Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Does anyone know how long is left to evaluate windows 7 build 7100 seeing windows 7 is out soon?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In March it's gonna start restarting itself every few hours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Does anyone know much about the Windows 7 student offer?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

Accordiing to the site DIT is a recognised college for the offer but when i enter my college email it gives an error. Theres a option to verify your college details but im getting no response from it.

Anyone know anything on this?

Note that the offer says you have to have a uk email but anyways this crowd are a real pain. It also validates TCD but when you go to pay it only offers Great Britain as a permitted country for the credit card address. So it is a considerable waste of time. Even if it was the case that only uk email addresses are validated for the offer surely a lot of uk based students would have credit cards with addresses in their own home countries.

I emailed them about this but got the type of reply that meant my email had not even been read!!! They referred to Office in the reply!

I emailed Microsoft in Ireland about student pricing but have not had a reply yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpuk/en_GB/DisplayHomePage?resid=oSeIUAoHAj8AABdleCoAAAAB&rests=1255887073925

On this page the section on the right hand side under 'am I eligible' has a link and it lists nearly all Irish major colleges... Im hoping that maybe when W7 is released officially that maybe this site might work properly, though Im not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

ah thats just mean!
    Listing us, and then saying they can't validate us...

Hopefully it will all be resolved on launch day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Just a quick one. Does each copy of Win7 come with an option of installing either the 32 or 64 bit version or are they two separate retail products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Vyse wrote: »
    Just a quick one. Does each copy of Win7 come with an option of installing either the 32 or 64 bit version or are they two separate retail products?

I received 1 disc for each... but with only 1 product key altogether. I assume you can only activate 1 version at a time.

All retail copies of Vista, except Ultimate, came with 32-bit media and a form to obtain 64-bit media. Ultimate contained both. I believe all editions of retail Windows 7 will contain both discs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

ok, so after reading some positive reviews i decided i would partition my hard drive tonight, install windows 7 and try it out.

however the release candidate version is no longer available from the microsoft site. they're still offering a 90 day trial of the enterprise version - can anyone explain what this is exactly?

It's a 90 day trial of the final version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

nice one. i was getting confused with all the different versions going around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

dub45 wrote: »
    Note that the offer says you have to have a uk email but anyways this crowd are a real pain. It also validates TCD but when you go to pay it only offers Great Britain as a permitted country for the credit card address. So it is a considerable waste of time. Even if it was the case that only uk email addresses are validated for the offer surely a lot of uk based students would have credit cards with addresses in their own home countries.

I emailed them about this but got the type of reply that meant my email had not even been read!!! They referred to Office in the reply!

I emailed Microsoft in Ireland about student pricing but have not had a reply yet.

Just ordered mine with my UCD email address. Yes you need to leave in GB but this is just for invoice address. My credit card was accepted no problem and the order is confirmed. I'd say this is the UK and Irl store seeing as the Irish colleges are listed here. Its not exactly promoted on the Microsoft Irl website!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just ordered mine with my UCD email address. Yes you need to leave in GB but this is just for invoice address. My credit card was accepted no problem and the order is confirmed. I'd say this is the UK and Irl store seeing as the Irish colleges are listed here. Its not exactly promoted on the Microsoft Irl website!

Unfortunately though you are depending on your own credit card company to approve the credit card number and details entered not the site in question. If the authorisation process was working properly then your card should not be approved as the address will be wrong when checked against the one they should have on record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Getting a few BSODs after putting my PC to Sleep recently, is there any of the performance monitor thingies in W7 I can use to see the problems/errors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Getting a few BSODs after putting my PC to Sleep recently, is there any of the performance monitor thingies in W7 I can use to see the problems/errors?

Funny you should say that as i get a bsod starting the pc after puttin the pc on sleep too.

Although i think this also happened to me in Vista 64 bit. I put it down to my pc being a custom build and though it might just be the psu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I was invited to the tech launch on the 17th in DIT in Dublin.
    At that, they gave away the Ultimate version of Win 7.
    Having installed it, I have to say I find it in speed alone a great improvement.
    (From button press "on" to actual real use - 30 seconds.)

A point to note. Even the tech boys at the launch admitted that it is better to do a "fresh complete install" rather than "upgrade".

Under the bonnet of the operating system, the code has been re-written and it shows in a number of ways.
    I won't go on about the improved features - there's loads of info on the net about those.
    Surfice to say, this time Microsoft seems to have gotten it right, both in how to get the operating system across to the public and how to improve upon it from the XP days (Vista being a major hic-up in the road to success).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

So I am awaiting my copy of W7.Currently using Vista HP, and reading through, some say Upgrade some say fresh install. Anyone had any problems with the upgrade option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Apologies if this has been asked and answered also.

I am on vista home premium 64 a retail copy I purchased with my pc.

I am considering upgrading to W7 and am wondering if I purchase this upgrade edition http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Vista/dp/B002DGS81C/ref=br_lf_m_1000338553_1_1_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=software&pf_rd_p=473304233&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000338553&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=00ZVTEQVH5KPYYE9RGZD

Do I have to do an upgrade install. I would rather do a clean format and installation of the new os

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Hey guys

Quick question, I currently have Vista Home Premium 32bit installed on the main PC and I'm hoping to get Windows 7 64 bit.

Is it easy enough to switch from 32 to 64bit?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

Shanio100 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Quick question, I currently have Vista Home Premium 32bit installed on the main PC and I'm hoping to get Windows 7 64 bit.

Is it easy enough to switch from 32 to 64bit?

Thanks.

nope you can't upgrade from 32 to 64.

i did a clean install from vista 32 to windows 7 64 a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

To answer both questions MS reccommend a clean install.

There is a link to the manual for the Win 7 upgrade pack:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91dxIK02xpL.pdf

You can't upgrade XP to 7, only Vista and a quick look through the manual seems to show a clean install is possible. Sure if not do a clean install of Vista then run the Win7 upgrade.

I'm not sure if you can upgrade from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit 7 but perhaps you should tke the oppertunity to do a clean install.

I spoke to Microsoft staff at the tech launch last week and they all said the same - they recommend a fresh clean FULL install rather than an upgrade.
    Cuts out all the partial old code, dll files, etc that might seep through from Vista - more so XP, which might remain with just an upgrade.

Confirmation of this can be found here at this BBC report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8315298.stm

Another general BBC write up: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8310867.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Biggins wrote: »
    I spoke to Microsoft staff at the tech launch last week and they all said the same - they recommend a fresh clean FULL install rather than an upgrade.
    Cuts out all the partial old code, dll files, etc that might seep through from Vista - more so XP, which might remain with just an upgrade.

Confirmation of this can be found here at this BBC report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8315298.stm

Another general BBC write up: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8310867.stm

If you buy the upgrade version of Windows 7 and then try to do a clean install how does it verify if you have Vista installed?

You start the install process from your Vista installation.

If you buy the upgrade version of Windows 7 and then try to do a clean install how does it verify if you have Vista installed?

You can't do a FULL fresh install from an upgrade disk (in 99.5% cases - there are the exceptional techie pro's that can hack the cd to do it).

You have to buy the full versions sadly for a FULL (hard-drive wiped/formatted if necessary) fresh install.

See the manual I posted above.
    It shows the steps you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭ULMarc

i don't know why i'm even asking this question because i'll know by tommorrow anyway but, since i've clicked reply, will 7 be discounted for irish students?

also. as an irish student can i buy it from the uk at the student price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Available from Dell on new pc's already.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Mine arrived in the post from Amazon.co.uk about 30 minutes ago!

:D

• Advertisement

Ooh, I'm getting mine from Amazon too. Its coming here to work tho.
    Maybe deliveries will drop it by tomorrow.

Advertisement