Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freddie Hubbard R.I.P.

• 30-12-2008 6:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but another legend has gone to the great gig in the sky.

From the BBC

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

A fine player indeed and a loss to the jazz world, RIP.

What are your favourite Hubbard album appearances?
    For me, perhaps Out To Lunch, Point of Departure, and Red Clay. Hubbard plays exceptionally on all of them. /EDIT The Shape of Jazz to Come, and Maiden Voyage aswell!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'd have to admit to not knowing a whole lot about Hubbard but I do have Out To Lunch.
    The only other recording I have of him is an appearance on Billy Joels album 52nd Street on the track Zanzibar, so I suppose my question to you is where would one start.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah, he's made some stellar albums: Hub-tones, Ready for Freddie - and he plays on such a variety of albums as a sideman, Ornette's Free Jazz, Shorter's Speak No Evil, Night at the Cookers! Yeah, terrible loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Daddio wrote: »
    Point of Departure, The Shape of Jazz to Come

??

Clearly I wasn't fully awake when I wrote that. :o

Fine albums that Hubbard might have played on though. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah, he's made some stellar albums: Hub-tones, Ready for Freddie - and he plays on such a variety of albums as a sideman, Ornette's Free Jazz, Shorter's Speak No Evil, Night at the Cookers! Yeah, terrible loss.
    Speak No Evil is amazing actually, a good one to get if you're new to Shorter or Hubbard. The version of Pensativa on Cookers is fantastic also.

Advertisement