Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Santiago Garcia

5uspect wrote: »
    Should be fine. Win7 appears to scale really well.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136192/Windows_7_How_low_can_you_go_
    I've run it on an old Dell with a 2.66 GhZ P4, 1GB RAM and 256MB 7600GT.

You may need to turn aero off on older GPUs but the 7400 in that should be fine.

Cheers mate. Not enough posts to thank you, from what I can gather but I have made a not to do so when I have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Quick question:
    My Dad got me a Dell laptop last week with Vista Home Premium. I've heard that some Dell computers get a free Windows 7 upgrade, but my Dad doens't know anything about this. Can somebody please tell me if I am? I can't find anything about it on the Dell website...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes. Because it has windows vista home premium it will be eligible for a free upgrade to windows 7 when it gets released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Yes. Because it has windows vista home premium it will be eligible for a free upgrade to windows 7 when it gets released.

Thank you.
    And how do I get the upgrade? Am I going to be informed about it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jay P wrote: »
    Thank you.
    And how do I get the upgrade? Am I going to be informed about it?

You have to register here (http://www.dell.com/windows7). I don't think they inform you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Has anyone tried windows 7 on a multitouch laptop / desktop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Has anyone tried windows 7 on a multitouch laptop / desktop?

Hi Air Aussie,i know this does not answer your question,i do know that ACER are all ready to launch not just windows 7 on release date,but also the laptops/desktops they have designed for all the multitouch features of W7.just thought i would say that to anybody contemplating buying a computor before the late oct release.

some pages back a poster did mention touchscreen technology has been around for some time,but lots of computer manufactors are holding back their new technology until at least release date so as not to interfere with their present retail sales.

If W7 is an overnight sucess(as i personally think it will be)
    i believe there will be great bargains to be had on high spec computers not involving touchscreen(which is a bit gimmicky anyway)

ynotdu wrote: »
    If W7 is an overnight sucess(as i personally think it will be)
    i believe there will be great bargains to be had on high spec computers not involving touchscreen(which is a bit gimmicky anyway)

You could be right but I doubt it. From what I have seen a lot of people couldn't give a shíte about touch screens. After 7 gets released I'd say touchscreen laptops will still make up a relatively small segment of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Will Win7 kcik up a stink if I replace the CPU? I've heard that replacing the motherboard on Vista can make it think it's in a new PC and won't let you run it but is it the same for CPUs?

ScumLord wrote: »
    Will Win7 kcik up a stink if I replace the CPU? I've heard that replacing the motherboard on Vista can make it think it's in a new PC and won't let you run it but is it the same for CPUs?

CPU should be fine, motherboard would probably be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Hi All,

Perhaps this hasd already been answered.

But can I upgrade from XP Pro to W7.

I am hoping to install on my Acer Travelmate 4152LCi

1.73GHz
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    60HDD
    2GB Ram.

Don't wish to loose all my data nor to reinstall all the data.

Regards
    Silverski

PS< I really need to do a backup........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

silverski wrote: »
    Hi All,

Perhaps this hasd already been answered.

But can I upgrade from XP Pro to W7.

I am hoping to install on my Acer Travelmate 4152LCi

1.73GHz
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    60HDD
    2GB Ram.

Don't wish to loose all my data nor to reinstall all the data.

Regards
    Silverski

PS< I really need to do a backup........

Format and install I'm afraid. No upgrade option.
    It's always the best option anyway.

You could be right but I doubt it. From what I have seen a lot of people couldn't give a shíte about touch screens. After 7 gets released I'd say touchscreen laptops will still make up a relatively small segment of the market.

Lol Almighty,i think we are saying the same thing!!!!!!!!

exactly my point that touch screen technology("is a bit gimmicky")

I meant the market could be flooded with high spec computers of the non touch screen variety at really low prices if W7 OS and hardware compliant computers take off!

W7 RC, build 7100 has been brilliant since i installed it compared to the *nightmare*that was Vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

this 25 page bs thread is doing my head in.

anywahy.

anyone else find WMP gone totally shyte now?

if i pause something and leave it alone for a while (10 mins) when i come back to it, wmp locks up. and crashes.

Overheal wrote: »

anywahy.

if i pause something and leave it alone for a while (10 mins) when i come back to it, wmp locks up. and crashes.

Oh really so who tied you down and forced you to read a 25 page thread:confused:

in answer to your question,no WMP is working fine for me,RC-build 7100.

i did have problems with audio on some sites(that seems to have been down to the sites making software changes to adjust in time for W7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Windows 7 Pro is available (free) on the IEEE Academic Alliance. I'm pretty sure it's the full release version. Not possible to upgrade from Vista Home Premium or XP Pro.

(If you are a student in a registered college you can get it free if you join IEEE and the computer society (about 50 euro and you get a lot of software including VS pro, Office Enterprise, Server 2008, Expression Studio 3 and lots more).)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

pwd wrote: »
    Office Enterprise
    Are you 100% sure that Office Enterprise is included?

It isn't included in my MSDNAA account.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Windows 7 Launch Party in your own Home!

Be part of the launch, have a Windows 7 Party in your house :D

http://uk.houseparty.com/splash/windows7uk

Jonathan wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure that Office Enterprise is included?

It isn't included in my MSDNAA account.
    you're right it's not included. Access, Project and Visio are included but not Word, Excel or Powerpoint

Overheal wrote: »

anywahy.

It comes out of full screen far too easily for my liking. Any little thing happens in the background and it comes out of full screen.

• Advertisement

ok I guess this is why it tells me I can't upgrade from vista:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167224/eu_windows_users_must_upgrade_with_clean_install.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a41:g26:r45:c0.006136:b26088770:z0

either that or it won't let you upgrade from home premium version to pro version.

edit: must be the latter; ie is installed with the os

I'm looking at it on Amazon and the pricing doesn't make sense. The upgrade is half the price of the full version but the upgrade version is the same as a full version. Whats the point of the full version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You need a previouis version of windows installed to do the upgrade.. so you cant do a clean install really unless you install your old os and then upgrade.. thats the point of the full version

Of course there are some noted hacks such as the double install of vista for example and the point the OS checker to the DVD drive

This version of Windows 7 ships as a full edition, suitable for both new Windows users and Windows Vista users looking to upgrade. Although a ‘clean install’ is not essential for existing Windows Vista users, this is recommended by Microsoft UK.

Also I take it I can't upgrade directly from XP? Or I'm not supposed to be able?

Upgrade Paths are

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579%28WS.10%29.aspx

But!!!!

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/StepByStepHowToUpgradeFromWindowsXPToWindows7.aspx

You can kinda hack it

The reason you are getting this full price SKU at upgrade is that its the Win7E (European Edition) ..
    The company is attempting to fall in line with the antimonopoly regulations imposed by the European Antitrust Commission, which found the Windows-Internet Explorer bundle to monopoly abuse.

As a response, Microsoft will offer the E SKUs of Windows 7 in EU markets, namely Windows 7 without Internet Explorer 8. What the software giant won't be offering is upgrade SKUs of Windows 7 E. However, Brad Brooks, Corporate VP for Windows Consumer Marketing, pointed out that the full versions of Windows 7 E would be offered at upgrade prices.

“In Europe we're going to basically offer Windows 7E full version at upgrade prices. And so what's this mean for European customers? It means they get Windows 7 on time with the rest of the world at the best possible price,” Brooks explained.

Microsoft is aiming to release Windows 7 E in Europe on October 22, 2009, concomitantly with the global launch of the operating system. Following general availability, EU customers will be able to purchase Windows 7 E Home Premium for €119.99, Windows 7 E Professional will feature a price tag of €285.00 and Windows 7 Ultimate will cost €299. These offers will only last until December 31, 2009, the Redmond-based company noted. Still, because they are full versions of Windows 7 minus Internet Explorer 8, customers in markets in the EU won't be able to upgrade their existing Windows Vista installations. Instead, users will be forced to clean install Windows 7 E.

“We wanted to make sure that all of our customers got Windows 7 at the same time. And because of what needed to occur around testing of Windows 7E, it became very clear that we would not be able to offer a retail upgrade version of that piece of software on October 22nd,” Brooks added. “So, we had a choice to make. Either we delayed the launch of Windows 7 in Europe or that we brought it all together and did something different. So, what we decided to do is do something different.”

Here is a nice graphic for Win 7 Upgrade Paths

http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/files/2009/08/windows-upgrade-chart.png

Hmmm its nearly a good idea for me to buy Win 7 in Ireland vs Norway. Norway is not in the EU

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm looking at it on Amazon and the pricing doesn't make sense. The upgrade is half the price of the full version but the upgrade version is the same as a full version. Whats the point of the full version?
    If you upgrade an OEM version of windows (ie. any preinstalled version) then the upgrade is locked to that motherboard and lives /dies with it.

The only exception to this if is the motherboard is replaced by the original manufacturer under warranty.

The full version is yours for life and you can move it between machines.

I'm using an open license (I think that's what they call it, one disk multiple licenses) version of XP but from the looks of things I'm going to be restricted to the full version as XP doesn't count.

So I can buy the upgrade version and do a clean install but whats the point of them selling the full version at twice the price when I can just buy the at the upgrade price? It seems like amazon are just looking to catch people out.

Can you post a link to the results so I can get teh actual SKU

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So I can buy the upgrade version and do a clean install but whats the point of them selling the full version at twice the price when I can just buy the at the upgrade price? It seems like amazon are just looking to catch people out.
    re-read what I posted before you

and it's not microsoft not amazon who set the price for the upgrade at half the full price

Advertisement