Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You mean 2 partitions on one hard drive.
    Make sure the second partition is empty and install it on the second partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I want to replace Vista on my current everyday laptop as my main os with the Win7 RC Candidate, i will upgrade at a later point. I have downloaded the iso and have Virtual Clone Drive to mount it with. My laptop as it stands has 2 hard drives (even though Physicially it has only one). My data is split between both.

To upgrade, what should I do, just run the iso, the installer? But then wont it delete my data? on one hard drive at least. Uugh any help is greatly appreciated here.

The RC install process gives you the option to do an 'upgrade' that will put Win 7 on your Vista partition, but keep your data files intact . To be honest, ive never done it, it's a bit messy but the option is there.

Importantly, if you have data that you are afraid of losing, make sure it is backed up somewhere. That is vital no matter what, but doubly important if you're messing with partitions or installing an OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

The RC install process gives you the option to do an 'upgrade' that will put Win 7 on your Vista partition, but keep your data files intact . To be honest, ive never done it, it's a bit messy but the option is there.

Importantly, if you have data that you are afraid of losing, make sure it is backed up somewhere. That is vital no matter what, but doubly important if you're messing with partitions or installing an OS.

Well ive just finished putting all my data on one partition, so i have 60gb of a hard drive free (the other one)> So should I just run it, click upgrade, click on the empty harddrive and then just start using it?

Ok, installed windows 7, couldnt activate it with the beta key, so just went on ahead, it said the key was wrong, any way i can retrieve the key?

Can you just get a new one from the MS website?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Have just put RC 64 bit on my laptop and can't get over how smooth it is. Laptop was running Vista ultimate 32 and had become very unstable looks like Microsoft could have come up with a decent os in 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

5uspect wrote: »
    Can you just get a new one from the MS website?

You can indeed, just choose 32 or 64bit, get your key and download away

Link:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

A couple of noob questions about windows 7.

I have a HP vista pc and want to use windows 7 RC (vista is desperate!)

I know there are various options to installing W7 RC, create a partition in vista or using the upgrade facility, or a virtual drive etc. I like the idea of upgrading from vista keeping my files etc intact but I am worried about a couple of things:

1. Will I be able to roll back to Vista whenever I want to without too much hassle i.e a complete reinstall, losing my data etc?

2. Will my HP recovery partition for Vista and vista os files be deleted or obsolete because of the upgrade? Can I still recover my PC back to factory condition?

3. If I choose the partition option; can I have three partitions on the one drive (1 = C drive, 2= HP Recovery, 3= Windows 7 RC)

4. If you can have any number of partitions, can you boot solely from the windows RC partition?

5. Will booting from a partition effectively mean windows 7 will run slower than the upgrade from vista option? Which is the better option?

Thanks for any help with these questions and sorry again for the noobness

If you can hold out until October you can just buy retail windows 7.
    They do say on their website that you will have to rebuild your system with the retail version of 7. I'm unsure if this applies to rolling back to Vista.

You could always make an image of your current Vista installation before going down the Win 7 route.

so to answer your questions:
    1. Not sure, see above
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes, it'll go to a boot menu, if you don't pick anything in 10 seconds it'll boot 7
    5. Doubtful, a fresh install will have less trouble and is usually preferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Thanks for clearing that up for me 5uspect. Much appreciated!

• Advertisement

http://gizmodo.com/5302371/windows-7-pricing-good-news-mostly

Pricing has been released, some sort of discount for EU consumers.

This is the jist I got from it:

People wanting to upgrade to 7 form Vista/XP cannot because of the whole IE8 thing in the EU. An upgrade would still have IE in it so we have to use a fresh install (rubbish I know). This is rubbish!

Would there be anything stopping me buying a us copy and upgrading then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

If you pre-order, you can get the full Windows 7 Home Premium for €49 in France and Germany (£49 in UK). Any offer like this for Ireland? That's extremely cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There will be NO upgrade option for Europeans due to EU Competition Regulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

There will be NO upgrade option for Europeans due to EU Competition Regulations!

Does say on one site that the full version with be the equivalent price to the upgrade version... hopefully that means it won't be too much more than the US version once all the calculations are done

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/06/25/no-windows-7-upgrade-option-in-the-eu

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Im a bit of a noob but could you not upgrade vista with the RC and then buy a license in October to avoid doing a fresh install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Here's what we got from our Account Managers yesterday.

1.MS will start a campaign tomorrow (6/26) to offer rebate for a free upgrade to Windows 7 for any new PC purchase after 06/26/2009

2.Starting tonight (05/25/2009 9:pm PST time), you can pre-order Windows 7 at the Microsoft Store for half of the estimated retail prices. Be fist, save half as they say. Special pricing is available in the following markets: Canada, France, Germany, Japan, US, UK. Same offer @ Best Buy stores and amazon.com

Here are the retail prices of Windows 7

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade $119.99

Windows 7 Professional Upgrade $199.99

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade $219.99

Windows 7 Home Premium Full $199.99

Windows 7 Professional Full $299.99

Windows 7 Ultimate Full $319.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any word on european prices? I hope we get something like the half price preorder deal the Americans are getting.

Mmcd wrote: »
    Im a bit of a noob but could you not upgrade vista with the RC and then buy a license in October to avoid doing a fresh install?

Nah, you can't upgrade from the RC to the final release, well not officially anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

How freely do copies move across borders? Is there a problem in buying the french version for example? (presuming French version includes full support for English!)

Failing that I would hope to at least partake of the English offer, 50GBP is still cheap for full version IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

From a language pov or a price pov?

Ultimate lets you change languages afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I'm just worried of getting "we cannot ship this item to listed address" bull**** I get when trying to buy anything beyond a CD from Amazon, i.e. If this offer is country specific and excludes RoI entirely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Karsini wrote: »
    Nah, you can't upgrade from the RC to the final release, well not officially anyway.

Say it ain't so, I assumed I could just plug in a purchased activation code to my RC copy. Damit...that's weak if I have to go reinstalling the OS (and all my apps and what-not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its so..

RC1 code will be different from RTM.. I am currently running an RTM candidate build due to the company being part of EAP and its reinstall each time, tho the pave time is down to about 1 hour from shutdown to working state excluding VS2008 & SQL 2008 which add about 5 hours

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is virtual pc 2007 working with it yet? I think I saw mentioned earlier that it wasn't with RC1.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

stevenmu wrote: »
    Is virtual pc 2007 working with it yet? I think I saw mentioned earlier that it wasn't with RC1.

I'm sure it is although I have been mostly using vmware with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

wasn't there chat here a while back that virtual pc doens't work unless your CPU supports virtualisation?

Dardania wrote: »
    wasn't there chat here a while back that virtual pc doens't work unless your CPU supports virtualisation?

I think that only applied to MS's own XP virtualisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Dardania wrote: »
    Yeah the new version requires hardware virtualization and VPC2007 is blocked by win7 for compatibility issues. It really sucks arse :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Installing 7100RC on my Asus Eee PC 900 this evening. Will let ye all know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've an Eee 901 I'd like to try it on but the SSD is simply too small to make it worth even trying :/

Advertisement