Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NUIM...Law and Arts

• 30-12-2008 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Are the points going to rise or fall this year??? And to what.....(it’s only a guess) I think it’s going to be 490

Points for 2008: 475

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

You can never tell. Could rise above 500. Could fall below 300. Unlikely, but these things can happen.

If you want to study it, put it top of your CAO and do your best in the Leaving Cert.

If you get close, go through the rounds and see if the points drop a little.

Whatever you do, make sure you put down a second choice. If you don't get the points for your first choice, but you do for your second, you will be offered your second.

So, if your.....ify?....about the points you'll be getting, makes sense to fill out all 20 choices.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Considering the careers advisor in the institute of education (Mary Dorgan) is recommending it to anyone wanting to do law then it may rise (up demand).
    Plus Maynooth won college of the year and we seem to be getting publicity from bits of our campus randomly burning down and other bits being built. Were also known for our night life and as the only 'university town'...yeah i'd say demand might rise and so points.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭yekrab

firstly im a law student in ul, limerick. im not too sure about nuim. because if u look at the kings inn, which is the 4th level legal institution for trainee barristers, there is no mention whatsoever of the BCL from there as being recognied as a degree where such a student could continue to the kings inn or the law society of ireland, ie for solicitors. so if u dont believe me go to the kings inn website, prospective students, and finally schedule of approved degrees, nuim is nowhere to be seen. secondly why go there, the best law school are in this order.

1 = trinity TCD
    2= UCD
    3 = UCC
    4= Ul
    5 = NUIG

the rest arent simply at the same level, like i said i go to ul, its great, and the professors are top class at what they do, only thing which makes it lower on the list is some of the students level, simply not good enough unfortunately to make it. other bad aspects include the lacking law library when compared with trinity or the other top 3 on the list. UCD is top class as well, have to give credit where it is due, and it is well reflected by the fact that all the supreme courts judges today have come from UCD. UCC has a rich history the college is a million years old like the rest, very good. the bottom line is try to get to the highest on that list, even if u dont care, doesnt mean that the law firms wont. this is holy grail information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

yekrab wrote: »
    firstly im a law student in ul, limerick. im not too sure about nuim. because if u look at the kings inn, which is the 4th level legal institution for trainee barristers, there is no mention whatsoever of the BCL from there as being recognied as a degree where such a student could continue to the kings inn or the law society of ireland, ie for solicitors. so if u dont believe me go to the kings inn website, prospective students, and finally schedule of approved degrees, nuim is nowhere to be seen.

True
    secondly why go there, the best law school are in this order.

1 = trinity TCD
    2= UCD
    3 = UCC
    4= Ul
    5 = NUIG

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

firstly im a law student in ul, limerick. im not too sure about nuim. because if u look at the kings inn, which is the 4th level legal institution for trainee barristers, there is no mention whatsoever of the BCL from there as being recognied as a degree where such a student could continue to the kings inn or the law society of ireland, ie for solicitors. so if u dont believe me go to the kings inn website, prospective students, and finally schedule of approved degrees, nuim is nowhere to be seen. secondly why go there, the best law school are in this order.

1 = trinity TCD
    2= UCD
    3 = UCC
    4= Ul
    5 = NUIG

the rest arent simply at the same level, like i said i go to ul, its great, and the professors are top class at what they do, only thing which makes it lower on the list is some of the students level, simply not good enough unfortunately to make it. other bad aspects include the lacking law library when compared with trinity or the other top 3 on the list. UCD is top class as well, have to give credit where it is due, and it is well reflected by the fact that all the supreme courts judges today have come from UCD. UCC has a rich history the college is a million years old like the rest, very good. the bottom line is try to get to the highest on that list, even if u dont care, doesnt mean that the law firms wont. this is holy grail information.

NUIM accepted its first class of combined BCL students this year. The degree takes three years to complete. Given that it will be three years before Kings Inns are in a position to evaluate the standard of graduates, and two years for a full external review of the department and programme, I dont know where you are getting that from.

Incidentally, when a University such as Maynooth wishes to add a new academic department, they do so in phases, adding to both teaching staff and module choice as they go.

So, given the established fact that NUIM does not in fact have a full law degree, or department of law yet....what are you basing your above ranking/comments on? Which should explain your stated absence from Kings Inns' manifest. You know, since there aren't any graduates yet....

Seriously, why bother posting that? This nonsense is poison, third level education is supposed to breed educated cooperation. Why not offer some constructive help? Isnt that what we aim to put ourselves in a position to do through education?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Nicely done Efla. Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

1 = trinity TCD
    2= UCD
    3 = UCC
    4= Ul
    5 = NUIG

UL's law dept is certainly no way better to any of the NUI's, while it is certainly improving on itself in recent yrs, how can can you say NUIM is to be avoided when you cant even comment of the calibre of the students it is producing? and i was recently pointed out to the fact that Nuim commanded 475 points in its 1st yr, UL certainly didn attain anything like that in its 1st yr of offering law.

Advertisement