Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive 'squeakin'

Options
  • 30-12-2008 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

I assume this means my hard drive is on its way out. Its about 2 years old and last defrag was Xmas day.

I don't think its a vibration and am very certain the noise is the hard drive and no PC fan.

I ordered a Seagate Barracuda from komplett. Is there anything i can do now to prolong the life of the hard drive till komplett deliver the new one?

'Squeak' isn't constant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

LOL...was copying a load of files about 30 seconds ago, thinking the same thing, came into boards and found this thread as the latest!

The HD in my own four year old self-build is doing the same. A defrag might help, but squeaking is normally a symptom of your HD coming to the end of its life. Mine has been squeaking away merrily for the past year, normally during heavy file I/O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I noticed its only loud in the morning then it might be a little squeaky later on in the day.

Hard drive arrived at DHL depot this morning, just hoping they'll deliver it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Start backing up important files to DVD now. Don't wait until the drive arrives if you dont have a solid backup somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

have an external seagate HD. all my music, vids and downloads are stored on it. I've copied any work documents to it and my WoW installation.

EDIT: DHL couldn't find my address. Apparently the airways lable was missing information. Not happy with DHL and not happy paying komplett the extra for delivery considering DHL said I 'might' get it friday but its most likely going to be Monday. Regretting now running into town and buying from high street

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Back up everything you do not want to lose.
    I had a hard drive go recently and it was less than one year old.
    There is a little trick car mechanics use to locate noises. Get a screwdriver and place the tip on the hard drive and your ear to the handle. Your ear is sensitive enough to detect vibration and other noises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Backup quick!
    try not to boot it alot as thats when there under most strain

Advertisement