Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu Server ??

• 30-12-2008 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I want to move completely to Linux at home and my first step is to set up a Linux file server. I've a little experience with Ubuntu and other distro's in the past but no Linux servers.

Can anyone recommend a basic setup tutorial that I can follow. I'd had a look at the Ubuntu forums guides and they're a little vague.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

ntlbell wrote: »

My Windoze box can't find cool pages like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

have you seen this device, clever wee thing I thought as someone who has resurrected old PCs and setup them up as fileservers running samba. Takes all the fun/learning out of it tho!

boidey wrote: »
    have you seen this device, clever wee thing I thought as someone who has resurrected old PCs and setup them up as fileservers running samba. Takes all the fun/learning out of it tho!

Nice idea, but can't see it replacing my Dell Poweredge ;)

I run a Debian box and use sshfs. Windows and Linux can connect in really easily and I haven't had any hassle in 9 months I've been using it.

Really easy to install Debian (just google it) and then simply: su ; apt-get install ssh sshfs and you are done. You can connect via the terminal on a linux machinge and WinSCP can connect on a windows box.

Edited to add: I know shag all about computers but if I can get it to work, then it can't be hard!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Excellent documentation here for Ubuntu Server 8.04 (LTS).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I would recommend debian for your server all the way, ubuntu being nothing more than a variant of debian anyway. I've run debian server's for years and despite the lack of frilly bits it's exceptional as a server os.
    For a home fileserver you don't need a desktop environment etc and it's ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

Hi,

I bought a Intel atom mini ATX bundle for a couple of hundred pounds and have ubuntu 8.10 running on it. It was very easy to set up and i use it for
    Streaming to xbox 360, Backing up my main computer/laptop and my File Sever.
    As its a low power system i have no problem leaving it on all the time so i dont have to leave on my main system.

Main software to configure is
    Samba,
    For sharing to windows

ssh,
    So you can connect remotly, even from your iphone.

ushare,
    To Stream to my xbox.

Rsync
    For backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I would recommend debian for your server all the way, ubuntu being nothing more than a variant of debian anyway

Far from it. Although it was originally inspired by Debian, Ubuntu's update schedule means you have access to far more up-to-date applications and modules, which are IMO more important for a home server than the idea that old = stable/secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

FruitLover wrote: »
    Far from it. Although it was originally inspired by Debian, Ubuntu's update schedule means you have access to far more up-to-date applications and modules, which are IMO more important for a home server than the idea that old = stable/secure.
    Fair point but that's out-of-the-box. The scenario you describe could easily be obtained by adding/enabling the so-called unstable (developmental) repositories and installing software from them.

A true server should be run with no GUI to save resources. The big Linux distros will have security patches and update the major software servers/utilities (Apache, Samba, PHP, Perl, CUPS and so on) very quickly.

As you've pointed out, some distros do lag behind in having the latest, bleeding-edge versions of software in their repos. This software, however, is usually graphical -- think Firefox, OpenOffice, GIMP and may face rebranding, integration or other code changes before being packaged and committed to the official repos. But, in all honesty, the availablility of the latest versions of these particular applications won't hinder the operation of the server.

Wow, didn't intend to type that much! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 versa

Something like this ?
    http://ebox-platform.com/
    based on ubuntu server

SME Server from http://contribs.org ( Down atm until friday)

SME Server is a nice server product but takes a bit of getting used to.

Download here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/smeserver/releases/7.4/iso/i386/

Or there is clarkconnect http://www.clarkconnect.com/

nice product but only free for 10 users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've been using 8.10 desktop along with samba for PC sharing and mediatomb for sharing to my PS3. Working very well so far.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I've been using 8.10 desktop along with samba for PC sharing and mediatomb for sharing to my PS3. Working very well so far.

Looks like its going that way for me as well. I tried my hand at the server config and found very fiddly.

I've just finished an install of Suse 11.1 and I'll install Samba later.

Whats mediatomb like ? I've been using Twonky for a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Mediatomb is great tbh. I ran into some minor hiccups but nothing I couldn't find on google or figure out.

You'll need ffmpeg and mediatomb to get everything working........almost. :) Then the 2 smaller config files on this page will be needed. If you do decide to set it up and run into problems drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Advertisement