Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't have an oem version of XP, which isn't on my pc any more anyway but I have access to the disk I also have a home made PC.

Win7 on amazon.co.uk

That says the upgrade is the full version. Are you saying the upgrade version shown there is the OEM version and will be locked to the motherboard I install on? I'm still very lost here. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

1000 replies. :)

And I'm just posting to say I won't be upgrading until sometime next year, when the RC finally runs out, and any little niggles that appear have been ironed out.... like that SMB2.0 flaw.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't have an oem version of XP, which isn't on my pc any more anyway but I have access to the disk I also have a home made PC.

Win7 on amazon.co.uk

That says the upgrade is the full version. Are you saying the upgrade version shown there is the OEM version and will be locked to the motherboard I install on? I'm still very lost here. :o

As I understand it, the upgrade media is not available in europe. So any concerns about how the upgrade process will restrict your future actions are irrelevant.

However, if it were possible to get upgrade media in the eu for win7, it would carry over any restrictions that applied to the licence of the in-place OS that you apply the upgrade to, such as hardware locks or periodic activation via contact to a kms server.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr.S wrote: »
    How come none of the online stores are selling Windows 7 OEM disks?

I want to install it on my laptop, so i only need a single license and as i remember Vista OEM was something like €60/70.
    OEM is not for end users

it's only for system assemblers so they can pre-install it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yeah i know that,

But Komplett/Amazon sell OEM copies of Windows Vista. Why not the same for 7?

Probably because it hasn't been launched yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Windows 7 can connect and use 2 internet connections at the same time as i found out tonight in waterfords RSC :D

My 3 Usb stick was going between 4kb and 10kb upload, logged onto WUFCs wifi and windows used both together.

handy that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Windows 7 can connect and use 2 internet connections at the same time as i found out tonight in waterfords RSC :D

My 3 Usb stick was going between 4kb and 10kb upload, logged onto WUFCs wifi and windows used both together.

handy that.
    I assume it just used the faster connection rather than load balance them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jonathan wrote: »
    I assume it just used the faster connection rather than load balance them?

Connected via both "multiple networks" 3g was still varying but my net monitor said i had a 28kb upload.

3g was counting upload via it but the commentary improved dramatically when we used both.

Will test it out again during the week but 99% sure it used both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just installed it and have to say I am really liking it, still have my XP on dualboot but hopefully wont be going back to it. That said XP has been fantastic the last few years never hadany problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Just installed it and have to say I am really liking it, still have my XP on dualboot but hopefully wont be going back to it. That said XP has been fantastic the last few years never hadany problems with it.

Did the same months ago Ronan and found I was using Windows 7 alot more than XP. I never thought I'd abandon XP even after installing it on my new laptop over Vista but I have. I uninstalled XP fully and never looked back. Windows 7 is the new XP now ;)

• Advertisement

Just a quick question. I was able to see the rest of my laptops under "Network" (any shared folders etc.) but after a fresh install I can't anymore. Doesn't anyone know how I can see these again? Appreciate any help thanks

AntiRip wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I was able to see the rest of my laptops under "Network" (any shared folders etc.) but after a fresh install I can't anymore. Doesn't anyone know how I can see these again? Appreciate any help thanks
    Do you have network discovery enabled?

Jonathan wrote: »
    Do you have network discovery enabled?

I have yeah. I know it should pick up the other laptop (It has XP on it with folders shared on that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Industry experts are praising a new quad-core processor from Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), priced at just $99. The new chip could help reverse AMD's fortunes of late by giving consumers a cheaper alternative when looking to build a Windows 7-capable machine.

AMD is targeting do-it-yourself "system builders" with the new chip, dubbed the Athlon II X4 quad-core processor. Priced at less than a hundred bucks, the chip, AMD says, blends cost efficiency with performance. (Source: informationweek.com)
    Microsoft Impressed

Microsoft is also understandably impressed with AMD's attempt to bring Windows 7-capable chips to the masses. "The introduction of the new AMD mainstream desktop platform coupled with Windows 7, allows... a faster, higher performing experience at an attractive price point," said Microsoft's General Manager of Windows Product Management Mike Ybarra. (Source: cnet.com)
    Given the low price point of the Athlon II X4, one would expect most industry experts to dismiss the chip. However, tech blog Hot Hardware had only good things to say about it. "It's often hard to get excited about low-end and mainstream hardware," remarked Michael Lin of Hot Hardware. "However, AMD's new quad-core Athlon II X4 processors are something we can definitely get excited about." (Source: http://hothardware.com)
    AMD Sets Sights on Intel

Those reviewing the Athlon II X4's performance find that it's just about level with competitor Intel's Core 2 Quad Q8200 -- a chip that usually retails for $150, or 50 per cent higher than the Athlon.
    Still, AMD boasts that there's more to like about the Athlon II X4 than just its price and performance. The company also says it's more energy efficient than other chips on the market, and that its 45-nanometer manufacturing process makes it use less power than a 75-watt light bulb

Has anyone else noticed weird behaviour in windows 7?

One night I was watching a film and it went off wide screen, the start menu popped up and it started searching for random letters like "assdsaa" opened up the search window same kind of stuff. I checked the keyboard but it seemed fine no keys stuck and I wasn't using it at the time. WMP does often come out of full screen for no apparent reason.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

One night I was watching a film and it went off wide screen, the start menu popped up and it started searching for random letters like "assdsaa" opened up the search window same kind of stuff. I checked the keyboard but it seemed fine no keys stuck and I wasn't using it at the time. WMP does often come out of full screen for no apparent reason.

That's weird. I've never noticed any ghost key presses.
    Too much WASD gaming?:)

5uspect wrote: »
    That's weird. I've never noticed any ghost key presses.
    Too much WASD gaming?:)
    Haven't played a game in about a month I'd say. It never happens while I'm on boards either so it's not a common problem, it only seems to happen at night while I'm watching stuff in WMP. Don't have wireless keyboard either. :confused:

Strange Scumlord!Overheal mentioned the same problem 3 pages back(post 983)

I always had this problem with XP.

with Vista i could lock WMP on full screen.

with W7 RC1(build 7100)on a very ordinary Laptop i do not even have to lock it to fullscreen,it just stays fullscreen:confused:

C,mon tech guys tell us what,s happening?

They are happy now because they have the RTM version!

too snobby to post here now.............:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/studentoffer/default.aspx
    We are offering students the opportunity to buy Windows 7 for an amazing discounted price, £30 for either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Haven't played a game in about a month I'd say. It never happens while I'm on boards either so it's not a common problem, it only seems to happen at night while I'm watching stuff in WMP. Don't have wireless keyboard either. :confused:

I think that happened me once..just the once though.

• Advertisement

I think that happened me once..just the once though.
    Maybe Win7 can communicate with the dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Maybe Win7 can communicate with the dead.

moved to conspiracy theories:pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

miralize wrote: »
    And this is for Irish Student too?
    It's doesn't say. I'm about 80/20 for it not being available for Irish students, though I definately wouldn't rule out that it will be in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

It's doesn't say. I'm about 80/20 for it not being available for Irish students, though I definately wouldn't rule out that it will be in the future.

I really hope it will be available here. I have the RC on my laptop and it is great but it expires in March... I dont want to have to resort to either paying a bomb for it or getting it through othaaar means.

The £70 price tag I've seen is fairly reasonable considering all the features and how well it works (as a a gateway to the other side:eek:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Yeah this actually seems to me to be something which i know i don't need,(as i have a vista hm prm 64bit) but would be willing to pay money for!

And that is a big deal for me!

That thing happened to me again! This time it muted the volume then went messing with search.

It seems to be confined to the windows, a and s keys. Maybe it's a faulty keyboard but I don't see why it doesn't affect what I'm typing in forums.

When I went trying to fix the speaker problem I noticed it was typing "aassss" into the little textbox for naming the speakers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is it only with Windows media player running? I don't use it myself, perhaps if there is a problem that is why many haven't noticed it.

• Advertisement

No I was watching the news on a website (flashplayer). It can't be something coming in on the wireless network either because it happened today while it wasn't connected.

But it happens allot while watching divx.

Advertisement