Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta no longer free with Eircom

Options
  • 30-12-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Very disappointed to find out that setanta is no longer available with Eircom BB. I have no idea why and they didnt even announce it.

The mail i got from them is as follows:
    Our value added service Setanta Always on for Sports is no longer
    available. We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.

Eircom net has recently launched a new watch Online service which gives
    you
    access to lots of video channels. From here you can view clips from Top
    Gear, hilarious videos from BBC Comedy, music videos, clips of the Irish
    soccer team and lots more.

What a joke!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Ah bóllox! and I just started using it to watch Liverpool as well...Damn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

gambiaman wrote: »
    Ah bóllox! and I just started using it to watch Liverpool as well...Damn them.

I know, i dont really want to watch their entertainment pack, i wanted setanta.

I aint too impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

glineli wrote: »
    Very disappointed to find out that setanta is no longer available with Eircom BB. I have no idea why and they didnt even announce it.

The mail i got from them is as follows:
    Our value added service Setanta Always on for Sports is no longer
    available. We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.

Eircom net has recently launched a new watch Online service which gives
    you
    access to lots of video channels. From here you can view clips from Top
    Gear, hilarious videos from BBC Comedy, music videos, clips of the Irish
    soccer team and lots more.

What a joke!!
    so in other words, links to youtube...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

I bought Eircoms 7mb on the 6th of Dec. The Broadband won't be setup till the 13th January.

Setanta was one of the reasons i bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Calebmcd wrote: »
    I bought Eircoms 7mb on the 6th of Dec. The Broadband won't be setup till the 13th January.

Setanta was one of the reasons i bought it.

I am exactly the same. Also no notification from Eircom, just one day it is there, the next it isnt!! Very poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

Noticed that it wasn't there the other day aswell.

Quality wasn't the best either, unwatchable most of the time.
    Sky sports do the same thing for sky subcribers and give you a 3Mb stream.
    Sentanta's was 200Kb!! :p

Suppose it was better than paying 23 euro a month for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

if any of you want directions to view free prem football online (im pressuming thats why you wanted setanta)........send me a pm and i will forward you the details, i watch every single liverpool game online for free but you can see every game that your team is playing also......ive been watching for 2 years now........you would be surprised by the quality streaming and the fanbase of the sites and you will need to d/load a few small pieces of software but it only takes 2 mins...;)........the website itself is not illegal, it just provides links to sports channels across the globe, including setanta........i will not post it here as im not sure about the house rules.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

daithijjj wrote: »
    if any of you want directions to view free prem football online (im pressuming thats why you wanted setanta)........send me a pm and i will forward you the details, i watch every single liverpool game online for free but you can see every game that your team is playing also......ive been watching for 2 years now........you would be surprised by the quality streaming and the fanbase of the sites and you will need to d/load a few small pieces of software but it only takes 2 mins...;)........the website itself is not illegal, it just provides links to sports channels across the globe, including setanta........i will not post it here as im not sure about the house rules.

Your not posting the links, it shows every sports channel but its not illegal...your kidding me right?
    Nobody has the rights to stream every football match on the net in this manner as such this is basically classed as warez

I don't want to see any further offers of this type made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

@ Cabaal - It is a legit website, i've used it a few times when i've been away from home. I think Daithi's reason for not posting the link was because he wasnt sure whether or not postin a link of this nature would get him banned.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

@ Cabaal - It is a legit website, i've used it a few times when i've been away from home. I think Daithi's reason for not posting the link was because he wasnt sure whether or not postin a link of this nature would get him banned.

So can you say 100% that this site has agreed rights with all the companys that are required to allow streaming of matches, I'd be impressed if they have because the likes of RTE and BBC cant even do that with matches they air.

• Advertisement

your right drummerboy........it is legitimate, just didnt wanna be banned.

Cabaal wrote: »
    So can you say 100% that this site has agreed rights with all the companys that are required to allow streaming of matches, I'd be impressed if they have because the likes of RTE and BBC cant even do that with matches they air.

I cant say yes or no to that because i dont know the ins and outs of it, and i am not involved with the website, so im not sure how it works. But i can say i hae used it a good while, my oul lad has, a lot of friends have too, and to my knowledge the TV Licience inspector nor the guards have called to the door to haul them away.

I'm not being smart, but i have never ever been told it is illegal. If it is, im sure it would have been shut down by now?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your not posting the links, it shows every sports channel but its not illegal...your kidding me right?
    Nobody has the rights to stream every football match on the net in this manner as such this is basically classed as warez

I don't want to see any further offers of this type made

no problem cabaal, wont happen again..............i will just let you know how it works, the website provides links to other websites only, for example if i was on holiday in south africa or the united states then i could watch live games on fox sports or the south african network on normal terestrial tv.......those channels also broadcast online in a similar way to RTE when it shows gaelic games.........this website DOES NOT HOST, it just provides links to channels that are broadcasting online.........

in any case, i wont be doing the "friendly neighbour" thing again on boards.ie, was just tryin to help some people out........lesson learned and noted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lenguy

Thanks for the effort daithijjj. Would you have any equivalent links to watch the rugby?

Re. Setanta Always (not!) on for Sport.
    I got the same pathetic responce from eircom, but I followed it up. I got an equally poor reply that it was a "business decision" by eircom.

Many of us subscribed to eircom on the basis that 'Setanta Always on for Sport' was part of the deal. As glineli notes below, no notification was issued by them that they were going to remove the service. Such shoddy treatment of your customers - is this the way that we are going to be treated for 2009?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

It seems to be back....

I'm curious, during all this period did anyone even ring Eircom and find out what the story was from them?

Funny thing, my oul lad only got BB with Eircom not too long ago - the main reason was to get Setanta. I told him about this last week, and he said he's always been able to get it!

He did notice the link had been removed from the Eircom homepage, but he had an old link which he has been using.

He's been watching all the rugby and soccer on it without a problem,.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Could you PM me the URL/link, please? A friend is on eircom and is having the same issue.

He doesn't have it bookmarked, of course.

Advertisement