Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week '09

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

5uspect wrote: »
    Probably biggest issue was the mess left after the raft race as well as the car and assulats in College Court, and personally the general rubbish.
    (Why oh why can't people pick up their ****?)
    The SU promised that this year would be different and unfortunately a few students went too far. Certainly the alcohol element may be in the firing line.

I'd agree that the mess left after RAG week was a disgrace. Broken glass everywhere, and rubbish to the high heavens.
    Apparantly it was a regeneration family's car that they wrecked who according to a guard i know that works in the area, they will not take this one lying down and the students may have met their match. Anyone who knows the particular area where it happened will know that its predominantly 4th years that live there and i dont mean to be spreading rumours here but im sure people will have heard names being dropped into the equation of a group of 4th business guys from limk that dont live in the estate and actually live at home with their parents.

Anyway whoever it was should be punished SEVERELY...i love a laugh and rag wk but this isolated incident was a disgrace.

I dont think that retribution is the way to go, and tbh I dont really care either. Whatever fools thought it was funny to overturn a car should have known better. Regardless of who owned the car, it shouldne have happened.
    Blaming people who dont live there and live it at home means feck all to me. The fact is, that if they did it, they were obviously friends with people who do live in CC.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    The car incident was WAAAAY out of order, but I've been told the Gardaí are confident of solving the issue. It is a matter for the Gardaí, not the entire student body FFS.

It could have happened any random night, but because it was RAG week on campus, it gets blamed even though RAG Week wasn't taking place in College Court.

Too right Ninty9er...RAG week doesnt happen in CC, its a UL based idea, with the results going to charity. a % of the student body may live in CC, but let the Gardai deal with any difficulties that arise there. Dont let it affect all UL students.
    sibh1 wrote: »
    I agree with all of the above apart from the car incident... I lived on that street in college court for three years, and it is way worse during rag week.. I know some of the people still living there, not exactly friends of mine but that take rag week to mean literally going mental for the week... im not convinved that the car would have been overturned on a normal night...

The only solution to this is to find the trouble makers and discipline them accordingly.. that way they will be made an example of and RAG week can continue with its main purpose in tact.. to raise money for charity

I'm sorry, but how much worse is it during RAG week?
    Why is it so much worse?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

From what I've heard only about 10% (or some other small percentage) of people generally show up for class during Rag week.

For what its worth, when I was in UL we'd generally try to go to lectures in Rag week. The lecturers seemed to appreciate the fact that you made the effort to come in when most of your class didn't, even if you were hungover and swilling down Lucozade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Peteee wrote: »
    For what its worth, when I was in UL we'd generally try to go to lectures in Rag week. The lecturers seemed to appreciate the fact that you made the effort to come in when most of your class didn't, even if you were hungover and swilling down Lucozade.

+1.

Yes, I've tried my best to attend all lectures during previous rag weeks. I remember some lecturers rewarding students who attended rag week lectures with sample exam questions similar to the type coming up on teh end of term exam. Of course, all the students who were off their face at the time up in the Stables or wherever just got the questrions from someone who was there. Some lecturers cancelled all classes.

I remember in Industrial Relations (snore!) during rag week last year, out of a class of over 400 (Business plus a few other courses), a grand total of 14 turned up for the lecture in teh concert hall. You could hear the wind whistling through the hall and the see the tumbleweed rolling by...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

1wildwolf wrote: »
    Hey all...I'm an out of towner (out of country even) so I'm not trying to stir %&*$ or anything, but I was just curious about RAG week and class attendance.

From what I've heard only about 10% (or some other small percentage) of people generally show up for class during Rag week. I would think that the university might not be too happy about this (especially with the current economic climate and discussions about courses being subsidised/charged). And it being a bit of a bugger for the tutors/lecturers who show up or try to organise the classes.

Could this be another reason why they are trying to get rid of it? Has it ever been held during one of the holiday weeks? Or would this just kill it completely because too many people would have gone home?
    Nope, some tutors cancelled class due to their own hangovers last week. It's a low attendance week, but not so much that it would cause classes to be stopped.

Between elections, Paddy's Day and Clubs and Socs Ball I missed 2 entire weeks of college so HAD to attend some classes during RAG week.
    Rineanna wrote: »
    +1.

Yes, I've tried my best to attend all lectures during previous rag weeks. I remember some lecturers rewarding students who attended rag week lectures with sample exam questions similar to the type coming up on teh end of term exam. Of course, all the students who were off their face at the time up in the Stables or wherever just got the questrions from someone who was there. Some lecturers cancelled all classes.

I remember in Industrial Relations (snore!) during rag week last year, out of a class of over 400 (Business plus a few other courses), a grand total of 14 turned up for the lecture in teh concert hall. You could hear the wind whistling through the hall and the see the tumbleweed rolling by...

They Really appreciate it and we got some good tips last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sibh1

Mossin wrote: »

'm sorry, but how much worse is it during RAG week?
    Why is it so much worse?

Im not contesting what you say about the guards, I completely agree that they should be the ones to discipline those that over turned the car..

but that area is a lot worse during rag week.. there was more break ins than normal, and the rubbish situation was far worse from people sitting in their gardens and drinking there...

Im not sayign stop rag week, to the absolute contrary.. I want to see it improved on, I think it is a fantastic resource to raise money for charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/zero-tolerance-urged-after-students-lose-rag-1700741.html

'Zero tolerance' urged after students lose rag
    By Barry Duggan

Tuesday April 07 2009

THE annual rag week at one of the country's largest universities is under threat after a spate of anti-social behaviour by a small number of students.

Prof Don Barry, president of the University of Limerick (UL), condemned the inexcusable actions of a "minority" of students who have brought the student body into "disrepute".

Twenty students were arrested by gardai in Limerick over the weekend and last week. The majority of these arrests were for public order offences. There are over 10,000 students attending the university in the Castletroy suburb of Limerick.

A review of UL's annual rag week, where students raise money for charities, is under way after a number of incidents and complaints from residents living near the campus.

In the College Court estate of Castletroy, a car was overturned, a tree uprooted and windows smashed last week.

One resident wrote to UL authorities calling for "zero tolerance" after a rock was thrown through his baby daughter's bedroom window.

Pending the review, Mr Barry said he is "deeply troubled" by the incidents and pointed out that the university may reconsider its position on the week.

He added that "the facilitation of rag week activities by the university will be reconsidered as part of this review".

"I want to put on record my condemnation of these incidents and to express regret to all those who have been negatively affected by them," Mr Barry said.

Review

A comprehensive review of rag week activities has commenced in consultation with UL, the Students' Union, gardai and local residents.

President of UL Students' Union Pa O'Brien said he regretted that the message of the week had "been lost on some people".

Milford Hospice, Limerick Red Cross, Limerick Mental Health Association and St Gabriel's School and Centre were selected as the beneficiaries of this year's rag week, which has raised at least €8,000 for the four groups.

- Barry Duggan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Made the letters page in the Irish Times too: http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/

Fun and games had by all it appears, meh like I've said before there's idiots everywhere unfortunately. It appears at least some good game out of the week with the amount of money raised for the selected charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You may notice a similarity with this article, which was published first (there wasn't a press release or an official statement issued on behalf of UL so I feel safe in assuming that the more recent article is, erm, merely paying tribute to the other).

Anyhoo, side issue. Terror and destruction are bad things. While I'm not directly denigrating the person who wrote the phrase in the Independent letter, I doubt she's ever been to a war zone. Ditto with the person who compared College Court to Afghanistan last week. Comments like that make the person who says them look silly and the paper that prints them look sillier. Then again, it's all about the benjamins - shift copies, cause a storm, make your name. Not quite as bad as the Paula Murray affair but it's the same game, just in a lower division.

Some people really acted the idiot last week. And they deserve to get a slapping for it. If the offences are serious enough, I don't have a problem with criminal charges or expulsion and I don't think anyone should see a problem with either. But adding on an extra 13 to the figure for people getting arrested over the weekend (the weekend of the Munster-Leinster game), after the week was over is just bad reporting. It's figure inflation to make your story seem more important. And that's also just buffoonery. I'll be blunt though. I blame the Irish Independent editor. There's a reason I call it "our tawdry little rag".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

€8,000 isn't much though is it? Less than €1 per student...pretty bad when you think of how much the average student spent on the week overall

Funkstard wrote: »
    €8,000 isn't much though is it? Less than €1 per student...pretty bad when you think of how much the average student spent on the week overall
    Yeah. That figure's wrong too. I got a higher figure when I phoned the SU yesterday to ask and the final figure will probably be higher than the one I got as it doesn't take account of everything. Might be a few weeks till the final number is available but the amount in the article is less than half of the actual amount so far.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    Yeah. That figure's wrong too. I got a higher figure when I phoned the SU yesterday to ask and the final figure will probably be higher than the one I got as it doesn't take account of everything. Might be a few weeks till the final number is available but the amount in the article is less than half of the actual amount so far.

It was €15,000 last year wasn't it? Even taking into account of that being around the final figure, it still isn't much per student to donate.

If the RAG element of rag week were to be highlighted and pushed more next year, could that a way of helping the college heads think more favourably on next year's activities? For instance, organising a drive for students to donate €5 over the week would potentially bring in over €50,000 and whatever else happens, that would be a massive positive and selling point for the week.

Incidentally, RAG as "raising and giving" is a backronym. The term Rag for an event was used for 150 years before some bright spark in the UK in the 90s pretended it stood for "Raising and giving" to get some cash from a corporate sponsor. Ne'e'rtheless, people persist in using it that way so I guess we can all let them

Incidentally, RAG as "raising and giving" is a backronym. The term Rag for an event was used for 150 years before some bright spark in the UK in the 90s pretended it stood for "Raising and giving" to get some cash from a corporate sponsor. Ne'e'rtheless, people persist in using it that way so I guess we can all let them

Well..thanks for the history lesson. Don't think it has any relevance here whatsoever though. The fact that RAG week raises money for charities is the only reason it still continues I would guess. Why not use and highlight that for the positive outcome of (nearly) everyone?

Funkstard wrote: »
    Well..thanks for the history lesson.
    You're welcome. I've seen the odd discussion start with the "it stands for Raising and Giving and therefore..." Hence the comment, it was meant to be a footnote to an actual post but I just didn't bother making the post.
    The fact that RAG week raises money for charities is the only reason it still continues I would guess.
    Sort of. There were years where Rag week gave not a bean to charity as it made a loss. It still continued after. I suspect for two reasons. Firstly, it tends to be expected anyway and if the SU don't run one someone else will (there are a line of nightclubs that pretty much line up to run rag week events that have nothing to do with contributing money to charity in any form as well as students happy to independently deem a particular week to be "official drinking week" with no control over their drinking whatever). Secondly in those lean years I'm sure the hope was always there that it would actually make money the following year.

These days, the charity money is the single biggest defence of the week that rag week organisers anywhere here or in the UK have to let the week continue. That and the "if we don't, someone else will and there won't be any control at all, money for charity or consideration of anything or anyone" argument, which in my view is also pretty strong.

Obviously the primary focus is for charity, at least at the organisational level. Many or most students consider that a good think, at least that's what I'd hope. Some don't care. That's life. Some don't go to any rag week events at all. Some of them completely ignore the week and just get on with whatever other things they do. That's close enough to me, though due to the nature of what I do to feed myself, I was rather aware that Rag week was going on.
    Why not use and highlight that for the positive outcome of (nearly) everyone?
    Optimist that I am, I'd like to think that's what people are trying to do.

I take your point on the fifty grand. It'd be nice - 10,000 students, fiver each, bob's your uncle. Looks good, far more defensible and most importantly it raises more for charity. I firmly like the idea of a fiver per student target and it might really work well if it was marketed that way.

The little downside is that some students put in more than that (ask any of the bucket collectors who were really surprised when some people were putting notes into their buckets) and that setting a personal target might cause them to put in less. And there aren't 10,000 students on campus at once with co-op and not all of the remainder bothers with rag week. But I think these are small things.

Seriously, it's a cool idea, I think the advantage of it might easily outweigh the disadvantage and I think it's definitely worth a try. I'd like to see something akin to a daily highlighted running total myself (bearing in mind that profits from event ticket sales can only be worked out later) because people like that kind of thing, gives them self-affirmation and fuzzy warmth and all that (and may work towards getting people more involved in the notion that it's primarily or officially for charity that the week is run)

It was 16 grand last year by the way, split evenly between the four charities. 15's close enough though. And by the strong looks of things it'll be over that this year, from what I've been told.

I'm not the biggest fan of the recent public and private calls for cancellation from various people. And that's not just because I live in the middle of Limerick and see typical excesses akin to rag week a few nights a week and the equivalent of the worst excesses of any rag week about once a month. It's because, even though I'm a fluffy fuzzy liberal, I reckon some element of control is necessary and a reasonable level of safety is paramount. Ban it from campus and nobody's in control of any of it. Some of it would move into town, ranted but a lot of it would stay in Castletroy and earlier in the evening than people are used to. Sure, the off-licenses would have a field day, not that they're doing badly at the moment but the thought of an amount of students equivalent to a small rock festival having house parties all week should be the kind of thing that would make the most ardent anti-student resident consider that having the thing around the campus is actually a good thing.

None of this deals with the problem of someone who's come down in the morning to find their car overturned or window broken of course. For someone in that situation, it doesn't matter whether the week raises ten bob or a million. Noise and public urination, fine, slap on the wrist or a public order fine for being stupid and not caring about others. Actual damage to property, in particular private property, nice sharp sanction, same as anyone else could and should get. And more importantly for people to know that if they do X, Y or Z, it'll cost them. And cost them more than just replacing a window.

(I'm totally aware by the way that I'm partly replying to your post and partly just talking at the ether in general (which means I've probably missed something important in your post), sorry about that)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sibh1

You're welcome. I've seen the odd discussion start with the "it stands for Raising and Giving and therefore..." Hence the comment, it was meant to be a footnote to an actual post but I just didn't bother making the post.

Sort of. There were years where Rag week gave not a bean to charity as it made a loss. It still continued after. I suspect for two reasons. Firstly, it tends to be expected anyway and if the SU don't run one someone else will (there are a line of nightclubs that pretty much line up to run rag week events that have nothing to do with contributing money to charity in any form as well as students happy to independently deem a particular week to be "official drinking week" with no control over their drinking whatever). Secondly in those lean years I'm sure the hope was always there that it would actually make money the following year.

These days, the charity money is the single biggest defence of the week that rag week organisers anywhere here or in the UK have to let the week continue. That and the "if we don't, someone else will and there won't be any control at all, money for charity or consideration of anything or anyone" argument, which in my view is also pretty strong.

Obviously the primary focus is for charity, at least at the organisational level. Many or most students consider that a good think, at least that's what I'd hope. Some don't care. That's life. Some don't go to any rag week events at all. Some of them completely ignore the week and just get on with whatever other things they do. That's close enough to me, though due to the nature of what I do to feed myself, I was rather aware that Rag week was going on.

Optimist that I am, I'd like to think that's what people are trying to do.

I take your point on the fifty grand. It'd be nice - 10,000 students, fiver each, bob's your uncle. Looks good, far more defensible and most importantly it raises more for charity. I firmly like the idea of a fiver per student target and it might really work well if it was marketed that way.

The little downside is that some students put in more than that (ask any of the bucket collectors who were really surprised when some people were putting notes into their buckets) and that setting a personal target might cause them to put in less. And there aren't 10,000 students on campus at once with co-op and not all of the remainder bothers with rag week. But I think these are small things.

Seriously, it's a cool idea, I think the advantage of it might easily outweigh the disadvantage and I think it's definitely worth a try. I'd like to see something akin to a daily highlighted running total myself (bearing in mind that profits from event ticket sales can only be worked out later) because people like that kind of thing, gives them self-affirmation and fuzzy warmth and all that (and may work towards getting people more involved in the notion that it's primarily or officially for charity that the week is run)

It was 16 grand last year by the way, split evenly between the four charities. 15's close enough though. And by the strong looks of things it'll be over that this year, from what I've been told.

I'm not the biggest fan of the recent public and private calls for cancellation from various people. And that's not just because I live in the middle of Limerick and see typical excesses akin to rag week a few nights a week and the equivalent of the worst excesses of any rag week about once a month. It's because, even though I'm a fluffy fuzzy liberal, I reckon some element of control is necessary and a reasonable level of safety is paramount. Ban it from campus and nobody's in control of any of it. Some of it would move into town, ranted but a lot of it would stay in Castletroy and earlier in the evening than people are used to. Sure, the off-licenses would have a field day, not that they're doing badly at the moment but the thought of an amount of students equivalent to a small rock festival having house parties all week should be the kind of thing that would make the most ardent anti-student resident consider that having the thing around the campus is actually a good thing.

None of this deals with the problem of someone who's come down in the morning to find their car overturned or window broken of course. For someone in that situation, it doesn't matter whether the week raises ten bob or a million. Noise and public urination, fine, slap on the wrist or a public order fine for being stupid and not caring about others. Actual damage to property, in particular private property, nice sharp sanction, same as anyone else could and should get. And more importantly for people to know that if they do X, Y or Z, it'll cost them. And cost them more than just replacing a window.

(I'm totally aware by the way that I'm partly replying to your post and partly just talking at the ether in general (which means I've probably missed something important in your post), sorry about that)

I agree 100% with everything you said here.

I think there's two ways to look at that. Some of the students who put in notes or large sums into the buckets either genuinely wanted to donate that amount, or else some wanted to simply outdo other people. I don't think they'll put in less if the general consensus is to give a fiver. Some might put in more. The people who want to give will give regardless of what others are doing. Bit of a pessimistic argument, but potentially valid nonetheless.

That could be a good idea. A screen (inflatable cinema?) that shows the current tally (that is actually tallied, estimated or guesstimated..doesn't really matter that much) throughout the day. Generate an atmosphere of everyone trying to reach a predetermined amount that the tally gets closer and closer to each day. Would be a great focal point, and give an excuse to the volunteers to badger people again ("Come on! It's only €1 each and we reach the target!" etc.)

Very glad to hear. Especially upon hearing that national newspapers have printed the final amount raised as €8,000

Another point for the 'keeping rag week' list. Students drink on campus more out of interest and convenience than anything else. Beer can be bought, you meet your friends there, there's open spaces to congregate and there's lots on to keep us entertained. If rag week is cancelled the same levels of drinking/sessions will go on, just off campus in an uncontrolled environment.

Of course not. That behaviour is inexcusable and no one is going to argue otherwise. Everyone knew the gardaí were handing out fines earlier in the week. Whilst I don't agree with students being fined for drinking on the grass on campus, the presence was known and I think students were a bit more cautious because of it.

That car wasn't turned over in a few seconds. It had to have taken a while. A garda car driving by would have caught the culprits red handed. Perhaps an increased garda presence in the evenings (and students knowing about it) would be a good deterrent from acting the bollock-ness?

Advertisement