Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a large sum from Euros to Dollars when moving abroad...

• 30-12-2008 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Really need some advice. Hope this is the right forum. I'm moving to the states soon for a masters course and have a bank loan sorted for €25k. I realise that the euro vs the dollar is good for us right now but how do I ensure that I can convert that money into dollars by getting the best possible rate?

Should I change it all in one go? Wait until I set up an account in the states and transfer it all from my Irish account then? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Also, is there anyone who has experience setting up american bank accounts and which one would be best to go with? I'll be in the states for at least 18 months. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

There is no guaranteed way to predict exchange rates and how the dollar/euro exchange rate will perform over the next while. People can give an opinion, some of them informed, but its still a gamble.

One option is to exchange it all at once and ask your bank for the best rate, rates improve as the amount to be exchanged increases. Also, you are a student and should get it commission free :)

Can't help with the US bank account info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The banks are fairly competitive here. Many offer free checking accounts (like a current account) if you maintain a small balance. I have mine with a small local bank who are performing very well despite the current economic climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    rates improve as the amount to be exchanged increases.
    Up to a certain level then they start getting worse. I also recommend a proper FX broker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Cheers for the replies guys, I'll check out the FX broker. How exactly do they work? I'm a bit of a novice at all this. Looks like I should be sorting it asap as exchange rate was 1.41 a couple of days ago, its now at $1.39 to the €

• Advertisement

Dollar kicking ass today, down to 1.35 on XE.com. The bank are meant to call me today but still heard nothing. If someone would like to give me a bit of info on buying dollars asap through a Forex, I'd really appreciate it. Basically just need to know the timescale involved once I wire funds to someone like xetrade.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

daveirl wrote: »

Does that account have to be in the states or can you set up a dollar account here? I dont have an account setup in the states yet. Apparently, I have to be over there to set it up in person

Advertisement