Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I've been using Windows 7 RTM for about a week now. Sorry to burst everyones bubble but Windows 7 is Windows Vista. There may be a bit of a tweak here and there but I haven't spotted anything worth while that would warrant giving this a new major version number.

This is all about hype and consumer ignorance/perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

installed win7 7600 build on a acer aspire 1690wlmi 1.5ghz centrino, 2 gb ram, x700gpu.

had quite a few missing drivers compared to the vista sp2 install I did previous to it on the same laptop so went back to vista and its fine

20goto10 wrote: »
    I've been using Windows 7 RTM for about a week now. Sorry to burst everyones bubble but Windows 7 is Windows Vista. There may be a bit of a tweak here and there but I haven't spotted anything worth while that would warrant giving this a new major version number.

Which is what I think Microsoft were trying to claim using the Mojave experiment; that the Vista name is tarnished.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't think anyone doubts that this is anything more than a Vista overhaul. But it is quite the overhaul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

20goto10 wrote: »

I'd have to disagree, i find 7 to be far faster than my fresh Vista install. And find the overall performance to be better. I have to say i'm impressed so far, i've been using it for about 2 weeks at this stage. I've come across some minor things, but nothing that's a show stopper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

installed 7 RTM on my main pc tonight, im finding it very fast and responsive, everything was recognised out of the box, Just a bit confused though as i never entered a serial during installation but not once have i been bugged about activation or entering serial. :D Have microsoft turned over a new leaf or is somthing wrong with my install?

EDIT: I found it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I have been using windows 7 RC build 7100(downloaded from Microsoft)for about three months now and have no complaints at all about it.
    I installed it on a laptop i bought xmas of last year(it was a display model@ e400, Dell inspiron-1720)

I had to do a fresh install of Vista home premioum about every three weeks so i thought the hard drive was full of bad sectors or close to Total failure.

well now i know the hard drive was not at fault.It was VISTA:eek:

to those who like and defend vista all i can think of is it suits the hardware on your model,to me it is *Sh1te*
    a complete nightmare to use if it not suit your hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Did a clean install of Windows 7 Build 7260 Ultimate this evening.. yeah it's fast enough because it is designed to work on the future generations of Netbooks. It is basically Windows Vista-Lite.

Main problem I have is no drivers for my SBLive! so I've no audio. But oddly enough the intergrated Analog Devices AC97 audio is supported. The WinXP drivers for my Trendnet PCI Wireless card worked fine for Windows 7.

Haven't had any activation queries either yet, but there is a message in System Properties about 'automatic activation' in 3 days.

Loveless wrote: »
    Did a clean install of Windows 7 Build 7260 Ultimate this evening.. yeah it's fast enough because it is designed to work on the future generations of Netbooks. It is basically Windows Vista-Lite.

Main problem I have is no drivers for my SBLive! so I've no audio. But oddly enough the intergrated Analog Devices AC97 audio is supported. The WinXP drivers for my Trendnet PCI Wireless card worked fine for Windows 7.

Haven't had any activation queries either yet, but there is a message in System Properties about 'automatic activation' in 3 days.

Hi Loveless,
    AFAIK win7 is meant as a complete OS,not a Vista light:eek:

Netbooks in the main use Linux lite(when shipped)
    Google have announced they are going into the OS buisness called Chrome OS,initialy aimed at netbooks,but we all know Google never stop:)
    as you proably know they have their own browser now called Chrome,they seem to be attacking not just Internet explorer but also undermining the firefox browser(still part of the google pack but not ticked by default like it used to be,now Chrome is ticked by default)

Microsoft have hit back by saying words 2010 will have a free words lite to rival google docs,open office etc.also because Microsoft are in trouble with the EU they have proposed that in future the customer can ask what browser they want pre-installed on a new computor instead of IE being the browser we get by default on windows(makes sense as if we had no browser installed how would we download one:confused::)

to me Google seems to have lost its core values,without a doubt the best search engine there is.I dont know if they have become power hungry and lost the ethos and integrity they started with.or so many computor genious,s work for them they have to keep them busy:)
    May,be it is just that they bought youtube and it is lossmaking?
    whatever the reasons i am going off google big-time.
    at least Microsoft NEVER pretended to NOT being GREEDY!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

ynotdu wrote: »
    Google have ambition...

They havent lost their ethos theyre just expanding

Google all the way:D

• Advertisement

stainluss wrote: »
    Google have ambition...

They havent lost their ethos theyre just expanding

Google all the way:D

manuel "is a hampster,mr fawlty"

Fawlty"its a rat,you stupid %$£"&&* from Barcelona":)

google all the way. YAHOO YAHOO YAHOO!

or maybe ask jeeves,best not to though he most likely asleep!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I know it's a new OS.. I meant 'lite' as in it isn't as resource-hungry as the original Vista.

I miss the Classic Start Menu, and the proper Windows Explorer where you can actually see what yo're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I'd have to disagree, i find 7 to be far faster than my fresh Vista install. And find the overall performance to be better. I have to say i'm impressed so far, i've been using it for about 2 weeks at this stage. I've come across some minor things, but nothing that's a show stopper.
    Speed issues (or memory management to be more precise) could have and should have been fixed as part of a service pack. But as Karsini has pointed out, the Vista name is tainted. So fixing Vista would not fix microsofts problem. Releasing a "New" version of Windows obviously has. I've no problem with that, if you're getting a new PC get Win7 put on it. But as for paying to upgrade? I don't think so. Personally I think the memory management issues should be fixed on Vista. They can have Win7 and fix Vista at the same time, I don't see why Vista should be just left with issues (even if they only occur on lower spec machines).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Finally installed the RC on real hardware. Most hardware detected (more than the Vista RC). Just trouble with the integrated sound and fake RAID controller. Runs very well considering it's a P4 3.2 GHz (2 GB RAM) and on a PATA drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads, how do I switch 7 and Vista around on the boot options. I want Vista as default, not 7 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm thinking of upgrading to the version of Vista that has the further upgrade to 7 when it comes out, it's around £60 too so not to bad price wise.

My computer just up and died on me two sticks of ram are fudged but thinking back on it I think they may have always been bad, I had loads of trouble installing XP and it randomly picked up weird errors over the years. Strangely I never had any problems installing the vista and 7 demos, didn't use 7 though as I couldn't get my wireless card to work.

I was looking at replacing the bad ram (I'm currently working off 2gb) and noticed 4gb is just €10 more expensive than 2, I was thinking of getting the 4gb so I'd have 6gb total. Obviously I'd only get 3.5gb until win7 64bit showed up but would this be a good move? Would the 64bit version be compatible with everything software wise?

I use my computer for gaming, allot of photoshop, web design and a bit of premier stuff.

to me Google seems to have lost its core values,without a doubt the best search engine there is.I dont know if they have become power hungry and lost the ethos and integrity they started with.or so many computor genious,s work for them they have to keep them busy:)
    Google haven't lost there values at all, they're supplying next generation technology for free. As far as I'm concerned everything they touch turns into gold, Chrome is excellent, docs is fairly decent I using it more and more. I think they do have an agenda behind it all and are planning for a brave new world. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Lads, how do I switch 7 and Vista around on the boot options. I want Vista as default, not 7

You can use EasyBCD to change around the boot order. Install and run it in Windows 7 and you should be do it.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

It's freeware and you can backup the boot config before you go changing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Lads, how do I switch 7 and Vista around on the boot options. I want Vista as default, not 7 :)

Right click on 'My computer' and select properties.
    Then on the left menu click 'Advanced options'.
    Click 'Startup & Recovery'.
    Select Vista as your default OS from the drop down box and apply.

Try it when booted in Vista first but you may have to do it in Win7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Right click on 'My computer' and select properties.
    Then on the left menu click 'Advanced options'.
    Click 'Startup & Recovery'.
    Select Vista as your default OS from the drop down box and apply.

Try it when booted in Vista first but you may have to do it in Win7.

Legend. Thanks man. And Mr Sparkle for the alternate suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm thinking of upgrading to the version of Vista that has the further upgrade to 7 when it comes out, it's around £60 too so not to bad price wise.

My computer just up and died on me two sticks of ram are fudged but thinking back on it I think they may have always been bad, I had loads of trouble installing XP and it randomly picked up weird errors over the years. Strangely I never had any problems installing the vista and 7 demos, didn't use 7 though as I couldn't get my wireless card to work.

TBH I would just use the RC 64bit version of 7. It will be valid until march 2010, completely free. If your wireless card doesn't work or have native drivers for 7 RC, it's unlikely there will be for the RTM/7600 build at retail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Can anyone confirm, or not, RTM build is 7600?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

mick.fr wrote: »

Cheers

7600.16385 to be exact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

mick.fr wrote: »

Cheers

aye its build 7600.16385 to be exact

:) beat me to it Sickboy

Alright cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I'm always hopping between operating systems and use VMware quite a bit. At the moment I'm still on XP Pro and installed 7 in a vm on that, along with Linux. Now I'm thinking of cleaning my machine and installing my microsoft downloaded recent RC copy of 7 and then installing my copy of vmware workstation 6.5 on that. Vmware was a bit of a disaster on vista for me, so went back to xp. I use to dual boot OS' but prefer vm's and just want to know if anyone has run vmware sucessfully in 7 yet.

[edit]The feedback from Windows 7 (on this thread especially) has been pretty positive. On that note, has anyone experienced many problems with existing desktop apps/games/etc not working on 7 when coming from earlier Windows OS'. Also how much "talking home" does the Microsoft downloaded RC version of Win7 actually do?, I usually have my network fairly locked down and I don't want some muppet security holes for the sake of providing usage stats, etc. I have my fingers crossed that it will be a good experience. I may actually fork out the cash for a copy of Ultimate if all goes well. Cheers[/edit]

ve wrote: »
    I'm always hopping between operating systems and use VMware quite a bit. At the moment I'm still on XP Pro and installed 7 in a vm on that, along with Linux. Now I'm thinking of cleaning my machine and installing my microsoft downloaded recent RC copy of 7 and then installing my copy of vmware workstation 6.5 on that. Vmware was a bit of a disaster on vista for me, so went back to xp. I use to dual boot OS' but prefer vm's and just want to know if anyone has run vmware sucessfully in 7 yet.

[edit]The feedback from Windows 7 (on this thread especially) has been pretty positive. On that note, has anyone experienced many problems with existing desktop apps/games/etc not working on 7 when coming from earlier Windows OS'. Also how much "talking home" does the Microsoft downloaded RC version of Win7 actually do?, I usually have my network fairly locked down and I don't want some muppet security holes for the sake of providing usage stats, etc. I have my fingers crossed that it will be a good experience. I may actually fork out the cash for a copy of Ultimate if all goes well. Cheers[/edit]

I got the RC1 on my laptop, since it came out. It gave me 0 trouble at all. It is very stable. I had no issue with applications I use to use regularly, WinRAR, Notedpad++, Firefox etc...
    I believe the footprint is pretty much Vista anyway, so I believe anything that works on Vista will work on 7.

So yes the experience is very positive overall. Many people seem to share this feeling too.

I am gonna install the RTM this week-end on my laptop and desktop.

I can't wait to play with Windows 2008 R2 too, this is the same code as Windows 7.
    The new stuffs in Windows 2008 are very interresting too:
    .NET in Core edition, free virtualisation etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Just as a follow up to my previous post (above), I had to come back and say that Windows 7 is by far the best version of Windows I have ever used (and I've used every single one of them intensively over the years). I have the latest RC installed and towards the end of the installation I was well impressed that it had already installed decent drivers for my wifi card (out of the box) and was presenting me with the results of an active scan.

Anyhoo, the only thing that I have yet to get decent drivers for is my Realtek AC'97 audio. I saw that there were Windows Vista/7 drivers for it, and they work, but my 5.1 audio outputs do not work, just stereo. I am "virtualizing" 5.1 for now.

As for virtualization, VMWare 6.5 worked out of the box, and I installed Ubuntu 9.04 with absolutely no fuss. Actually I been playing around with VMs, so I also installed Sun's VirtualBox to test out the OpenGL direct hardware capabilities so I could get Compiz and the eye candy working in my Ubuntu VM guest. It worked!!

Anyway Windows 7 seems really stable, and nice to work with. My setup is modest enough. AMD64x2 @ 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 8800 GTS 512MB, 7200RPM SATAs, etc.

I will post back later with any more pro's and con's as I find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Really?

All 27 odd of them (apart from Embedded and CE/Mobile versions)?

No-one disagrees that Win7 is fine and perfect compared with VIsta or ME and is an absolutely stable release.

But "Best version"? By which criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I would say its one of more stable releases. It surpasses Windows 2000 and XP iin my opinion based on some basic observations

I am using build 7201 x64 (company with the EAP)

Installation experience, was extremely smooth quick and generally picked up everything on my machine out of the box

UX feels better, better search in the start menu integrated with email and other document searching

Responsiveness.

Adjustable levels of UAC which is handy for those of us, who like the UAC feature but dont want it to be so freaking chatty

Projecter and external monitor support is miles and miles better. Remembers my settings between my home and work setups and attaching to external projecters is childs play.

Virtualisation builtin and XPM is handy when you find something doesnt work on 7.

Boot to VHD is probably my favourite feature as a developer allowing me to boot my Sharepoint image and work from there.

Programs crashing dont tend to crash the OS like previous versions

Fit and polish seems to be worked out.. Mspaint and calc for example dont look like their Win95 conterparts.

Few cons

Footprint is bigger than XP or 2000 easily.
    Tends to be a wee bit heavier on the battery of my laptop but that could also be the battery's age as well.
    For some users the lack of grey will merit a massive amount of distrust.

Generally from my standpoint, it seems that MS have got it right this time after the vista upset. Suppose that means we get 1 more good desktop OS before a cockup if we take the 95,98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista routine as norm.

• Advertisement

but i am not sure about this one,seems a bit like a sales pitch,what do others think? 265x280_newsletter_subscribe_rover.gif

With the release of Windows 7 just a few months away, security experts have begun touting the widespread positive impact Windows 7 will have on PC protection and the online community.
    Despite the occasional outbreak of critical security patches, Microsoft has been able to steadily improve its security image since launching the Trusted Computing initiative more than five years ago. (Source: eweek.com)
    Win7 to Help Strengthen Security

Purewire Principal Researcher Paul Royal touted three specific Windows 7 modifications that he believes will help thwart application vulnerabilities, rootkits and other cutting-edge malware attacks.
    Royal notes that application vulnerabilities will be harder to turn into working exploits. Windows memory protections such as DEP (Data Execution Protection) and ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) that have been around for years are now being used by ubiquitous applications including as Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3, making it much more difficult to exploit potential vulnerabilities.
    It is suggested that hackers will have to shift technical attacks (those targeting the web browser or its plug-ins) to those that are social in nature (such as rogue anti-virus programs).

Hardware-assisted rootkits will also be difficult to deploy. The implementation of Windows XP Mode (XPM) uses hardware virtualization extensions and will make rootkit installation considerably more complex. A rootkit would need to overcome significant technical hurdles to avoid crashing the operating system or alerting the user. (Source: purewire.com)
    Win7 Expected to Benefit End Users and Security Pros

Malware will have to evade next-generation analysis of the behavior of malicious software through hardware-assisted virtualization extensions in the implementation of XPM.
    It's important to remember that XPM will only be available on certain versions of Windows 7, but according to Royal, Windows 7 looks to be an all-around win for security and its adoption is expected to benefit end users and security professionals. (Source; purewire.com)
    Visit Bill's Links and More for more great tips, just like this one!
    Mods tried twice to clean up this post without luck,it was deleting googles ads etc for some of the posts?

Advertisement