Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Price for Cut Shelving

Options
  • 30-12-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Was just wondering which of the main DIY stores is the best one to go to for the cheapest price for some timber shelving to go into some sliderobes and will they cut the timber to your measurements in store?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Was just wondering which of the main DIY stores is the best one to go to for the cheapest price for some timber shelving to go into some sliderobes and will they cut the timber to your measurements in store?

Many Thanks

I dont know if any of the big brand stores will cut chelving for you, I very much doubth it, they usually have various sizes of sheet material though, but you will pay big time for it!!

Is there not a timber yard/supplier local to you, I'm sure they'd run you off a few shelves at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

B&Q

I don't think they'll cut softwood though

You should be ok once you don't go in with any silly requests ( angles, 20 or 30 pieces)

And if their all the same dimension should be no problem - best bet is to go with an 8'x4' (2.44x1.22) of 18mm mdf seen it for under €20 a few days ago

they do Contiboard too ( white melamine faced chipboard) - I hate it though - Expensive and breaks very easily without any warning

If you need different sizes though

REMEMBER:

1 - Biggest measurements at the top

2 - I've used those Striebig panel saws myself - Very temperamental machines - they can often be off by 5mm regardless how well you set it up ( the marking gauges are a nightmare once they get damaged)

3 - your measurements might be off too (€2 measuring tape Vs €20k machine) - Thats where the MDF will be handy - you can sand it very quick for a better fit.

Most Important

Make your measurements very clear - and do your best to work out how much you can get from 1 sheet and the easiest way to cut it up - you'll save time and money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Thanks for the replies guys the shelves i am replacing are the ones you described that crappy white melamine stuff cracks likes mad, and that chipbaord underneath terrible stuff

Advertisement