Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The path to atheism through the study of Islam

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

If the Quran has such vast amounts of scientific knowledge contained within it I hope you'll come back with evidence of whether or not the Higgs Boson exists, it might just save 10 or so million dollars repairing CERN. Of course, you could have just saved a few billion by expounding this proof before it was built in the first place.

As it is, all you're doing is reading a book and saying 'oh look, this is true' after the facts were discovered, simply retrofitting what you wish to see into the text the same as some do with Nostradamus. And more to the point, YOU are not doing it at all, you're just pulling crap down from rubbish websites and trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Well brother im off till Monday and tanx for your time. I shall pray for you all that you become Muslim inshallah.

your friend

Yusuf

Nothing fails like prayer ! Please Yusuf, as a man of science, you should refrain from praying LOL :p

"The American Heart Journal has published the best (as in largest and methodologically most accurate) study so far of the effect of intercessory prayer, and it has shown – prayer fails to make any difference whatsoever."

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com/2006/04/nothing-fails-like-prayer.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Yusuf Mirza

http://www.askislam.org/practices/preaching/question_529.html

Please have a look at this! The former head of our community gives an excellent discourse on the existence of God. I hope you will be as kind a sto have a listne.

Yusuf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I hope you will be as kind a sto have a listne.
    tl;dl

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

http://www.askislam.org/practices/preaching/question_529.html

Please have a look at this! The former head of our community gives an excellent discourse on the existence of God. I hope you will be as kind a sto have a listne.

Yusuf

Thanks Yusuf but I'm not going to fib so I'll say I think I'll give it a miss myself. You see, I've heard all (edit - make that probably heard all!) the arguments for god and I find none of them convincing, as in they all fall over in some way.

I'm not picking on Islam here, but all religions, and there are just too many of them to give my time and consideration to when all the proofs they ever seem to have are subjective arguments.

You could talk until the cows come home but until some unfalsifiable, objective evidence of god turns up it's not going to do any good.

And even then, should irrefutable evidence/proof turn up, whether or not I should or would 'worship' that god is another matter entirely. Personally, as an independent 'free spirit' I find the idea of worship to be craven and repugnant, no matter whether it's people, deities or even ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

'Because Allah has spoken to me'

'They are born into Islam'

'There is an inborn desire in man to find a creator and to worship him'

'The desire to follow someone with a religious zeal'

Is this it? Sorry, couldn't bear more than five minutes of that rubbish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I hope you will be as kind a sto have a listen.
    Listened to five minutes of it, but he falls into the same creationist pothole that's consumed a lot of christians too.

He says that humans are too complicated to have evolved, therefore, Allah exists. Unfortunately, he doesn't say where Allah comes from. In this, he applies to other people an argument that he will not apply to himself.

Very sloppy.

The rest of it seems similarly silly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm listening to it at the moment.

It probably needs to be a bit snappier if you're to get through to the youth of today! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

There is a difference between sayings something after it has happened and revealing something before it has happened.

IMO there's also a difference in making specific predictions and making general comments that can be interpreted in many different ways when and as it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

quantum physics

104 – 2:10

And what should make thee know what the "hotamah" is?

Allah's fire as preserved fuel,

Which will leap suddenly on to the hearts.

It is locked up in outstretched pillars to be used against them.

Hmmm. One could as easliy see this as a reference to 'Greek Fire', and the brass launchers the Byzantines used to deliver it. Cue smoking hulks where once sailed a proud Islamic fleet. Cue general hilarity among those pesky, stubborn Greeks. :D

But then my interpretation is merely the unenlightened guesswork of a heathen infidel. It's clearly evidence of Islam's secret uranium enrichment programme, circa. 7th century C.E. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement