Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNP home lab

Options
  • 30-12-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone build their own CCNP lab for home study? I'm thinking specifically of BCSI. If so what kit did you use and in what topology?

I guess it makes sense to replicate as much of the lab recommendations in the Cisco Press BSCI book as possible. I presume that one pod is enough?

As an aside: Can anyone recommend a good source (other than eBay!!) for back to back serial cables?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You can do pretty much everything for the BSCI using Dynamips/Dynagen (and better still just get GNS3 as it is a great GUI for them both). It runs real IOS images and you can do anything with it that you can with the real thing. It'll save you a lot of cash. I have a small lab here for security with 4 routers and with GNS3 I haven't had to touch it in almost a year.
    Switching is a little tougher since GNS3 doesn't strictly emulate it but if you have an image for a router that supports installable modules (I use a 3640 image) then you can configure your virtual router with a 16 port switch module that will let you do a lot of switching functions. You can always rent rack time for the more complex stuff. Unless you really want to shell out for some nice expensive L3 Switches ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Cheers _CreeD_ you've just saved me some money.

I've just had a play around with GNS3 and its the business.
    I already have about 60 - 70% of a workable CCNP BSCI lab at home - mostly from unwanted routers from work and hand-me-downs from friends who have finished with their labs. But to be honest if GNS3 is as good as it looks i think I'll just use that.

I'll cross the switching bridge (no pun intended) when I come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hi dermCu,

You may be interested in this video from internetwork expert:
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com/resources/iosonpc.htm

It shows exactly how to get everything up and running perfect for CCIE level and I would imagine it'd be okay for CCNP.

The guys there are fairly sound too and participate alot on Cisco learning network and have a community at www.ieoc.com .

Scott Morris in particular has been very helpful towards me while studying for my CCNA studies (and I haven't bought anything off them .... yet).

Hope that helps.

:D

Advertisement