the same key will allow installation to three computers.(dont forget the RC will switch itself off every two hours from March 2010 ,before a total shutdown in June.

I overwrote Vista with W7 and have not had a single problem since.
    Vista convinced Me I had bad sectors or a dying hard drive.
    IMO W7 is going to be a big sucess it just does the job and does not bug the user all the time.I would wait until My old computers went Kapputt though before rushing into W7 as the longer you can wait the cheaper the computer preinstalled and fully compliant with ALL W7 features(such as touchscreen)will be.

Acer say they will have W7 available on launch in october,remains to be seen will it be *old* hardware with a new operating system at a ridiculous price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I want to replace Vista on my current everyday laptop as my main os with the Win7 RC Candidate, i will upgrade at a later point. I have downloaded the iso and have Virtual Clone Drive to mount it with. My laptop as it stands has 2 hard drives (even though Physicially it has only one). My data is split between both.

To upgrade, what should I do, just run the iso, the installer? But then wont it delete my data? on one hard drive at least. Uugh any help is greatly appreciated here.

Advertisement