Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a computer off hardwareversand, having trouble installing windows xp

Options
  • 30-12-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, seeing as a lot of you have used hardwareversand I'm hoping you'll be able to help. I'm not very computer savvy but I got a computer off them, they assembled but I mustn't have selected software installation as well.

So I turn on the computer, it says something like "No boot disk found, please insert a boot disk and then press enter". So I assumed that meant windows xp cd, and I put that in and it goes into the blue screen for installation. But it says it doesn't detect any hard disk drives and then restarts the computer.

I really haven't a clue so any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

Have you a list of the specifications of the system that you ordered? If so look for what harddisk capacity you ordered e.g. 160gig, 200 gig or 500 gig...

Also if you can open the system up to see if there is any harddrives installed then it has come shipped with a hard drive but no operating system or the operating system is a corrupt installation.

What is the blue screen error that is displayed when you insert the xp disk. Is this the xp disk that was supplied with the computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Sounds like XP setup does not have a driver for your hard drive controller. Tricky. Can you tell us what the motherboard make and model is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Open up the PC and make sure that something like this
    400gb-desktop-3-5-sata-hard-drive-dhd-s400.jpg
    is connected to something like this
    p6ngm_sata.jpg
    With something like this
    221001A.jpg

Also to the power supply with something like this
    sata15pin.jpg

What version of xp do you have, how old is the disk?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thanks for the replies. I amn't at home now because I don't have internet access but here's the list of stuff I got off harwareversand. I'll try and open the thing up later, what do I need, just a screw driver?

No.: HV20OS58DE 2048MB-Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 Platinum Dual Channel, CL5
    No.: HV21S95ADE ASUS VW195S, 19", 1440x900, VGA, Audio
    No.: HV203FAKDE Coolermaster Elite 330 ohne Netzteil schwarz
    No.: HVR450CSDE Corsair VX450W 450 Watt
    No.: HV1325EIDE Excelstore ESJ9250C 250GB IDE
    No.: HV20E220DE Intel Pentium Dualcore E2200 "Box", LGA775
    No.: HV202S9BDE Logitech Opti. S90 Value PS/2 (B) OEM
    No.: HV33DSHODE Microsoft Windows XP Home SB System Builder-Version
    No.: HV202MS5DE MS Wired Tastatur 500
    No.: HV1127MSDE MSI P7N SLI-FI Sockel 775 nForce750i SLI, ATX
    No.: HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau
    No.: HV206STBDE Samsung SH-D162 bulk beige 16x / 48x
    No.: HV1023FJDE XFX GeForce 8800GT 650M, 256MB DDR3, PCI-Express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

is the pc supposed to have one or more hard drives? if there is more than one hdd then set the boot option to the other hdds and see if they boot. sounds like the boios was reset and the drive with xp is not set to boot primary.

also the xp instalation will need to have sata drivers added to it in order to pick up a hdd in the install. this can be done by pressing F6 during the xp install setup or by slip streaming the drivers into the install disk of windows xp.

the first step you should do is check the other drives for a install of xp.
    failing that google sata drivers and xp install there will be some tutorials on it.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

That's an IDE drive so the cable should look like this

idecablers4.png

and it needs to be connected to an IDE slot (blue in this photo)

epox8rdaplusmotherboarduj5.jpg

Also the power supply cable has a narrower end than the one DanGerMus showed you.

If the cable is plugged in to the appropriate places check that it is the connection at the end of the cable (master) which is attached to the hard drive, and not the one about 1/3rd up from the end (slave).

Also have a look at the jumper settings on the hard drive and make sure that they're in the Master position (Cable select should work too). There should be a label on the drive showing which setting is which.

Nice photos of the side of an IDE drive identifying the components here - http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm

Well there was one or two cables left over, and those pictures look like them but if it's inside the computer I don't understand why they would build everything else, close it up and then leave a couple of cables for me to put inside. I should mention, the sli video link thing with the two slots on it is also outside the computer, I assumed they have a single one in there for the graphics card and left that for me to put in if I get a second card...

lol I managed to open the case and every single connection was tied up in a ball, not one hooked up. I know nothing about the inside of a computer... all the stuff hardware seems to be there, just the wires arent connected.

Damn thats unreal.

I had one stupid cable arrangement regarding the controller for the Tri-Cool fan but thats ridiculous.

You may have a hard time with their customer service though. I reckon you'll have to ring them.

• Advertisement

well will I not be able to just connect the wires with a bit of help from a tutorial or something? i've done some googling but havent found anything very good.

Yeah assembly isn't a huge deal generally, although fiddling about plugging things into the motherboard can get a bit tricky.

Decent guide on tom's hardware http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/how-to-build-a-pc-part-3-uk,review-1929.html

god damnit, everything is connected except the hard drive power supply, its a four pin one and it just won't go in... it's black with yolks on top that bend when you push down on em, there is one already in the cd drive but the I can't fit the other one into the hard drive slot... any ideas why? should it slot right in no problem?

Yeah it should be easy enough they can be fiddly though sometime the Power supply end conections get a bit loose if you give the wires a gentle tug at the back of the connector before hand it can help line them up. Try wiggling it gently while sliding it in slowly....lol :) seriously though:cool:. BTW happ new year now i'm off to do a little of the alternate meaning of the aforementioned. night:D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

post a pic of the cable you are having trouble connecting and a pic of the hard drive you are connecting it to.

Advertisement