Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreambox dm800

• 30-12-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I was wondering people opinions who have bought this device is it any good, thinking of buying this device and would value your opinion

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have one and its great one of the best pieces of kit I have bought. You might get a better amount of answers in the Sat section so I will move this thread there.

Thanks
    TCP/IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is the SW still beta or "finished"?
    (Common Gadget disease these days)

The new images are starting to look very good nearly as stable as my 7025 at this stage. I am looking forward to watching the liverpool game on ITV HD today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Jsut god one of these during the christmas, finding the motor setup to be a nightmare, sometimes the motor does not even power on (no green light). When i swithc back to my dm7000 everything is OK. Wont work wih USALS or desiq 1.2. Gona dig deeper mid week, anyone else had problems like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

M5 wrote: »
    Jsut god one of these during the christmas, finding the motor setup to be a nightmare, sometimes the motor does not even power on (no green light). When i swithc back to my dm7000 everything is OK. Wont work wih USALS or desiq 1.2. Gona dig deeper mid week, anyone else had problems like this?
    Did you try upping the power output to the motor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I would have thought the one card slot would be a handicap on the 800. Has anyone got multiple cards working on it?

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Did you try upping the power output to the motor?

How do you do that? The motor is powered sometimes, prob just missing a stupid setting or something, although the USALS setup seems pretty simple. I have had 4 diferent receivers running the motor with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

rlogue wrote: »
    I would have thought the one card slot would be a handicap on the 800. Has anyone got multiple cards working on it?

Good question, my DM7020 seems to have died this evening so it may be time for me to make the HD upgrade.
    I need to be able to read two cards though and one slot only would be a knockout blow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

You can install a 2nd card reader by connecting it to one of the USb ports so that will give you then two you need.

How do you do that? The motor is powered sometimes, prob just missing a stupid setting or something, although the USALS setup seems pretty simple. I have had 4 diferent receivers running the motor with no issues

This took me ages to figure out but here is what you need to do:

The below are the basic settings some other images have additional settings.

Configuration mode= Advanced
    Voltage mode= Polarisation
    Tone mode= band
    Use usals for this sat = yes Make sure this is turned on for all sat positions
    LNB= LNB 1
    Diseqc mode= 1.2
    Toneburst= none
    Commited Diseqc command= none
    Fast diseqc= no
    Sequence repeat= no
    Command order= commited, toneburst
    UnCommited diseqc command = none
    Diseqc repeats= none
    Longitude= Enter your coordinates
    Latitude= Enter your coordinates
    LOF = universal LNB
    Increased voltage= yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

thanks for the reviews but i was looking at this site is it any good to buy from...if you have alternative sites to but please post then up
    http://www.linuxsat.co.uk/dm800s.html

johnnyc wrote: »
    thanks for the reviews but i was looking at this site is it any good to buy from...if you have alternative sites to but please post then up
    http://www.linuxsat.co.uk/dm800s.html

Umm chinese version that could be a cloned box and not a real one.

I would avoid that box like the plague. The cloned Dreamboxes are being bricked by the latest Gemini images.

I would avoid that box like the plague. The cloned Dreamboxes are being bricked by the latest Gemini images.
    True, but with the price of the 800/8000, its hard not to be tempted.
    Have DM500 clones working fine without the latest images - but at half the price.

@M5 - hopefully TCP/IP's post covers this. Don't have the answer as have absolutely no experience with this box (yet). Just remember it being a problem before with other dreamboxes - they're was an option in settings (gemini image) that allowed you to increase the output power to the motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

oh thanks about that didnt realise it was a cloned dreambox, but liked the price so what website have you bought the dreambox from?

TCP/IP wrote: »
    This took me ages to figure out but here is what you need to do:

The below are the basic settings some other images have additional settings.

Configuration mode= Advanced
    Voltage mode= Polarisation
    Tone mode= band
    Use usals for this sat = yes Make sure this is turned on for all sat positions
    LNB= LNB 1
    Diseqc mode= 1.2
    Toneburst= none
    Commited Diseqc command= none
    Fast diseqc= no
    Sequence repeat= no
    Command order= commited, toneburst
    UnCommited diseqc command = none
    Diseqc repeats= none
    Longitude= Enter your coordinates
    Latitude= Enter your coordinates
    LOF = universal LNB
    Increased voltage= yes

lol, last two settings are kinda hidden in the nabliosat image, had to scroll down to get to them even though there is no scroll bad on the right, still having the problem though, think it might actually be motor hardware, either motor needs to be zero'd or realigned. Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Hey

I have a DM800HD a while now and think it's absolutely fantastic. The images have become more and more stable over the past few months and I would highly recommend you get the latest Nabilosat image (second stage image) to use with the 800.
    I had to make up a USB powered fan though (see pic attached) from an old CPU just to keep the unit from overheating. It used to overheat an awful lot and HD channels just crashed randomly because of this.
    Maybe newer models have fixed this overheating problem but for me anyway I had to continue using the fan.

Had no problems using it with my motorised setup, all worked perfect.

Have moved house though recently and can't install a dish where I am so the dreambox is just sitting there at the moment unused :(

Doesn't the DM800 have an external power supply? I'm surprised it heats up so much then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 johnculloty

can you get premiership matches with the dreambox? do you have to pay a monthly fee or is it once off?

• Advertisement

Doesn't the DM800 have an external power supply? I'm surprised it heats up so much then.

The chip when decoding HD can get very hot.

can you get premiership matches with the dreambox? do you have to pay a monthly fee or is it once off?

You can get anything with a dreambox as long as you have offical cards or have good linux skills :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

What speed net connection would I need should I have these skills.

How much did you box cost and where did you get .

Was wondering if that would be picked up on... Careful peeps talking about stealing TV here....

IBL :-)

Agree with M5 can not talk about some things in relation to this box. But they can be bought here amongst other places:

http://www.dreamboxshop.co.uk/?gclid=CNuRto3U7ZkCFRIgZwodBG3PRA

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdelahunty

I am going to get one though - seems like great value

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Agree with M5 can not talk about some things in relation to this box. But they can be bought here amongst other places:

http://www.dreamboxshop.co.uk/?gclid=CNuRto3U7ZkCFRIgZwodBG3PRA

Several clones on flea bay for well under a ton delivered. Seem to work just fine too! Make sure and check any images for the clone bomb though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Clones of the 500S/C/T are pretty good. They actually improved a design flaw.

The 800HD clone is not a good idea. Why you may ask ?

1. Clone bombs, images created by people who don't like clones and loading this image will brick your box.
    2. The quality of these clones are not up to scratch. Even the seller from china does not recommend you buy. This is advice given to resellers that I have read on other forums.
    3. Chinese law means that you can't send a fully assembled product made in China back into China. Problem.
    4. Support.

Google about the quality of clones before you buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

rom wrote: »

1. Clone bombs, images created by people who don't like clones and loading this image will brick your box.
    2. The quality of these clones are not up to scratch. Even the seller from china does not recommend you buy. This is advice given to resellers that I have read on other forums.
    3. Chinese law means that you can't send a fully assembled product made in China back into China. Problem.
    4. Support.

How do you tell a clone? I'm looking into getting a DM800 but I'm getting worried I might be landed with a dud.

Also anyone know if using a DM800 with a hidden sat type dish would work, i.e. a Sqish???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

rom wrote: »

4. Support.

Ill second this.

I have a few 500 clones and they work perfectly - if you get them off the right person (about 70-80 euro each iirc).

Advertisement