Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

To use all of your ram you need to use 64, though 32bit drivers are easier to find, not that you'll have muc trouble with a stock dell.

I've been running windows 7rc and now windows 7 pro 64bit on my dell Studio 17 for the last 4 or so months and have never had a problem... I only have 3gb ram but I intend on upgrading that when I get a few shillins together..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Should I get Home Premium or Professional? Professional is only €20 more on G2PLAY.net but if I'm not going to use the extra features there's no point.

When it says Windows XP compatibility etc., is there any backdoor to that? Will I be loosing any level of compatibility compared to what I have now with Windows Vista Home Premium? If not I may just go with the Home version. I don't use much in the way of older software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Windows XP mode - not sure. Afaik, it's just that they bundle a virtualisation program in with Windows, but I've hear that Win 7 does have legitimate changes that make it easier for XP to access low level hardware at the same time Win 7 is running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I got a Vista machine, due a free 7 upgrade from HP next week or so, my machine is currently running 32 bit, but i'd like to upgrade to 64 bit and do a fresh install of 7 when i get it. Anyone know if this is possible from the free upgrade to windows 7 disks, with the program for comps bought after june 26th? or will i just have to wait to get my disks to see?

All the key's are the same for 32bit/64bit so it will more depend if its on the disc they send, you could probably borrow one if it isn't(presuming its not a locked down oem key dealy...). But while you'll have to wait and see odds are you should get a 32bit and 64bit disc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wiped the RC and installed the full 64bit version of Win7 today. IT was painless, had to install the network adapter driver separately but other than that it was extremely straightforward.

Entire process took about half an hour from format to internet ready pc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

OK this is my situation. I have a internal HDD with Vista on one partition, and XP Pro on another partition. I have a external one with all (or most) of my programs on another. I'm running XP Pro as the boot, but want to put Win7 on it. I know you have to do a clean install, but can I disconnect the external HDD and then do that, then delete the XP partition? I can't get it to boot into Vista for some reason???

I don't fancy backing up all my programs as it's a fair bit? When I unplug the external HDD it still boots into XP. Any ideas ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That sounds like a bit of a mess, TBH.
    If you install programs they make changes to the Windows Registry so they can run.
    (Its a database that stores important settings like file type associations etc)

If you plug your external into a different OS the registry won't have the same settings and your programs may not work.

If I were you I would wipe the Vista partition, since it's already borked by the sounds of it, and put on 7. You can then install your programs at your leisure, locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Im thinking of upgrading Vista to 7 and have a few questions.
    I have home premium so I assume putting the 7 home premium upgrade on will be straighforward. Ive been looking at the OEM on komplett. How is this different to the normal retail version?
    Also is their any real advantage to getting 64bit as I have only 3gb ram, do all programs work on 64bit?
    Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mmcd wrote: »
    Im thinking of upgrading Vista to 7 and have a few questions.
    I have home premium so I assume putting the 7 home premium upgrade on will be straighforward. Ive been looking at the OEM on komplett. How is this different to the normal retail version?
    Also is their any real advantage to getting 64bit as I have only 3gb ram, do all programs work on 64bit?
    Thanks in advance
    Usually OEM versions don't have upgrade capabilities, as they are designed to be purchased with a new computer. I would reccomend anybody upgrading to a new OS not to run a "upgrade" program but to back up everything, wipe Vista and put on 7 (can be done in Windows 7s installer). Down the road upgraded computers can have issiues, so its better off fresh installing.
    Theres no advantages for you with only 3gig ram going for 64Bit version, however should you ever want to upgrade RAM in future it will be of benefit so I would go with the 64Bit version,

Nick

M$ recommend a clean install rather than an upgrade. You can however still upgrade if you wish.
    An OEM OS has stricter licensing. It's more tied to your hardware than a retail copy.
    If you heavily upgrade your PC, change the motherboard for example, you may not be able to use the OEM licence on the "new" machine.

I haven't had an compatibility issues with 7 x64. That said unless you plan on upgrading your RAM in the future there's not much point with 64 bit for now. The retail version included both 32 and 64 bit disks anyway. Not so sure about the OEM version.

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Usually OEM versions don't have upgrade capabilities, as they are designed to be purchased with a new computer. I would reccomend anybody upgrading to a new OS not to run a "upgrade" program but to back up everything, wipe Vista and put on 7 (can be done in Windows 7s installer). Down the road upgraded computers can have issiues, so its better off fresh installing.
    Theres no advantages for you with only 3gig ram going for 64Bit version, however should you ever want to upgrade RAM in future it will be of benefit so I would go with the 64Bit version,

Nick
    Id prefer to go for a full install but thought the upgrade would be cheaper. Is their any difference between OEM and standard retail full then?
    Is their any possible disadvantage to 64bit?

Id prefer to go for a full install but thought the upgrade would be cheaper. Is their any difference between OEM and standard retail full then?

A OEM copy will allow you to do a full install, it will also possibly be considerably cheaper.. As other people pointed out though OEM copys are tied to your motherboard, so if you plan on changing motherboard your Windows is not licensed. Standard retail edition comes with 2 discs, One 32bit and another 64Bit. OEM will only contain one disc of your choice (32 or 64Bit) with license.
    Theres not really a dissadvantage to 64Bit anymore, since Vistas been out most manufacturers have released proper drivers, and software developers releasing proper patches, that said if you have any really old software you need to use, it may be worth googling to see if it is compatible, same goes for older hardware (Windows 7 64Bit should have no problem with Vista 64Bit drivers), also for ancient 16bit software you won't be able to use on any 64bit OS,
    I'd go with 64bit mainly because if you want to upgrade your RAM down the road, it would be pointless with 32Bit but with 64Bit will be useful

Nick

The upgrade, AFAIK, just means that you swap your existing Vista licence for a 7 licence. You can still do a clean install.

Ive read that the OEM comes without any support.
    What is this support they're talking about?

Ive read that the OEM comes without any support.
    What is this support they're talking about?

Basicly if you are not able to install it microsoft wont be there to help you :), OEM versions are designed for system builders, dell & the likes so they get licenses cheaper so they give the tech support, shouldnt be a issiue for you :). It will still be supported in the sense that it will activate and work properly and you can ring them if you run into difficulties

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ No you can't, besides activation over the phone. No support means Microsoft will offer no tech support. You'll still get updates and stuff.

Stephen wrote: »
    ^^ No you can't, besides activation over the phone. No support means Microsoft will offer no tech support. You'll still get updates and stuff.

If you run into difficulties with activation, microsoft will help you, you phone the freephone # and you can activate it over the phone,

Nick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OEM

it's cheaper because it's not licensed for sale to the end user only to system builders and then only when purchased with motherboards (the "hardware" loophole was plugged a long time ago)

it's cheaper because it lives and dies with the mother board it was supplied with / first installed on

it's cheaper because if you upgrade it later on then the upgrade also lives and dies with that motherboard

yes it's also cheaper because there is no support on it, but in general the likes of HP / Dell offer more support to the end user than Microsoft so a moot point, and besides there is the whole internet to search or you could even ask here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone here have the Virtual PC RC download (64bit prefered)? Its not available on the MS site anymore and you cant install the release version on RC Windows 7 :(

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/thread/61e16760-a500-481e-a90c-9b933f0fced8

Advertisement