Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Broadband on a network?

• 30-12-2008 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I am sorry if this has been asked before; I had a look but could not find anything relevant.

I have a work laptop with a built in Vodafone 3g Sim card which is fine for my broadband needs at the moment. Can someone tell me if it is possible to get my desktop PC to connect to the internet through the 3g card in the laptop.

The desktop is running XP and the laptop is running Vista-both have wifi. I also have a wireless router. Can these items be combined is some Macgyver style invention and save me having to get a second connection?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

what you need to do is set up an ad hoc network between the laptop and the desktop and then allow the desktop to use the laptop's internet connection with internet connection sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Internet connection sharing needs to be enabled on the laptop.

Both Desktop and laptop need to be connected to the router or directly to each other either by cable or wireless. The laptop will have to be on in order to allow the desktop to access the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

I now have them connected directly to each other using a patch lead, and that is work perfectly. I can't get them to work through the wifi router. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    I now have them connected directly to each other using a patch lead, and that is work perfectly. I can't get them to work through the wifi router. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

At a guess I would say you will need to set up fixed ip's and set the laptop as the default gateway rather then the router. Don't have time to write out instructions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Thanks Cuddlesworth you have pointed me in the right direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement