Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Play.com Vs Asda-entertainment.co.uk

• 30-12-2008 7:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I have bought many many items from Play.com in the past but since they have failed to lower their conversion rates I have looked at other websites, I'd like to ask peoples opinions of Asda Entertainment, www.asda-entertainment.co.uk

I see they also deliver for free to Ireland and they charge in Sterling, looking at some bestselling items on both sites, Asda wins hands down

Play.com
    Family Guy: Season 7 - €25.49
    Asda
    Family Guy: Season 7 - £17.91

Play.com
    Gears Of War 2 XBox 360 - €41.99
    Asda
    Gears Of War 2 XBox 360 - £34.91

Play.com
    Take That - The Circus - €12.49
    Asda
    Take That - The Circus - £8.93

So the total for the 3 items at Play.com is €79.97 and the total at Asda with a conversion rate of £1 = €1.05 = €64.83

I know where I will do my media shopping from now on :eek: Wake up Play.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

As per the Asda website

"Which countries do you deliver to?
    We only deliver to addresses in the UK.

Other countries are displayed should you wish to send the invoice to an alternative billing address however we do not offer delivery outside of the UK."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Glos wrote: »
    As per the Asda website

Other countries are displayed should you wish to send the invoice to an alternative billing address however we do not offer delivery outside of the UK."

I've ordered successfully from Asda to ireland a few times in the past with no extra charge. so unless they have changed their policy in the last couple of weeks that quote from their website is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Glos

Thats handy to know KenDragon - Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jason Ryan

Likewise, I've ordered from them recently. No issues with del to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Any Christmas presents I bought from ASDA, I found them to be delivered faster than Play. Like with everything though, there is no one-stop-shop for all items. Play can be cheaper, even with their poor exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Asda have always had that notice on their website but the items have always arrived here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thanks for that OP, havent used play for a long time either, due to the reasons you mentioned....

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Was just looking for Fifa '09 for Xbox & came across this.

Now that's a damn good price from these

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/plat_shop.asp?platform=XB360

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Ya i think i'll be using Asda now too as the sh*te exchange rate and long delivery time with play is not worh it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Interesting.. thanks for the tip! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

If Play.com are cheaper; buy from them. If not buy from Asda, blahdvd or others.

Recently play have indeed become less competitive for the Irish customers and are seldom cheaper except for 'specials'. Also their service is appaling.

Blahdvd charge £1 delivery per game/bd/dvd but you pay sterling. Little Big Planet is £17.99 at Blah here + £1 p&p = £18.99 total

Play.com have same on UK site for £24.99 for UK customers here and for Irish customers it is €34.99 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

I've used Asda & generally pretty good, never been charged delivery

Few problems with the orders before Christmas, seems like their normal supplier went into administration, so there were delays. Sales rep also mentioned that things would now be shipped from the Channel Islands, so I think that may end up encurring customs....so worth spliting the order up.

Got Lego Batman for £17.40....about €18.50....the price in Smyths, Zavvi, HMV was €49 to €45.....big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Glos wrote: »
    As per the Asda website

Funnily enough this cropped up in another thread and I emailed then and this is the relent part of their reply I received 2 days ago:
    A customer service colleague has looked at your query and has found the following:

I have checked and we still do send to Ireland. Please contact us again if you having problems placing orders.
    . I am currently waiting delivery of an order from them so there's no problem with delivery to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

was thinking of changing my address on play.com to say Dublin, Ireland country:England.

my brother did this on schuhs website and it worked and he only had to pay the sterling price.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Was just looking for Fifa '09 for Xbox & came across this.

Now that's a damn good price from these

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/plat_shop.asp?platform=XB360

-

Wow thats good:) Has anyone ordered off them before though? How much is P&P?

UPDATE: And I have checked P&P is £2.95 per order :D
    I'm gonna get Fallout 3: Collectors Edtition, COD 4, Far Cry 2 (PS3)
    Should be about €80 delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Just about to order Fifa 09 (£20), and Unreal Tournament 3 (£15) ... under €40 delivered, what a bargain! Gone are the days of paying €70 for a game eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

...Until the exchange rates go back to normal. Meanwhile, lets make the most of it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

karmabass wrote: »
    Just about to order Fifa 09 (£20), and Unreal Tournament 3 (£15) ... under €40 delivered, what a bargain! Gone are the days of paying €70 for a game eh?
    Tell me about it. I was looking at some old GameCube games I had, 69.99 for Zelda and Metal Gear Solid from Game. Crazy prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Thanks DonJose :thumbsup: got two anime boxsets -Bleach and ghost in the shell for 31 euro double the saving from Play: when they use their fantasy exchange rate:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

How long does delivery take from ASDA?

• Advertisement

agentgreen wrote: »
    How long does delivery take from ASDA?
    I've ordered from them a few times and generally delivery would be between 4 and 8 working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

muffler wrote: »
    I've ordered from them a few times and generally delivery would be between 4 and 8 working days.

The longest I waited for anything before Christmas from Asda was 7 days max from placing the order. There was one issue where they couldn't supply one of the CD's I ordered but they kept me advised via email while they waited for an update from one of their suppliers but eventuallly emailed to say my credit card had been refunded aplogies etc etc. However all in all a good experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    was thinking of changing my address on play.com to say Dublin, Ireland country:England.

my brother did this on schuhs website and it worked and he only had to pay the sterling price.:P

Did he get his stuff without any delays ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Reckon they'd ship a PS3, just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've been recommending Asda Entertainment for the last year or so..

.. absolutely fantastic prices and free quick shipping to Ireland.

One of the best online shops currently in operation.

They are good. What a lot of people probably dont realise is that they and The Hut are one and the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

basquille wrote: »
    I've been recommending Asda Entertainment for the last year or so..

.. absolutely fantastic prices and free quick shipping to Ireland.

One of the best online shops currently in operation.

Must of bloody missed that. Remember looking and just thought they didn't deliver. Was holding back from transferring money to Wirecard. Damn! Just transferred! Cheers OP! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭chasm

Me Too- thought they only delivered to uk!- Will have to have a nosey around the site now.
    As for play and their lousy exchange rate, what the hell is that about? I was looking at the Babylon 5 boxset, Its 78.99 sterling or 224.99 euro.-Im lost for words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

They are good. What a lot of people probably dont realise is that they and The Hut are one and the same.

And sendit seem to be the one and the same too. Price between the 3 seems to differ very slightly though.

With all the new custom from Ireland, lets hope they too don't adopt a mandatory dodgy exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Does anyone know if they will post electronics , like a tv to ireland?

I bought dvds and cds from them before no problems, excellent service and better price than play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sedohre wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they will post electronics , like a tv to ireland?

I bought dvds and cds from them before no problems, excellent service and better price than play
    Asda Entertainment? I think they'll only ship items here under the Asda Entertainment domain (Games, DVD's, Books etc) - presume electronics is under another Asda domain (Asda.com or direct.asda.com) and they won't ship anything from those here AFAIK.

karmabass wrote: »

Did you get a confirmation email? I've just got one and it says I should recieve my package in 1-4 weeks!:eek: The help section says European Postage 3-14 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

evad_lhorg wrote: »

I was thinking about this but I think that they wouldnt have enough postage paid or stamps on it or whatever, for it to be shipped to Ireland. Royal mail would probably just return it to sender but you might get lucky. Does any one else know anything about doing this as it would be very handy if it worked every time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

chasm wrote: »
    As for play and their lousy exchange rate, what the hell is that about? I was looking at the Babylon 5 boxset, Its 78.99 sterling or 224.99 euro.-Im lost for words
    I imagine that's because it's a Play Trade item, so the shipping cost is set by the 3rd party, not Play, hence the lousy deal.
    However, their exchange rate still sucks and I believe I haven't bought anything off of them in months now, nor have many others I know, because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Conor108 wrote: »
    Did you get a confirmation email? I've just got one and it says I should recieve my package in 1-4 weeks!:eek: The help section says European Postage 3-14 days!

Off Asda or GamePlay?

I ordered of Gameplay & got exactly the same email but I would imagine it's just a standard disclaimer.

My last order arrived in less than 7 days (I can't remember exactly how many days though).

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

But why do ASDA do free delivery and the hut don't?

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Good question. They are probably operating independently like branches of a major store where each branch have their own particular offers etc. The Hut used to charge for delivery and then for about a year or more it was free but they started charging 99p per order a few weeks back.

I recall sending an inquiry to The Hut a few months ago and low and behold I got an answer - from Asda :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Is there free delivery on books from ASDA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

LeoGilly wrote: »
    TheHut used to be slightly cheaper than Asda and Sendit but lately I've noticed that they have been the same price for items.

genie wrote: »

No idea. But there is on TheBookDepository.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

genie wrote: »
    There's a note just below the copyright on every page:
    ASDA wrote:
    *Free delivery when you spend 20 GBP or more on books.
    I ordered 2 books totalling £15.16 in April and wasn't charged for delivery. I don't know when this disclaimer came into effect.

Advertisement