Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most atmospheric stadia in football?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

lol, is that a wind-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No surprises there. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Jesus, no Ramon Sanchez Pizquain, or Mestalla, or the stadia of the likes of Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, Olympiacos, Panathanaikos, Lazio, River Plate, Boca Juniors, Tigre. Complete farce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Why do people bother. Its always geared towards english football and then to Liverpool. Load of ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Big European nights - you can't beat Anfield...a lot of the rest of the time?...not so incredible...

Obviously the list is a farce anyway though, even in relation to just english football i would say a lot of the smaller stadiums have far better atmosphere then the likes of old trafford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Old Trafford 5th:pac:
    Anfield 1st:pac:

Some of them are rediculous. Where's all the turkish stadiums and the likes?

How about we answer the question: What is the most atmospheric stadium in football?

I'm only going on personal experience here.

The best atmosphere I ever remember at a match I attended was at a Sparta Rotterdam Utrecht match last year. Sparta play in a small stadium, about 12k at most and it was pretty packed that night. About 9 or 10k. A good bit of noise coming from the travelling fans and from the home end. Also, when the teams came out ALL the home fans were there to cheer on their side. It was a great experience.

Here's what the home fans do at the start of the match (not the game I was at):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

The Camp Nou atmospheric? No way, unless they're talking in purely architectural or numerical terms. Els Cules are the most strangely subdued fans I've witnessed. I've seen a lot more passion from fans -- getting behind the team when things are going badly etc -- at FCB Basketball matches.

I say this as a Barca socio in case you think I'm an Espanyol feen or something - though they're nothing to write home about either...

turly wrote: »
    The Camp Nou atmospheric? No way, unless they're talking in purely architectural or numerical terms. Els Cules are the most strangely subdued fans I've witnessed. I've seen a lot more passion from fans -- getting behind the team when things are going badly etc -- at FCB Basketball matches.

I say this as a Barca socio in case you think I'm an Espanyol feen or something - though they're nothing to write home about either...

You sound like a Perico to me... :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stamford Bridge 45! :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can't really complain with No. 1 tbh.

That article says that Old Trafford is the largest stadium in England:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Old Trafford 76,212
    Wemberly 90,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't really complain with No. 1 tbh.

Seriously? In the whole world?

The fact that the Camp Nou, Bernabeu, Stamford Bridge and all the other big European teams stadia came higher than El Monumental is a fcuking joke tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Westfalenstadion in Dortmund is top tier in terms of atmosphere.

Have no sound on my PC in work so don't know how good this clip actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Have no sound on my PC in work so don't know how good this clip actually is.

Yeah but they are allowed to stand and obviously there is always a better atmosphere when the fans are allowed stand on the terraces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Big European nights - you can't beat Anfield
    Nah Celtic definitely wins for European nights imo. The crowd can literally drown out the pre-match Champions league anthem. Never heard another crowd come close to that and you can see the astonishment in the players faces.

"I've played in lots of big games and stadiums but I've never witnessed fans making that much noise in 90 minutes" - Owen Hargreaves

"The atmosphere here was unbelievable and it's an honour to play in such an arena." - Oliver Khan

"Celtic Park is the noisiest ground in the world." - Hugh Dallas

"The atmosphere generated by the fans in Celtic's stadium for our visit was the most impressive I have ever witnessed." - Xavi

"I have been in football a long time but never known an atmosphere like tonight. The Celtic fans were like nine extra men for their team" - Vladimir Weiss, Artmedia coach

"The atmosphere inside Celtic Park is one of the best in Europe - it's absolutely incredible." - Sven-Goran Eriksson

"It is spectacular to see the fans like that." - Alberto Gilardino

"Ive heard about the Liverpool fans, but when Im told about how good fans are, I ask them to compare these fans to Celtic. For me, Celtic fans are the example that all supporters should look to"Frank Rijkaard

“This is what we need in Italy, this type of environment. This was the essence of sport. To hear the Celtic fans singing and chanting after the game was incredible.” - Carlo Ancelotti

"I was worried beforehand about the game in Glasgow because I kept hearing that the fans were tremendously passionate. I was right to be concerned. The atmosphere they generated was as good as any you will find in Europe, including the Champions League Finals." - Santiago Canizares

"Celtic fans are some of the greatest supporters I know." - Clarence Seedorf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

How the Bernabeu makes the top 10 is beyond me, 300 ultras sur singing, everyone else in silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Celtic Park and Anfield are probably the only two British grounds that can have a claim to be on that list. Old Trafford is too hit and miss - some matches (especially the CL semi-final last year) it can great, others it's dead silent.

They seem to have just picked out the most famous stadiums. Turkish stadiums are about as intimidating as they come. The Mestalla should be there as well.

What about Croke Park for the Irish matches? :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've been the San Siro a few times. Was at an AC-Inter Derby and the AC fans were class. The Ultras give it loads.

I've been to a few English games in Hibury and Wembley (new) and it didnt do it for me compared to the San Siro.

Best Ireland game I've been to was the Holland-Ireland in 2000 (2-2 draw). Fantastic game. I've seen a few Ajax games as well both in the Arena and away. They can be hit an miss as well

Its the fans that make the Stadium

• Advertisement

That bad boy is next on my list. Gotta love that terrace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A few years back, myself and a few of the lads from my local club went to Milan to see AC v United, then off to Turin to see Juventus v Real Madrid. We were in with the Juve Ultras and I was completely hoarse after the game. I must try and find a clip of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

CiaranC wrote: »
    That bad boy is next on my list. Gotta love that terrace.

aye it is some terrace alright, a taster for New Anfield's Super-Kop (if the americans ever actually build it that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was in the Camp Nou a few years ago. It is a majestic stadium. Barcelona were due to play a champions league game later that night and the ground staff were cleaning and getting it ready. Marvelous structure.

I fear for Liverpool when they move as it is going to be very difficult to re-create the same atmosphere. Same happened to my team (Arsenal) after moving from Highbury to the Emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I agree that the list is a joke, Old Trafford used to have an atmosphere when the attendance was 56000, but only ever in the big games and some european games.

I presume most places had great atmospheres in the 70's and 80's but i'm not sure.

Celtic park has the best atmosphere in europe and I'm including fenerbahce in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

kearnsr wrote: »

I've been the San Siro a few times. Was at an AC-Inter Derby and the AC fans were class. The Ultras give it loads.

I've been to a few English games in Hibury and Wembley (new) and it didnt do it for me compared to the San Siro.

Best Ireland game I've been to was the Holland-Ireland in 2000 (2-2 draw). Fantastic game. I've seen a few Ajax games as well both in the Arena and away. They can be hit an miss as well

Its the fans that make the Stadium

A full Italian stadium has a great atmosphere, but unfortunately in the last few years this is increasingly becoming a rareity.

I remember going to Napoli - AC, I'd say it was 10 years ago. Absolutely unbelievable atmosphere, despite Napoli losing.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Nah Celtic definitely wins for European nights imo. The crowd can literally drown out the pre-match Champions league anthem. Never heard another crowd come close to that and you can see the astonishment in the players faces.
    Any links for all those quotes or do you just have a lot of time on your hands?

Celtic park has the best atmosphere in europe and I'm including fenerbahce in that.
    Did Celtic ever try to burn their own stadium down with themselves inside? :D I think not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Any links for all those quotes or do you just have a lot of time on your hands?
    I just googled and a load of bebo sites have the quotes on them. If a link for an individual quote and can't google for yourself let me know. :) Here's 30 seconds of googling...

Hargreaves

Kahn

Xavi

Xavi actually compares to 3 other stadiums on the list:
    “The grounds of Liverpool and Manchester United are good and the hostile feeling of playing against Real Madrid in the Bernabeu is also excellent, but the atmosphere against Celtic was the best.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

jank wrote: »
    Why do people bother. Its always geared towards english football and then to Liverpool. Load of ****e.

It is an English newspaper of course it is going to be bias,just like if an Irish newspaper did a similar thing, croke park would make it in.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

carlop wrote: »
    How the Bernabeu makes the top 10 is beyond me, 300 ultras sur singing, everyone else in silence.

Not the time I was there, the atmosphere was incredible, much better than the Camp Nou. I would have included the Allianz Arena on that list, was at a Bayern match in March and the atmosphere there was better than any other stadium I've been in. The German fans go mental fo 90 minutes and then all leave very quietly and orderly as if nothing had happened, despite their team having won. Most peculiar. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Olympic Stadium - Panathinaikos FC

Stadion Crvena Zvezda - Red Star Belgrade

Wisła Stadium - Wisła Kraków

Stadion Miejski - Lech Poznań

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Any time i've been to Old Trafford, the atmosphere has been muck. just slightly better than croke park for the Ireland games.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Emirates Stadium isn't at #1? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Emirates Stadium isn't at #1? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

:D

LOL times are poor for us Arsenal fans. Although the old Highbury should be somewhere in the top 50 IMO

LOL times are poor for us Arsenal fans. Although the old Highbury should be somewhere in the top 50 IMO

Might aswell put the Coliseum in then ffs... Get with the times man........ :pac::pac:

Well to be fair if you look at the list sunderland has 2 stadiums in that list. The stadium of light and the old roker park. They havent used that place for 10 years.

Well to be fair if you look at the list sunderland has 2 stadiums in that list. The stadium of light and the old roker park. They havent used that place for 10 years.

I was joking buddy. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ali Sami Yen definitely, the Stadio Olimpico on Derby day, the Mestalla, there seemed an outstanding atmosphere when Besiktas beat Liverpool 2-1 last year.

Were "last week's top foreigners" consisting of Terry, Lampard and Gerrard with Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Old Trafford definately shouldn't be on any list for most atmospheric stadia.I might have just been unlucky in the games I've been to, but its been terrible all the time.The games were too tbh so it might have something to do with that.

Goodison Park is brilliant tbh, has when i've been there anyway.I agree with the poster above about Wisla Stadium.The place is scary.I've been to a few Polish grounds and the fans really are another level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

stovelid wrote: »

Ha-ha. That has to be a wind up. I'm a die hard Liverpool fan but how the hell is Anfield the most atmospheric stadium in football. It's like a morgue for some home games??? Bar the odd Champions league game it should'nt be anywhere near the top spot. And don't get me started on O.T.. I've attended several Liverpool v Man utd games there as far back as 1982 (yes i'm old) and can tell you right now the atmosphere back when O.T. held what 55,000 was a hell of a sight better than it is now even for that game. Sure one of my best friends is a life long Man Utd fan and he says he thinks the atmosphere at O.T. is worse now than it has ever been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Old Trafford can be deafening, can be silent. Just like Anfield, especially in premiership games.

Celtic on European nights always seems amazing.

But to be honest, there's no way whatsoever that any seated stadium is in the top ten stadiums in the world. It's just not possible. Standing stadiums will always, always, make twice as much noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Any south american places on the list?

mad bastards down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Celtic have got to be the best for European nights.
    The St Pauli fans are mad bastards aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

That list is a strange one
    I'd add the Sukru Saracoglu (Fenerbahce)
    ...never been but my uncle is a Fenerbahce fan, he said they're both like nothing anywhere else in Europe.
    Here's a video- its a bit out of date because Appiah and Kezman have gone but it should hopefully give you a flavour of the place.

Des wrote: »
    Any south american places on the list?

mad bastards down there.
    the Maracana must have been mental in its day

jimmyboy wrote: »
    The St Pauli fans are mad bastards aswell!
    I'm proud to say I was in the Millerntor once... absolutely mental.
    Hells' Bells!

• Advertisement
Advertisement