Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

If it's always a and s it's too much of a conicidence for it not to be a dodgy keyboard, considering they are beside each other on the UK & US Keyboards. The Windows key which you also mentioned is too close for comfort...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

ScumLord wrote: »
    That thing happened to me again! This time it muted the volume then went messing with search.

It seems to be confined to the windows, a and s keys. Maybe it's a faulty keyboard but I don't see why it doesn't affect what I'm typing in forums.

When I went trying to fix the speaker problem I noticed it was typing "aassss" into the little textbox for naming the speakers.

I've had this too.

Spacebar jams on.

Only in windows. Never in Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

File sharing is confusing me on W7.
    On Mint Gloria I was able to do it without any prior knowledge of how using samba and my shares show up on my wireless Blu ray player, on Windows 7 it's bloody annoying!

Share with options:
    Nobody (no), Me (yes, naturally), Everyone (uhh, maybe?), Guest (oh come on now, who are all these bloody people?), Homegroup (WHAT?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Looks like faulty keyboard all right, bit annoying it's a good "gaming" keyboard, it lights up and everything. :(

The mute key was also faulty, that really ruined it in the end having the mute button go on every 2 minutes just made it unbearable. The mute button was in the top right of board so the opposite corner from the other faulty keys, not that I'm convinced it's all the boards fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Lads anyone able to help me out...

Installed win 7 and then when i go to install my ati drivers i get an error MSI service failure....anyone get this? It wont install the drivers.

Tried to install steam and it pops back an error there too?

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Do you run the installer as admin? And did you check in the installer logs in the temp directory as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Ok, think i found what the problem is/was.

When i was installing windows 7 an error message popped up at the end but went away, didnt think much of it and windows started alright bar the fact taht i could not install programs.

So i tried re-installing but got a bsod when it loaded the windows files.

I have 4gb Ram so, 4 1GB sticks. Took out 2 gb and tried again and it installed perfect. So i ran memtest86 for 5 hours and it passed, put teh same two sticks into the other slots and it passed.

Then took them out and replaced with the other 2 sticks of ram and tehy passed in both slots also.

Then put all 4 back into the board and memtest crashed before teh test even started.....do you think it is a memory issue or a motherboard issue?

Set up is
    Asus p5n e sli
    E8400
    Crosair 500W PSU
    ATI 4870

Btw all parts were running on Windows Vista but got a few BSOD before i tried install windows 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

Installed Windows 7 Rc2 on my PC as a fresh install and apart from a few driver issues all went well. But now having a problem with sleep mode. left the pc for about 30min came back to find no display or led’s on front of pc, but fans and hard drives were still running.
    Using keyboard or mouse made no difference I first presumed by Video card was gone but even with a different card still no display, so disconnected everything hard drive, sound card, etc. still nothing even removing the power cable made no difference, system would power up could hear hard spinning up and fans working but no led on front or post display on monitor.
    Sorted it out by removing the CMOS battery, and then rebooting. Everything then came back. Shut down into sleep mode and again same problem occurred only by removing the CMOS battery could I get the PC to come on. System is a new PC only about 2 months old so I have disabled sleep mode for the moment.

That's odd, sounds like it might be a BIOS issue. See if there's an update available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Anyone try install the windows 7 ultimate from the release event in galway the other day? is it time limited like release candidate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

apeking wrote: »

Then put all 4 back into the board and memtest crashed before teh test even started.....do you think it is a memory issue or a motherboard issue?

Set up is
    Asus p5n e sli
    E8400
    Crosair 500W PSU
    ATI 4870

Btw all parts were running on Windows Vista but got a few BSOD before i tried install windows 7

Seems like a voltage issue to me. The two sticks together aren't getting enough voltage or are drawing more than the board can deliver, try messing around with the voltage setting in the bios

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Cracked review of "Windows 7" The screenshots tell a story aswell.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/using-windows-7-may-lead-to-murder/

Anyone here rolling Windows 7 out in their workplace? I might throw it on my PC but I doubt we'll be pushing it out to the general public for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I want to roll Windows 7 out to the office the only thing stopping it is going to be cost. We can get family packs and that would save a lot of money but frankly pro editions might be more useful. Plus, any move off of XP means we need a new 5 user license for Quickbooks, which is not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭homer911

phill106 wrote: »
    Anyone try install the windows 7 ultimate from the release event in galway the other day? is it time limited like release candidate?

There is nothing on the disc or sleeve to indicate it is - It would be pretty naff of Microsoft to expire the software and not warn people in advance, so I dont think thats the case..

I'm going to the business release event in Belfast tomorrow, will have to see what it's like in an office. Don't see us rolling it out for the same reason as Overheal, XP is ok so far and I don't see us seeing too many reasons to upgrade to 7 yet considering the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Yeah same here really, we don't have any issues with XP so will stick with it. Our AV which is McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0 isn't compatible either so that stops it straight away. We are upgrading to the latest version at the moment but even then I don't think we'll go with Windows 7.

It's too much hassle and cost involved to upgrade really when everything is running fine as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Anyone know if there's going to be a discounted version for students, like in the US/UK?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Overheal wrote: »
    I want to roll Windows 7 out to the office the only thing stopping it is going to be cost. We can get family packs and that would save a lot of money but frankly pro editions might be more useful. Plus, any move off of XP means we need a new 5 user license for Quickbooks, which is not cheap.

If you're talking about office machines shouldn't you be pursuing Small Business type licences rather than family packs? The Open Licence Program might be of use to you, by the sound of it...(admittedly no Win7 on there yet but I assume that's only the case until the 22nd)

MrSparkle wrote: »
    Yeah same here really, we don't have any issues with XP so will stick with it. Our AV which is McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0 isn't compatible either so that stops it straight away. We are upgrading to the latest version at the moment but even then I don't think we'll go with Windows 7.

It's too much hassle and cost involved to upgrade really when everything is running fine as is.
    The Microsoft guys at the show in Belfast said they have a free antivirus program for Windows 7 that you can download from somewhere or other. It's free for individuals and small businesses.

The only reason I could see for upgrading to Win7 (for small businesses anyway) is a cheap speed boast for older pcs, along with stability and security. I could see us upgrading some of the PCs with win7 and an extra stick of ram next time we're considering buying new pcs.

Some IT guy from Tayto was at it. Apparently their company is already in the process of upgrading all their computers to Win7 and sever 2008 R2.

There are allot of cool features built into the professional version but you seem to need server 2008 R2 to take advantage of allot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The Microsoft guys at the show in Belfast said they have a free antivirus program for Windows 7 that you can download from somewhere or other. It's free for individuals and small businesses.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It works on XP n Vista as well as 7.. I'm using it now...

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It works on XP n Vista as well as 7.. I'm using it now...
    How are you finding it and what would you rate it compared to the likes of McAfee & Norton ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Well I never used McAfee or Norton... Find them to be a bloody pain, have always used AVG myself.

Anyways, it works.. Thats all I can say, I haven't found it any slower or faster than AVG. I'm using it with windows 7. To be honest I forgot I had it installed, never noticed it running...

Wouldn't use McAfee or Norton either, they just take over any machine their installed on, real pain in the hole. I've been using Avira since AVG stopped supporting the free version. Will be trying out Microsofts one.

Wouldn't use McAfee or Norton either, they just take over any machine their installed on, real pain in the hole. I've been using Avira since AVG stopped supporting the free version. Will be trying out Microsofts one.

There is a free edition of AVG 8.5 but I think it's way too sluggish so I removed it fairly quickly. I'll possibly be testing the MS one too, still haven't found an acceptable replacement for AVG 7.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

No search so not sure if this has been answered,

raid0 on win7 - anybody running it? I've read one or two things that it's 'broken' under win7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

kaimera wrote: »
    No search so not sure if this has been answered,

raid0 on win7 - anybody running it? I've read one or two things that it's 'broken' under win7

Using Raid 0 on Windows 7, no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just a warning, you have less than a week (6days) left, to pick up a Windows 7 RC trial serial.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

Sorry, the Windows 7 RC is no longer available for download. If you’ve got the download and need a product key, they’ll be available until October 21, 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just installed my copy of 7 professional that I got from college :D

Running great!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

just got my copy of windows 7 ultimate 64bit in the post today, a lot earlier than i expected :D

upgraded from vista ultimate. took about an hour and a half to migrate about 70gb of data and docs. went smooth like butter. had to reinstall display drivers for some reason.

up and running pretty much as soon as the upgrade was complete. running no hassle at all now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Does anyone know much about the Windows 7 student offer?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

Accordiing to the site DIT is a recognised college for the offer but when i enter my college email it gives an error. Theres a option to verify your college details but im getting no response from it.

Anyone know anything on this?

Advertisement