Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion?

Options
  • 30-12-2008 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone tell me if an immersion heater is not working will it always trip the fuse in fuseboard. Problem is Horstmann E7 timer with a boost and timer function. The boost is working ok and heats the top element. However the bottom element dosent heat up. I moved clock around until it was live and checked element there was 230 volts at it. However when its moved back to proper time it wont heat water at night. Could the element be gone but still be 230 volts at it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No it won't always trip the breaker.

If you measured 230V on it and it didn't heat then it's faulty. A better way would be to measure the current if any being drawn.

If you wanted, you could re-wire the main element feed to the boost / sink element terminal as well, it wouldn't heat the full tank but at least you'd have some hot water till you get a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Could the element be gone but still be 230 volts at it?

Yes. If there is 230 volts at it and it is not heating either:
    a) The stat is faulty - Test and see if you have power after the stat. Often stats can be replaced.
    b) The element is blown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks. The manual reset button u see on some stats. If this popped out I know the can be reset and it will work again be pushing them in again but is there a reason this happens. Is it the sign of an underlying fault or should the stat be replaced as soon as the manual reset button goes.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

There have been problems with back boilers heating up the cylinder and activating the cut-out.if the back boiler is önly heating the cylinder afaik its not possible to shut it off with a cylinder stat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lenguy

My immersion is controlled by a switch inside the hotpress, however I've just noticed that my phase tester is activating (from the live cable) now matter what setting the switch is at, yet the water is not heating. There is no noise or vibration coming from the immersion, nor does it heat up. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? If the element is gone, how do you set about replacing it?

Advertisement