Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Governments Post-Gitmo Relocation Programme?

Options
  • 30-12-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

From irishtimes
    In an interview published yesterday Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin expressed support for the idea of accepting exonerated detainees for resettlement, reportedly describing it as a "logical follow-through" from the Government's call for the facility to be shut down. The Minister indicated he would raise the issue in Cabinet.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Justice yesterday said Mr Ahern's statement on the issue still stood. "The department is not aware of any change in Government policy," she added.

Amnesty International, which has been lobbying the Government to take in one or more of the detainees, welcomed Mr Martin's comments. "I agree with Minister Martin that there is a 'logical follow-through' from Ireland's opposition to Guantánamo, and the use of torture, to helping shut it down," said Colm O'Gorman, executive director of Amnesty's Irish branch.

"Ireland can assist the incoming US administration in closing Guantánamo by accepting one or more exonerated detainees and we are ready to work with the government to see how best this could be done … The momentum to shut down Guantánamo is unstoppable and Ireland must play its part."

About 50 of the exonerated detainees at Guantánamo cannot be returned to their countries of origin due to the risk of torture or other mistreatment. These inmates come from countries with poor human rights records such as China, Libya, Algeria and Uzbekistan. Their predicament presents a major challenge to US president-elect Barack Obama who has indicated closing Guantánamo will be a priority after he takes office next month.

Piety in the sky or a worthwhile venture?

I reckon there is little to commend taking in people who should be looked after by the US government but I'm sure Michael Martin will feel all warm inside making the gesture.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mike65 wrote: »
    From irishtimes

Piety in the sky or a worthwhile venture?

I reckon there is little to commend taking in people who should be looked after by the US government but I'm sure Michael Martin will feel all warm inside making the gesture.

It would be a most mealy mouthed and pathetic thing to call for the places closure and then refuse to do anything to assist same.

And I think they've been 'looked after' a bit too much by the US, hence the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Why take Michail Martín's word on any of this subject?
    His plea of ignorance in the case of internees already 'renditioned' is dubious at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they helped fill it up anyway.

Advertisement