Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Mine's working on Virtualbox 1.6.

It has trouble mounting share'd drives. Gives an error saying it can't find a drive of that name. Otherwise fine. I think this might be due to a quirk of Vmware gues addittions, which I had to run in Vista compatibility mode to get to install. It might be running into some issues.

No hardware acceleration on 1.6 mind, so no Aero, but otherwise she's doing fine. On the whole, I could install it, run it, and muck with it. Maybe when drivers mature, I might install it over Vista.

I normal reinstall a Windows OS every ten-12 months anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well that was fun.

Restarted Win7 after a few hours of gaming and a wake from sleep mode, and the boot manager had become corrupt. Its been hell getting these partitions to play together nicely.

and now that ive recovered it seems as though my font has been ****ed with. Not just in firefox but on my desktop too. weirdest thing.

edit: okay no. Some sites looked a little messed up, like the font on boards looks a little pixelly, but Wikipedia is really messed up. See attached.

I should mention its in my Vista partition the funkyfonts is going on - the win7 is fine :confused: but I had to repair both using the win7 disk after the boot manager died so maybe thats where the problem originated...still, fonts?? Very ****ed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sound isn't working through my speakers. I'll look into it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

SickBoy wrote: »
    In order for manufacturers to receive WHQL certification for their devices then are required to release x86 and x64 drivers so drivers are no longer the limiting factor when it comes to choosing your flavor of Vista/Windows-7.

Didn't know that - smart move by microsoft... I must admit before I downloaded the proper beta I did check if my CPU would support 64bit - Intel Atom 270s don't by the way :-s

Atoms are the new netbook processors arent they? Thats a bit odd. 64-bit architecture hardware wise is not at all new.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    Sound isn't working through my speakers. I'll look into it later.

I had this problem too. Your speaker system might need a specific driver. Running it in virtualisation I needed to install a bunch of things to get it up and running. I had to install the drivers using Vista compatibilioty to get them working. The fixed the sound

Same basic thing for a native install.

Dartz wrote: »
    I had this problem too. Your speaker system might need a specific driver. Running it in virtualisation I needed to install a bunch of things to get it up and running. I had to install the drivers using Vista compatibilioty to get them working. The fixed the sound

Same basic thing for a native install.
    Yep, i'm thinking i'll try the Vista drivers on it, see if I can get them to install later.

It's usually not hard to get it going. So far, it's been surprisingly well behaved. I do have problems finding network shares, I get a 'Network location name not found" error, but I think that may be a driver issue, as I can get out through the host networking and connect to the web/download stuff.

(Posting from Windows 7 btw)

Ya, I had that error too. I just tried to look for another laptop on the network last night and I got something similar. Besides those two problems it has been well behaved.

Must be a bug then.

even "net use x: \\vboxsvr\shared" in terminal gave the same error.

• Advertisement

for virtual pc i seem to rememebr there was some menu option on the vpc window itself - cant remember what the option was called but it was one of the primary ones, it links the VMware to your hardware, and adresses a lot of issues, like mouse-lag.

Overheal wrote: »
    for virtual pc i seem to rememebr there was some menu option on the vpc window itself - cant remember what the option was called but it was one of the primary ones, it links the VMware to your hardware, and adresses a lot of issues, like mouse-lag.
    'Install guest additions'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Atoms are the new netbook processors arent they? Thats a bit odd. 64-bit architecture hardware wise is not at all new.

My thoughts also, but mabe they just value engineered some existing technology they had...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Atom_microprocessors#Atom_N27x_series_.28single-core.29

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Netbook Atoms are not 64 bit. Desktop Atoms are.

That's pretty much what 'guess additions' does. Stuff that integrates the VM better with the host. That said, I have managed to get it to mount my NAS now, using 'net use' in the terminal, it's only the virtualbox share it isn't mounting, which is most likely due to me installing guess additions in Vista mode.

It's a minor niggle, but an irritating one. I sent a feedback back explaining the problem anyway. Who knows, it might even be read...

I've used VMware before, and found it a good deal more finnicky than virtualbox. For one thing VMware wouldnt always work with networking, and consistantly required repatching and recompiling each time I updated my Kernel. It never quite integrated properly, even with it's integration options enabled. Eventually it broke completely and I just didn't bother fixing it. Virtualbox also needs kernel module recompiling with an update, but it is a lot less painful to do.

Anyway, I'm used to Linux, so I'm used to mucking around to make things work occasionally. In fact, it's kinda fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Is the Win 7 beta suitable to run as a primary OS on my HTPC (currently running Vista Ultimate) or is it too early/complicated to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There has been problems with video playback in relation to the ATI drivers.
    As for Nvidia pfft..probably won't release a driver till Win7 SP1 similiar to their vista debacle.
    My advice is to leave as it for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^ Wrong. nVidia's Windows 7 driver was released directly through Windows Update.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_7.html

Yep, it installed my nvidia drivers from windows update right after the install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Stephen wrote: »
    ^ Wrong. nVidia's Windows 7 driver was released directly through Windows Update.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_7.html

Yeah..just saw that after my post :D
    But ATI also have a driver in Windows update and also released another driver based on 8.12.
    What's the betting it will be some time before Nvidia release another driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

I have been using windows 7 since the weekend and its faster than Xp. If the final version has the same performance levels as this beta, I think this will surpass Xp and be Microsoft's best performing Operating system ever ..

My only gripe is the new taskbar, for some reason I feel it's just not right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dartz wrote: »
    Mine's working on Virtualbox 1.6.
    worth looking a newer version?

Too lazy, tbh. I downloaded it, but never quite got around to installing it. In the end, I sort of forgot about it. It works more or less fine, for most things. Even people using 2.1 are reporting the same issue in anyway's so...

Is the Win 7 beta suitable to run as a primary OS on my HTPC (currently running Vista Ultimate) or is it too early/complicated to do that?
    Its too early imo. Its a neat build but there is no guaranteeing that a future update trying to fix something wont crash something else, etc.

Do not install it on a machine you require daily. If you do, make sure you have bot hthe win7 and the vista DVDs handy in case something goes wrong (like the boot manager goes missing...), and backup your files; install Win7 on a new partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Bodan wrote: »
    I have been using windows 7 since the weekend and its faster than Xp. If the final version has the same performance levels as this beta, I think this will surpass Xp and be Microsoft's best performing Operating system ever ..

My only gripe is the new taskbar, for some reason I feel it's just not right.
    If anything, it should be at least fractionally faster when all the debugging code is removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Anyone else having problems playing Spore???

It loads up fine till it gets to the main screen with the Galaxy showing all yor saves and then it just shows the loading cursor and won't load... It's pretty annoying now :( I want to make my phallice monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i heard its getting released in mid january off a friend..is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

doubt it the beta is runnin till august afaik

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ethernet wrote: »
    If anything, it should be at least fractionally faster when all the debugging code is removed.
    the windows 95 Beta was faster than windows 95 because microsoft added delay loops to slow down some parts of it in order to wait for older legacy hardware :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    i heard its getting released in mid january off a friend..is this true?
    I think it's meant to be out January 2010.

Advertisement