Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Torn Cruciate

Options
  • 30-12-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi i tore my cruciae ligament in my knee in spetember and have finally had my operation. I was reasonably fit before this but havent worked out in the last 4 months or so

Does any one have any tips as to how to get fit/back into shape as i have put on alot of weight all over, primarily around the belly region.

I can do stationary bike work and some core/weight work at the moment but running etc is prob out of the question for the next while.

Any tips or ideas?

What machines or exercises would be best to get myself back into shape?

Apologies if this has been asked before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Hi i tore my cruciae ligament in my knee in spetember and have finally had my operation. I was reasonably fit before this but havent worked out in the last 4 months or so

Does any one have any tips as to how to get fit/back into shape as i have put on alot of weight all over, primarily around the belly region.

I can do stationary bike work and some core/weight work at the moment but running etc is prob out of the question for the next while.

Any tips or ideas?

Just follow your physio routine. Dont try to do too much too soon. Its a good time to fix your diet because to be honest you can do shag all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

naughtb4 wrote: »

Any tips or ideas?

Sorry for hijacking a bit, but I'm wondering if I was suspicious of having some damage to my knee, where is the best first port of call....I'm opposed to the notion of going to my GP if all I will get is a hum and a haw and a bill of 50 to go see somewhere. How did you get the damage diagnosed, I know I'm something wrong with one knee for a while now but I like the direct route to diagnosis! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

yeah was thinking that :(

so sort out the diet and the bike is the best course of action.

Any weights youd reccomeend??

I injured it in a match and went to swiftcare and was refered to the Sports Clininc in Santry whihc is pricey but they are good there.
    My friend who similar to you had "something wrong with this knee" went there after being referred by his physio.

Remember his physio kept telling him to rest it though s maybe rest it and see how it is then before taking it further

The knee is a costly joint to repair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

This is one of the best sites for any info on recovering from cruciate ligament (or other sports injuries)
    Just search for Kneeguru - Bulletin Board - Cruciate Ligaments
    http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=17.0
    There are some excellent articles on correct exercises/weights needed to get knee back to full strength.
    Unless you are a premiership player or have access to a really good physio 4 to 5 times a week it will take at least 6-8 months to make a full recovery,

As regards a diagnosis. A good physio should be able to tell you if the cruciate is ruptured. They do a simple enough test called the Lachman test. (google it).
    This however does not guarantee to diagnose it, and I've known of a few people who got all clear from physio only to find out that the cruciate was in fact torn later on. Only other alternatives are to have an MRI scan, or to have an exploratory scope

Advertisement