Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Camera Online?

• 30-12-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey, I was looking to buy a camera online and was looking to get it from pixmania.ie as they've got pretty low prices. But their customer service seems to be horrible as they kept me waiting for over 8mins without being able to have a conversation with any human before i got bored and hung up.

So was wondering if anyone bought anything from this website and is it a good website or is there a better place for me to get my camera from??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

go to 7dayshop.com they're very cheap at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^are they a good and reputed website??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yes.

Thanks for that!

And like is there any other place i could buy from?...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You could go the ebay route,or keaphoto.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

also try warehouse express, 7dayshop only deal in canon slrs I think.....

^ I am looking for a Canon Eos 1000D.
    I think 7dayshop has the best deal... Might go for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Pixmania is a great site too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

lots of "where to buy" information in the stickies.

Re: Pixmania - About a year ago I bought a SatNav for someone off them and no problems. Just did an online order without needing to talk to anyone. It arrived safe and sound probably about a week later. Haven't bought anything photography related off them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

And like is there any other place i could buy from?...

Not sure if you have transport to head northwards, but there's some great deals going across the border. If you're looking for a 1000D with kit lens, there's only a few pound in the difference between 7dayshop and Jessops (branch in Newry).

Not sure if you have transport to head northwards, but there's some great deals going across the border. If you're looking for a 1000D with kit lens, there's only a few pound in the difference between 7dayshop and Jessops (branch in Newry).

Is there a way Jessops can deliver it down to Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mcdonnells

Got My D90 at Calumet, great service and has shop in B/Fast if any issues

S

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

mcdonnells wrote: »

S

good web site

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod315.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

mcdonnells wrote: »

S

2nd that
    They are pretty quick and you can call them anytime. Nice crowd of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Hey, I was looking to buy a camera online and was looking to get it from pixmania.ie as they've got pretty low prices. But their customer service seems to be horrible as they kept me waiting for over 8mins without being able to have a conversation with any human before i got bored and hung up.

Why did you feel it necessary to phone them? Their website has all the information you need, I would have thought. I've dealt with them on several occasions and never had any problems.

Carrigman wrote: »
    Why did you feel it necessary to phone them? Their website has all the information you need, I would have thought. I've dealt with them on several occasions and never had any problems.

I'd like to speak to someone before parting with money but thats just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

landyman wrote: »
    I'd like to speak to someone before parting with money but thats just me

Speak to them about what? The relative merits and demerits of different cameras? You won't get that kind of service from any of the online companies. One of the reasons they can offer discounted prices is that they don't have such staff employed. The trick is to do all the research you need to do (e.g. reading the camera reviews on sites like www.dpreview.com) and then go online and purchase. You don't need to speak to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Came across this site recently ,havnt bought anything of it yet ,price for my 450D is half what i paid on hols in Dubai ,anyone else come across it ?

http://www.onichtech.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Daz R1 wrote: »
    Came across this site recently ,havnt bought anything of it yet ,price for my 450D is half what i paid on hols in Dubai ,anyone else come across it ?

If it looks too good to be true then be cautious!

It's a scam using the same webcam views as every other scam site.

One giveaway is the Verisign logo doesn't link back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Yea I'd be a big fan of the "if it looks to good to be true" club ;) and considering ive got my camera now and am just looking for the "endless extras" its pretty safe to say I wont be shopping there :D

Daz R1 wrote: »

That site has the exact same live 'office cam' as xeonos world, another dodgey site.... I smell a scam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

www.komplett.ie are cheaper and very good to deal with. now you can collect from them in blanch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

One giveaway is the Verisign logo doesn't link back

That is a great tip!

Cheers thimble.

I'ld like to get it off Calumet but they don't have the 1000d. I might go for the 450d if i can manage the funds though...
    If not i think i'll have to go with warehouseexpress or maybe komplett...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Have a look at http://www.camerabox.co.uk/

Found these are slightly cheaper than warehouse express. Not much but a few euro in your pocket is better than in theirs!

the-ging wrote: »
    Have a look at http://www.camerabox.co.uk/

Found these are slightly cheaper than warehouse express. Not much but a few euro in your pocket is better than in theirs!

This looks pretty good.
    warehouseexpress have stocks low for the EOS 1000D.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

Hey,

I was looking at the pixmania website and there is a difference of about €100 between the Irish version of the website and the English version with the exchange rate moving in our favour. Is there anyway to take advantage of this difference or I am stuck with the Irish zone???

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/765755/art/nikon/d60-af-s-dx-nikkor-18-55.html

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/765755/art/nikon/d60-af-s-dx-nikkor-18-55.html

Don't buy from pixmania... they're not the best reputed website out there... Their customer service is pretty much non-existent.

Check out parkcameras.com They're a uk site and have really competitive prices and decent customer service too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

dabs.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have bought from Pixmania and they're pretty good but I haven't ever had to contact their customer support which by all accounts is in the same league as UPC/NTL i.e. absolutely horrendous. That said, I think that Pixmania are exploiting their early success in the photographic mail order business and are now a bit on the expensive side so I haven't purchased from them recently.

I bought a D90 from Jessops via mail order in December, they shipped for free and because of a minor misunderstanding, I contacted them by phone and got an intelligent person who sorted me out. While part of my order was pending I called the same person and added another item for a friend (a flashgun for his missus), once again the same person in Jessops sorted me out no problem so I give them thumbs up for that.

Reasons to buy from Jessops: (no I don't work for them, look at my other posts)

1. They will deliver to your work address even if that's not your CC billing address

2. They employ intelligent people to respond to phone calls and e-mails

3. They delivered what I wanted, it was all well packed and padded and all of the charges were visible on the website before I entered my credit card details.

Credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

coylemj wrote: »

I bought a D90 from Jessops via mail order in December, they shipped for free and because of a minor misunderstanding,

Sorry but I was looking at the Jessop website, do they deliver to the Republic????

^you'll have to call them for that i think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No, they will deliver to the south no problem and you can do it on the web.

When you're doing the checkout you select the country and there are just three options: UK (Mainland & NI), Channel Islands and Ireland (Republic of).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From my experience, customer service from any of the on-line services will be horrendous if something goes wrong. Even the much lauded Komplett will make you go through a ridiculous Return to Manufacturer process if the goods they've sold you are faulty unless you kick up blue murder about it.

It's the risk you take buying on-line tbh. At least when buying a camera from a major manufacturer like canon/nikon/olympus you'll have the benefit of a european warranty which should be honoured in any of their service centres once you can show a reciept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I only bought my nikon D60 from Jessops in Newry last weekend, I had paid for a D40 just before new years and I was waiting for it to come in so I could go up and collect it, in the meantime I decided that I would get the D60 instead, there were one or two working in the shop that I found not to be very helpful, but one bloke was very helpful, so I tried to deal with him as much as I could.

Now I got a very competitive price from them, and I didn't mind heading up north to do the dealings, other than that my only problem with them was that they don't like answering the phone, but I got around that by not calling at known busy times, (I was in the shop on two occasions, when it was busy, and they were just ignoring the phone), but other than that, defineatly recomended.

Now that said, if I didn't upgrade to the D60, I don't know weather I would have been an unhappy customer still waiting on it . . . . . . .

Advertisement