Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week '09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ULEnts

Hi All
    Keith from UL Ents here,
    Sorry you are so dissappointed with the line-up. Its kind of tough trying to balance the idea of not losing money and still putting on good acts so we do what we can.

The line up is

Monday
    Stables
    Fred & Christy Moore Tribute
    Thses were the two fastest selling gigs last year so we put the two of them together on one night. We reckon it will be a great gig.

Trinity Rooms
    DJ SASH! - going on the popularity of the Venga Boys we went with SASH we're building a 90's night around, its cheesy but its Rag Week so cheesy is allowed.

Tuesday
    Stables
    Hells Bells - Tuesday is always Tribute night in Rag Week and we decided that an ACDC tribute would be the way to go(they re the big gig of the summer) Hells Bells are the best ACDC tribute out there they even played at ****** last summer.

Wednesday
    Stables
    Derek Warfield and the Young Wolf Tones are not a tribute act. Derek Warfield is the original member of the Wolfe Tones and for the last three years has been operating with his own band. He plays all the Wolfe Tones standards and they play all the same venues that the Wolfe Tones played often attracting bigger audiences. Its the kind of act we havn't done in UL before and we think it will go down really well. They stormed the UCD Freshers ball back in September.

Thursday
    SU Courtyard
    The Rag Ball featuring
    The Blizzards
    Dirty Epics
    Vesta Varro
    The Fontanelles
    Arveene
    Headphone Disco
    More TBC

This is the highlight of the week..we're going with the big outdoor stage in the courtyard and with a Music Soc stage in the Stables courtyard. Arveene will be on the decks in the scholars and occasionally on the main stage while headphone disco will be in the Stables.

This is the Blizzards 4th time playing in UL since September 2006. The last time they played was Fresher Week where they played to a first year only audience, thats why we decided to bring them back because we think theres lot of people out there who want to see them.Dirty Epics are an amazing band who are on the verge of hitting it rally big check them out and the rest of the supports will be the best that Limerick has to offer.

We hop you have a great week , we're looking forward to it!!!
    See you there..

By the way if you really feel you havn't had any variety over the course of the year then drop into the office and tell us what we should be booking baring in mind that this academic year we have had gigs with
    Fred, Blizzards,Ham Sandwich, Vesta Varro, Delorentos,We should be dead, Lisa Hannigan, Damien Dempsey, Cathy Davey, Venga Boys, Dirty Sanchez. Next week we have Republic of Loose in week 3 we have Andrew Maxwell. The only bands that are obviously missing from the list are the Coronas and Fight like Apes, they aren't available for Rag Week and we're trying to sort out a date with them for the Summer Ball.

We would like to put on as wide and varied a range of gigs as possible but it doesn't always work that way. Last Rag Week for instance we did all the sure fire sellers for the first three nights the put on Messiah J an edgier act on the Thursday night result was 400 people at the gig and a big loss. Like i said earlier its a fine line between not losing money and putting on good acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

No matter what, people will always find something to give out about :D

Savage line-up for Rag week (even if there is one or two that we've seen before).
    Great job ents, roll on March 30th! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ULEnts wrote: »
    Arveene

wow a dj at last but what time is the stables and javas going to be open until?
    Fred, Blizzards,Ham Sandwich, Vesta Varro, Delorentos,We should be dead, Lisa Hannigan, Damien Dempsey, Cathy Davey, Venga Boys, Dirty Sanchez. Next week we have Republic of Loose in week 3 we have Andrew Maxwell.

there is not one dj or live electronic music performer in that list, not one. it dosnt even have to be an international name there is a wealth of talent in the csis department especially one or two of the lecturers who im sure would love a chance to play in front of the college. the only two international acts in the list are venga boys and dirty sanchez??? come on now. local talent is great but we are a small country we dont produce enough quality bands to keep people entertained year in year out on their own. there are thousands of touring international bands that would love a chance to play in ireland you just gotta scratch below the surface a little bit

Like i said earlier its a fine line between not losing money and putting on good acts.

maybe thats the reason having a company in charge is a bad idea??? im sure you work your ass off but if ents organised the gigs they could work to break even not to make a profit therefore giving them less pressure to pack out nights and more room for experimentation. im not 100% sure but as far as i know in trinity and ucd its the ents officer (elected position) who organises the gigs and its always a hotly contested position because of the opportunities and contacts it creates for the person when they are finished their term

and on a completely different note, will my totty that iv only used for one gig since september get me into everything over rag week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ah yea, i heard ye were trying to space out your cash alright this year, and tis a hard aul job to book good acts on a budget. Still i wouldnt mind losing the repition of acts. Delerentos, blizzards and fred have played there fair share of gigs around munster in the last 2 years. There popular and good bands but seeing some fresh blood would be great. Fight like apes and other bands along that line, Still thats just my opinion and tis easier said than done!!

this should be split i want my rag week thread back so there is some chance of further discussion over thecrap lineup

even though locs 30% is still around 25-29% too high he has calmed down a good bit which could lead to good discussion in another thread that is just for the problems of rag week and the college in general

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Thread split

To continue complaining about students and their hedonistic lifestyle choice go here

Alternatively, if you want to complain about this years RAG week line up, post on you crazy peeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote: »
    Thread split

To continue complaining about students and their hedonistic lifestyle choice go here

Alternatively, if you want to complain about this years RAG week line up, post on you crazy peeps.
    missed the post above yours :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any body know what time the doors open for the cutting implement pysicians on thursday for Mary I rag week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mymipage

9pm I think mars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sham_kennedy

What about some older, international or more metal/punk bands? There seems to be an extreme slant towards bands like the Blizzards, Fred etc and while I know that these guys have a huge following, there is also a huge market in UL for Punk and Metal bands. This is always a gap in the Rag Week festivities. I know bands like "Therapy?" (one of the bigger Punk bands in the UK and Ireland during the 90's) are mad for gigs, and the same goes for a lot of bands, even local bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

While I personally would love to see Therapy? play I don't think a large majority of the students would. The reason bands like The Blizzards and Fred play so often is because the majority of students like them and tickets will sell.

If you can get 200 students to go to Ents and ask for Therapy? or any punk/metal band then I'm sure they'd happily obilge but until then they're only going to book bands who they know will make a profit, which is logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

€20 for The Blizzards is fooking madness.

Thanks mymipage...

Sorry Peteee, forgot!:o

cson wrote: »
    20 euro!!!.....they can FOOOK right off if they think there getting that.

As for threapy?, personally i think THEY would get a good reaction as they were pretty well known. Other metal and punk bands wouldnt though...and this is coming from a metal head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

Blizzards are trash anyway, dunno why people seem to like them.

Feyy wrote: »
    Blizzards are trash anyway, dunno why people seem to like them.
    I dont, ive just managed to see em twice in ul already cause everyone else was going and its lways been good banter anyway.

Still back to the fact its 20 euro, what are they thinking. You could see a world class band for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cson wrote: »

It's not€20 for The Blizzards. It's €20 for Blizzards, Dirty Epics, Vesta Varro, Walter Mitty and The Realists, Baby Jenx, Arveene, Head Phone Disco, Music Soc and more minor bands to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As an aside - there's no problem naming the Saw Doctors. The boards.ie restriction is mentioning, promoting or commenting on MCD events or venues. Given that any time the Saw Doctors (see, I did it again) have come to UL it's been under the auspices of eightball/UL Ents as opposed to MCD, there's no issue with mentioning them or saying that they were good or old or whatever or that they should play UL more often or drive off a cliff or whatever your opinion of them is. If there was an issue, I'd pull every oblique reference to them as well. No issue.

Good to see Keith engaging here as well btw, always good to have feedback going both ways on the gigs on campus etc.

sceptre wrote: »
    As an aside - there's no problem naming the Saw Doctors. The boards.ie restriction is mentioning, promoting or commenting on MCD events or venues. Given that any time the Saw Doctors (see, I did it again) have come to UL it's been under the auspices of eightball/UL Ents as opposed to MCD, there's no issue with mentioning them or saying that they were good or old or whatever or that they should play UL more often or drive off a cliff or whatever your opinion of them is. If there was an issue, I'd pull every oblique reference to them as well. No issue.

Good to see Keith engaging here as well btw, always good to have feedback going both ways on the gigs on campus etc.

Yay! Saw Doctors tonight, Docs gig number 20 for me!!:D

It was a good gig last night, of the 20 Saw Docs gigs I have been to, that had to be the most annoying crowd ever! Still had a great time, those Mary I'ers are mad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mymipage

Hope Mary I's RAG Week went well - looked great from the pics online. LIT has just kicked off theirs. 2 Unlimited tomorrow night, can't wait :) You can win tickets to events everyday on the LIT RAG Week Website: www.litragweek.com if anyone hasn't bought tickets yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Zomg! check out www.impimpinglitragweekontheulforum.com for extra details and the chance to win some bitching scratchcards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

LIT people, you have your own board to talk about your Rag Week, it's here. You're more than welcome to talk about the UL rag week (an entirely different week in an entirely different college) here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 techtonic

they could do alot better than sash. It dosent cost much to run an international dj for a weekday gig. Sash will be ****. Alternative are in the process of being aranged for anyone interested in seeing some quality dj and they wont dissapoint

• Registered Users Posts: 21 roverm

Hope you all lookig forward to it, but just wondering does anyone else feel that the line up every year is prity pathetic :confused:, and that you dont have any other choice than drink at home and go to clubs instead of joining in on these college festivities :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

So what would you suggest as an alternative line-up? No point in criticising if you can't provide suggestions.

If people wanted the likes of oh, I dunno, Snow Patrol at Rag Week the price of the tickets would reflect the cost to get them in. So if you don't mind forking out €120 to see one band play the Stables, fine, but that's all you'd get and charities wouldn't benefit as much. Believe it or not, Rag week is for charity fundraising, not a mid-semester holiday. (My 2c anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 roverm

klong wrote: »
    So what would you suggest as an alternative line-up? No point in criticising if you can't provide suggestions.

If people wanted the likes of oh, I dunno, Snow Patrol at Rag Week the price of the tickets would reflect the cost to get them in. So if you don't mind forking out €120 to see one band play the Stables, fine, but that's all you'd get and charities wouldn't benefit as much. Believe it or not, Rag week is for charity fundraising, not a mid-semester holiday. (My 2c anyway)

a but in fairness, iv been here 3 years and i dont no how many times the blizzards have played here, gets a bit boring. all that seems to happen here is tribute bands and people not worth going see. i no its for charity but its meant to be a good time as well. id more than happily pay a few extra bob to charity to see a better gig

Ive been here two years and i can say the same thing about the blizzards, not to mention the amount of times iv seen em in other colleges around the country.

The christy moore tributes played quite a few times here aswell id say, hells bells are actually worth the time and cash though. There the closest thing to acdc without being acdc you can get!

I wouldnt mind seeing bands such as rest, ten past seven, future kings of spain, windigs, i will eat your face, jung turks, fight like apes, and djs like luke creed etc. Theres a lot of up and coming irish talent out there. Also wouldnt mind the likes of delorentos back again but afaik there split now?

klong wrote: »

have two irish 'headliners' supported each night by two different international non top40 bands that have been researched over time and market them heavily in advance around the college. bands like that would kill for that sort of publicity in ireland

OR have the two irish headliners on one night supporting eachother and get 2 unknown international and 2 unknown local bands to play on the other night.

make peace with trinity rooms or if that is totally out of the question due to egos on either side have talks with icon or sin bin and have INTERNATIONAL djs / dance acts and venga boys / scooter do not count as they are famous for the cheese factor not the music.

have one night with an international dj playing dance music in one room with the very talented djs and lecturers supporting them(they will play for free nice creamy profit for the charities) one nightand a national radio dj(a spin dj or whatever people lap up that ****) another night.

so thats 4 nights of variety taken care of whcih leaves friday aka international night were you can get really messed up with who you bring in.

fill the days with some drinking games(if i remember form last year they do the days pretty well and now the alcohol policy is gone they should be even better) stupid competitions and races, maybe a bungee jump and you have yourself a fine rag week.

also any night were the festivities end on campus at 10.30 or 11.00 there should be at least one follow on night arranged by ul in town. students shouldnt be left to wander around wondering how much they are going to have to pay into mollys or icon and how much the drinks are gonna cost, this should all be arranged and advertised

and before you say it if ents officer was an elected sabat position on the su yes i would run for it but its not as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

well theres plenty tickets left for everything as of the other day anyway...that say it all really... and you cant blame the recession! Iv been a diehard xmas daze and rag week fan for the last 3 years and have queued for tickets each time but no one cares this year...i know the ents and the su put in sooo much effort and we cant expect snow patrol as was mentioned but seriously its the same ol ding dong! im a 4th year and id have a fairly large circle of friends who would always have got tickets but not one person has this year...housepartys are going to be everywhere and they will unfortunately get too messy in a lot of instances.

Advertisement