Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

Just a question, does anyone know if the keys are really specific to the CPU type, would a 32-bit key work on 64-bit? It does with Vista.

Got my key by the way. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Karsini wrote: »
    Just a question, does anyone know if the keys are really specific to the CPU type, would a 32-bit key work on 64-bit? It does with Vista.

Got my key by the way. :)
    I read they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

infinite amount of keys available to all......for the time being
    I know many of you have had issues with the Windows 7 Beta site over the last 24 hours. As you may have noticed the download site has been up and running smoothly since this morning. That said, we apologize for the inconvenience that it caused some of you.
    Due to an enormous surge in demand, the download experience was not ideal so we listened and took the necessary steps to ensure a good experience. We have clearly heard that many of you want to check out the Windows 7 Beta and, as a result, we have decided remove the initial 2.5 million limit on the public beta for the next two weeks (thru January 24th). During that time you will have access to the beta even if the download number exceeds the 2.5 million unit limit.
    Thank you for your enthusiasm, interest and willingness to beta test. It has been great to see the positive early reviews and feedback. As you know, this is a beta product. We are working hard to get Windows 7 ready and right. Your input is a critical part of that process. Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

anyone else getting permissions issues while trying to play video or mp3 files? installed vlc to try and fix that and set the file's to open with vlc , same error will only work if i drag and drop to it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Have you installed the patch?

• Advertisement

I've had this running for a while and here's my view on it. It feels more polished than Vista and I like how UAC isn't so annoying. But I do think the new taskbar is yet another OS X ripoff, it's very similar to the dock. The Media Center seems excellent, I've tried it on the RTE DTT channels and they work fine, even with MHEG-5 support. When I eventually have to abandon XP (assuming I decide to stick with Windows) I'd choose Windows 7 over Vista for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

can't get the media centre to see my hauppauge nov s2 :(

it won't let me install the latest drivers.

anyone miss quicklaunch on the taskbar?????
    Windows 7 Quick Launch..

is hidden!!

Right click in the taskbar -> Toolbars -> New Toolbar...

Now search in

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\

for the folder "Quick Launch"

Then un-pin everything from the superbar

much better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dardania wrote: »
    I'm using beta build 7000 on an asus s101 netbook (usual atom 1.6ghz cpu, 1 gig of ram, 16 gig SSD & Intel integrated graphics) and it is surprising how polished it feels.
    Compared to running Vista, how well does Windows 7 run on one gig of RAM?
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    No I got the key first time, I had earlier registered through TechNet for it and was signed into my Live account before I clicked the link.
    You don't need technet access. Once you have a hotmail account, you can sign in to get it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Anybody have this working with Coreavc for MCE? And ac3filter setup for dts/dolby?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the_syco wrote: »
    Compared to running Vista, how well does Windows 7 run on one gig of RAM?

heh, are people even that stupid to do that with Vista?

i've 3 GB RAM in this machine and the performance improvement is still noticeable between the two. I've still to fully work my way around 7 though, so i can't go into great detail.

yup :D running on a two year old laptop and its fine for most things with 1gb of ram.

Windows 7 however does boot and run better than vista does however i do not have av or a firewall on it just yet or the majority of my everyday apps.

That said 7 does chew through folders and large groups of files much quicker than vista does and even copying from a usb key seems improved to me.

I'll need to get everything set up and use it more though before a final judgement.

Most "cheap" laptops only had a gig of RAM when Vista first came out. Drove me mad with people comparing a gig with Vista F*CKING DIRECTLY with a gig on XP! :mad: :mad: :mad: And then wanting their money back because the n00bs thought they had a faulty machine, as it was slow.

So yes, yes they did.
    calex71 wrote: »
    Windows 7 however does boot and run better than vista does however i do not have av or a firewall on it just yet or the majority of my everyday apps.
    List of compatible W7 av's: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx

=-=

RE: ATI drivers: I like the way Microsoft has learned from the release of Vista: allowing people to develop drivers for it before it goes official. I'm sure people remember when Vista first came out, everyone was playing catch-up with the drivers.

Most "cheap" laptops only had a gig of RAM when Vista first came out.
    I've even saw a few with 512MB! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

RE: ATI drivers: I like the way Microsoft has learned from the release of Vista: allowing people to develop drivers for it before it goes official. I'm sure people remember when Vista first came out, everyone was playing catch-up with the drivers.

This was actually done with Vista also - ATi in particular were well ahead of the curve in terms of driver development for Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Vista was available to hardware vendors for well over 2 years before its release. They had plenty of time to develop drivers for it but most didn't bother their holes until after release.

Even nVidia's drivers were shoddy as hell for a few months after Vista's RTM.

Posted from Windows 7 on a Samsung NC10 netbook with only a gig of Ram and an Atom processor and it seems very responsive, I hadn't even tried to install Vista as I knew it would crawl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

If anyone is interested Im installing a copy of this on my 2nd almost dead laptop which just about meets the minimum specs. Vista on it was unusable so Ill see what its like with W7.

Thank god there isnt an ISPCL (laptops) this one has taken some abuse!

EDIT: Ok WOW. I am impressed now.This OS has been obviously built to scale either way. Im running it on an old Dell P3 1.2GHz laptop with 1GB RAM with AV, firefox and MSN all going and its smooth as silk. It does take time booting up, but I would expect that with a low level processor and RAM but once booted it works fine. I'll fire a copy of office onto it now and see how it performs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Karsini wrote: »
    I've even saw a few with 512MB!

Same as. It should be a crime to sell a computer with vista and 512MB ram.

Have this running on my advent 4211 with 1.6Ghz atom processor and 2GBs ram. Runs like a dream and it seems just as fast (if not faster) as my nlited xp install. Very impressed with it.

Stephen wrote: »
    Vista was available to hardware vendors for well over 2 years before its release. They had plenty of time to develop drivers for it but most didn't bother their holes until after release.
    News to me. Esp as when Vista first came out, the hardware I was supporting at the time had no Vista drivers. Was mainly Intel sh|te, but there was some ATI/nVidia, me thinks, but there wasn't Vista drivers at the time. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just installed Windows 7 as a dual boot with vista on my old machine. Likeing it so far. Having a play round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Stekelly wrote: »
    Just installed Windows 7 as a dual boot with vista on my old machine. Likeing it so far. Having a play round.

Is it easy to set up the dual boot?

Niall0 wrote: »
    Yep very simple just select custom install and select a partition let it do its thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Niall0 wrote: »

Yeah, as Villain says just set up a partitian (Vista has a tool for this in Computer management) then you can just run the disc in Vista and choose the empty partitian to install too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

ive mine on a total seperate harddrive , dual booting with vista , since i installed 7 , i havent booted back to vista atall ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

for anyone who hasnt downloaded or received a key (like me) Microsoft has lifted the floodgates until January 24th. Downloads and Serial Keys will be distributed in excess of 2.5 million until that date.

edit: The beta page will let me fill out an application for the 32-bit but whenever I try 64-bit it keeps on giving me error messages (unknown error)

Anyone a spare 64-bit key?

edit2: nevermind i cheated the system :p on the page they issued my 32 bit key i altered the url to direct me to the 64 bit printou page it and pooped out a 64-bit key. and it just keeps generating new ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

News to me. Esp as when Vista first came out, the hardware I was supporting at the time had no Vista drivers. Was mainly Intel sh|te, but there was some ATI/nVidia, me thinks, but there wasn't Vista drivers at the time. Meh.
    that was one of the gripes about vista the manufacturers had so long to get drivers right and didn't :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im begining to miss some of the Polishes that Vista had that 7 hasnt. The new taskbar is a bit weird, and the tray icons look very beta. Firefox looks out of place even. Heres hoping I can get some games to run faster on the 64-bit architecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I've only a gig of RAM on my laptop and it runs Vista...would anyone reccomend trying Windows 7 out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Definitely worth a look to play with it if you are curious. Use partition Magic or similar to create a 50gn partition and 7 installs a dual boot nice and easy :)

Advertisement