Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Heh, I thought I d'l it and run it on a VM, but the product key page isnt loading properly for me. I keep getting redirected a 'We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found' live search default.

Grr...

Register my email adress, click continue, and I get nothing but:

And as soon as I start posting to complain, I hit refresh to be sure, and bingo, she works.

Now to give it a good hard poking in Virtualbox. Whenever it shows up.

Anyway, great thing about Virtualbox is I can mount the .iso, without even burning the disk. I can see how well it behaves at different levels of RAM and VRAM, and I can generally muck about. Probably will install on Linux partition, because it's got more than enough freespace for it. Vb guest additions for Windows should work fine too, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

2 questions...
    Would using the management thing in Vista have any advantages over VBox which I was going to use and...

Ive Vista 32 bit on a laptop and was wondering if (1) it was possible to get 64bit and (2) if it would have any advantages (I wont be trying to install more ram so other than that)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Mmcd wrote: »
    Ive Vista 32 bit on a laptop and was wondering if (1) it was possible to get 64bit and (2) if it would have any advantages (I wont be trying to install more ram so other than that)?

If your CPU supports 64bit then by all means go for it - although the limiting factor with 64bit is peripheral drivers (many manufacturers / OEMs don't bother writing 64bit drivers)

Regarding perfomrance improvements I believe 64bit is more processor efficient thus faster at running processes, but as for the science of it...maybe this wiki on XP 64 might be of help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition#Advantages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Dardania wrote: »
    If your CPU supports 64bit then by all means go for it - although the limiting factor with 64bit is peripheral drivers (many manufacturers / OEMs don't bother writing 64bit drivers)[/URL]

In order for manufacturers to receive WHQL certification for their devices then are required to release x86 and x64 drivers so drivers are no longer the limiting factor when it comes to choosing your flavor of Vista/Windows-7.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    Im begining to miss some of the Polishes that Vista had that 7 hasnt. The new taskbar is a bit weird, and the tray icons look very beta. Firefox looks out of place even. Heres hoping I can get some games to run faster on the 64-bit architecture.

You can make the taskbar behave the way it used to. Right click the taskbar and click properties. Change the option "Taskbar Button" to "Never Combine" or "Combine When Taskbar is Full".

Does anyone have an alternative to Daemon tools that will work with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

is there an email client with windows 7 ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

stanley1 wrote: »
    is there an email client with windows 7 ?
    Nope. You can download the windows essential pack (not sure if that is the name) or you can use mozilla thunderbird. I use thunderbird and it is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Windows Live Essentials pack houses the Photo Gallery and Email and crap. I'm quite happy they have decided to make it removable though to be honest. Makes for a slimmer build.

Partitioning though with computer Management, is still a nightmare :/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

You can make the taskbar behave the way it used to. Right click the taskbar and click properties. Change the option "Taskbar Button" to "Never Combine" or "Combine When Taskbar is Full".

Ultra iso and power iso work anyway, Very first thing I ran into lol

Daemon tools I always stayed away from. False positives though they may have been, virus alarms make me feel uneasy. I use MagicDisc all the way.

As for your taskbar fix, its just not the same :( I miss my quicklaunch buttons being seperate altogether from my active tasks. Anyways when I do that it makes the TB too fat - I keep it on the right of the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Daemon tools I always stayed away from. False positives though they may have been, virus alarms make me feel uneasy. I use MagicDisc all the way.

As for your taskbar fix, its just not the same :( I miss my quicklaunch buttons being seperate altogether from my active tasks. Anyways when I do that it makes the TB too fat - I keep it on the right of the screen.

just drag it over when u enable quicklaunch its on the right think you need to tell it to not show the name also

I posted on how to show it a few pages back i think

Mine looks just the same as vista now,

seems to be impossible to get msn to not use 2 items on the task bar though

calex71 wrote: »
    anyone miss quicklaunch on the taskbar?????

much better :)
    What a pain in the ass! I'm writing angry feedback

Ultra iso and power iso work anyway, Very first thing I ran into lol
    Cheers. Will give those a shot later.

MAgicdisc cushion. Magicdisc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

anyone finding the networking daft in Windows 7? I had ridiculous difficulty getting it to connect to my college network, WPA-Enterprise, and the UI makes no sense... having to manually tick a box to allow it to input my username and password? it seems to just drop the internet randomly as well, though i can detect no fault with the hardware or driver.

and on my machine at least when returning from a 'sleep' I've noticed that not all applications return to full functionality. I know people have had problems like this on Vista and XP, but i've never come across it in this machine before installing 7.

ps. magicdisk is a pile of turd.

MAgicdisc cushion. Magicdisc.
    Installed Ultra iso and whenever I hovered over any button it made a stupid swooshing sound so that had to go. Was gonna try power iso but it doesn't seem to be freeware. Magicdisk it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Hola,
    Downloaded the beta and am trying to install it on my laptop. When you download it, do you have to extract it before you burn to DVD? I didn't and whenever I put it in my laptop it just opens Windows Explore and shows the file on the disc (2.43GB)

ps. magicdisk is a pile of turd.

Damnit, Overheal!!!! What makes it crap, lenin?

I'm sitting on the .iso... and I'm debating with myself if I should just take the plunge and replace Vista, or if I should VM it. VM'ing it seems like a bit of a waste though, especially since it'll work all the way through to August.

Problem is, I've got some crap that will require re-activation when I install, Kaspersky anti-virus being the most notable one. I was thinking of reformatting the drive from scratch anyway, but I don't want my anti-virus to quit on me, and I seriously don't want to have to go through the bother of requesting a reactivation. Bloody DRM.

It's sitting there.... and I have a dillemma

Damnit, Overheal!!!! What makes it crap, lenin?

well first off i hate those virtual drive things. the last time i went to use one it corrupted my USB drivers, and did some other strange **** to affect my music programs of all things. even after uninstalling it my mother's ipod would not be detected by the PC when i plugged it in.

and oddly enough, guys in my class today were just giving out about magicdisk, saying it's bloated, annoying and just not as good as the others.

• Advertisement

Dartz wrote: »
    I'm sitting on the .iso... and I'm debating with myself if I should just take the plunge and replace Vista, or if I should VM it. VM'ing it seems like a bit of a waste though, especially since it'll work all the way through to August.

dude, it's a BETA. don't be f*ckin stupid, DO NOT USE IT AS YOUR MAIN OS. in little over one hour of use today I've found at least 5 bugs, one of them potentially quite serious. VM it if you want to play around with it, but don't do anything important on it and most importantly backup all your important data on your PC before installing it, even if in a dual boot or VM.

I'm not stupid... I was just thinking of reinstalling anyway, and pondering if it might be worth trying. I have no spare partition for the damn thing, so I'd only have VM'ing. But Vista on itself isn't my primary OS, I've been using Linux for that.

Bugger it anyway.

Hola,
    Downloaded the beta and am trying to install it on my laptop. When you download it, do you have to extract it before you burn to DVD? I didn't and whenever I put it in my laptop it just opens Windows Explore and shows the file on the disc (2.43GB)

restart your computer. press f12 really quickly to access the boot menu and then select boot from disk. then it will work...

i don't know the process for installing it in a VM though.

Dartz wrote: »
    I'm not stupid... I was just thinking of reinstalling anyway, and pondering if it might be worth trying. I have no spare partition for the damn thing, so I'd only have VM'ing. But Vista on itself isn't my primary OS, I've been using Linux for that.

Bugger it anyway.

ah fair enough, apologies for being a bit condescending then. I've just seen a lot of people talk lately as if they are going to use it as their primary OS and made assumptions.

well first off i hate those virtual drive things. the last time i went to use one it corrupted my USB drivers, and did some other strange **** to affect my music programs of all things. even after uninstalling it my mother's ipod would not be detected by the PC when i plugged it in.

and oddly enough, guys in my class today were just giving out about magicdisk, saying it's bloated, annoying and just not as good as the others.
    bloated? I use it because its small an unobtrusive. The only problem I ever had was if you mount another iso without unmounting the other one, it will clash gloriously. other than that, it works a peach. dont have an ipod or more importantly anything to do with itunes so I cant vouch for that. Ive been using MD for a few years now.

bloated? I use it because its small an unobtrusive. The only problem I ever had was if you mount another iso without unmounting the other one, it will clash gloriously. other than that, it works a peach. dont have an ipod or more importantly anything to do with itunes so I cant vouch for that. Ive been using MD for a few years now.

I don't think anything is smaller than FileDisk. But it doesn't work on Vista x64 or Windows 7 x64 because it's an unsigned driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

anyone finding the networking daft in Windows 7? ...
    Yes. The Homegroup thing really adds another layer of complication to networking. It's a step in the right direction for your average user wanting to share things but think it could be refined further. My samba share isn't seen by 7 at all, despite both being in the same workgroup. No issues with this file server on any other version of Windows or any other OS.

What happened to Windows Terminal Services and Entire Windows Network and the like? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

dunno if it has bein covered or asked but i've just installed windows 7 on a second hd
    it picks up my internet connection but wont open any pages in ie or firefox, windows update just hangs and i cant update avg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

EDIT: double post

• Advertisement

guil07 wrote: »
    dunno if it has bein covered or asked but i've just installed windows 7 on a second hd
    it picks up my internet connection but wont open any pages in ie or firefox, windows update just hangs and i cant update avg

mine's not as bad as that, but it definitly has a tendency to drop the internet a lot! there's something wrong with how it handles the network device i think, the drivers aren't integrating properly or something. I'm wondering is it just a case of waiting for windows 7 specific drivers to come out for the devices?

Advertisement