Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fender Jaguar Query

• 30-12-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Need a little help here, I'm finally getting around to buying a jag after lusting after them for years. Problem is I'm torn between the below two and need some advice - basically I like a mixture of tones from heavy foot-stomping distortion to delicate shimmering delay/reverb post-rock-esque sounds - a diverse mix of heavy/clean/fx pedals. A mixture of S. Pumpkins meets The Cure meets Explosions In The Sky kinda thing for want of a better description. :)

Anyway I'm torn between the single-coil Fender Jag Japanese 62 Reissue and the double humbucker Classic Player Jaguar Special HH (approx 130 euros more expensive than the former) - I can't really find any solid advice on the net as people are pointing out pros and cons of both but there's nothing convincing being said to swing in favour of either.

If anyone has any experience, advice or general info I'd greatly appreciate it, cheers for listening

JC ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I think single coils are going to work better at what you described,especially at the reverby textural stuff,and you'll get a plenty heavy distortion with the right pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Cheers punchdrunk for your response,

The only thing I'm concerned about is the lack of sustain with single-coils, I do like heavily distorted finger-niggling riffs/drop-D/power-chord punching also - hmmm.... I'm still uncertain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Wow am I from the wrong planet,
    I thought you were looking for a bumper for a car!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Heh!
    Tbh i'd be going for single coils too, seems to fit the bill, and it's not like it'll play like a banjo, you'll still get a lot of sustain out of her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

If you're going to be using lots of fuzz like you kinda described, you'll have plenty of sustain (I play a Jazzmaster, when I turn my RAT all the way up, I can sustain a note for years). Pickups won't affect your sustain that much, will they?

From your description of the stuff you want to play, I'm guessing you're a bit of a shoegazer? Single coils!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

OP you can have it all by getting the HH model and putting in a coil splitting switch. You can replace the standard volume control with one with a push/pull switch built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

If you're getting a Jaguar you've got to get singlecoils.. that's what the Jag tone is all about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hi,

Need a little help here, I'm finally getting around to buying a jag after lusting after them for years. Problem is I'm torn between the below two and need some advice - basically I like a mixture of tones from heavy foot-stomping distortion to delicate shimmering delay/reverb post-rock-esque sounds - a diverse mix of heavy/clean/fx pedals. A mixture of S. Pumpkins meets The Cure meets Explosions In The Sky kinda thing for want of a better description. :)

Anyway I'm torn between the single-coil Fender Jag Japanese 62 Reissue and the double humbucker Classic Player Jaguar Special HH (approx 130 euros more expensive than the former) - I can't really find any solid advice on the net as people are pointing out pros and cons of both but there's nothing convincing being said to swing in favour of either.

If anyone has any experience, advice or general info I'd greatly appreciate it, cheers for listening

JC ;)
    Singlecoils are definitely what a jags about. If you get a jaguar with two humbuckers, you're buying a fancy SG with less bass.

What guitars do you have at the moment? Could any of them cover some of the sounds you're looking for?. A jag is not going to able to cover Cure to Pumpkins to Explosions without modding.The Cure sound is more about singlecoil cleans, Explosions is distorted singlecoils (i think?) and Pumpkins is 'buckers with lots of fuzz.

You could get the reissue jag and replace the bridge pickup with a red lace sensor, or even a Blue-Gold dual lace sensor. You'd lose some of the surf quality of the jaguar bridge-position, but it'd cover more or less everything you're looking for.

But why get an SS config when you can have both by getting a HH and splitting the coils with a push/pull switch?

But why get an SS config when you can have both by getting a HH and splitting the coils with a push/pull switch?
    1. Because the singlecoil version has 3 pickups, SSS , which means 3 more positions!.
    2. Because split-coil humbuckers dont sound like single coils, they sound like split 'buckers.
    3. Because i dont think the HH version has all the important switching systems of the original
    4. Because i dont think the OP needs a 'bucker in the neck position. A single in the neck would be more useful

Sorry for the rant :o.

• Advertisement

1. Because the singlecoil version has 3 pickups, SSS , which means 3 more positions!.
    2. Because split-coil humbuckers dont sound like single coils, they sound like split 'buckers.
    3. Because i dont think the HH version has all the important switching systems of the original
    4. Because i dont think the OP needs a 'bucker in the neck position. A single in the neck would be more useful

Sorry for the rant :o.

But I thought the standard Jaguar was SS, like this:

Fender%20Jaguar%20Body.jpg

62 model:
    1962_Fender_Jaguar_FR.jpg

Are you sure you don't have strats on the the brain? I know they're the first thing I think of when I hear the word 'Fender'!

As for split humbuckers, well, all I can say is that they sound like singlecoils to me! How could they sound not like single coils if their only using one coil?

Ack!!.Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the fender IV.

fender_vi_61.jpg

I have no idea why but....eh :).

So ignore the first three points of my last post, but i still think a HH jaguar would be a step in the wrong direction. If he wants any jag tone, he's going to need at least one single coil imo.

Ack!!.Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the fender IV.

fender_vi_61.jpg

I have no idea why but....eh :).

So ignore the first three points of my last post, but i still think a HH jaguar would be a step in the wrong direction. If he wants any jag tone, he's going to need at least one single coil imo.

Maybe you're right. I know singlecoil sized humbuckers don't sound exactly like full sized ones, so maybe split humbuckers don't sound quite the same as real single coils. Hell, having the other magnet right next to it must make some sort of difference.

Still though, I'd be willing to bet around €27 that only a fully trained scientitian could tell the difference. Like this one:

scientist.jpg

This is really getting down to the nitty gritty... Would you really mind not being able to get the EXACT guitar tones of The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, and Explosions in the Sky? I don't think it would make that much of a difference which pickups you go for. If you like the guitar, you'll make it sound good. So get the one you like most!

"Classic" Jaguar sound = single coils, anything else is just speculation on what certain combinations and whatnot *could* sound like, imho.

Apols peops - was AFK for awhile there, cheers for the posts

Im hearing you about the single coils and no I don't want to specifically emulate the sounds of the groups mentioned, was just offering an insight into the variations of music that I like and the respective sounds that I appreciate. With the Jag special HH theres an option to switch the "humburgers" to a solitary single coil by way of a toggle-switch, personally I thought that would lend some diversity to the instrument ie the humbucker would give a kick when I wanted a meaty, thick distortion - the single coil offering some sprite when I wanted some ambience. Am I mislead in this theory?

Its my first real 'premier league' guitar to consider purchasing you might say, all my other axes were cheap copy strats - I love the strat sound but I like a bit of depth when chugging on a power chord also. Plus the Jag SP HH has a kill switch which would be a nifty addition to my 'guitar tricksy' arsenal a la RATM.

I know Cobain often used a humbuckered Jag playing live and that tone he got was great to my ears at least. So.. It swings in fav of the special HH but am still open to theories as its not in stock until the 12th of this month... keep them coming gents & lasses, I want to be buried with this baby so I need to make the correct choice! :)

Apols peops - was AFK for awhile there, cheers for the posts

Im hearing you about the single coils and no I don't want to specifically emulate the sounds of the groups mentioned, was just offering an insight into the variations of music that I like and the respective sounds that I appreciate. With the Jag special HH theres an option to switch the "humburgers" to a solitary single coil by way of a toggle-switch, personally I thought that would lend some diversity to the instrument ie the humbucker would give a kick when I wanted a meaty, thick distortion - the single coil offering some sprite when I wanted some ambience. Am I mislead in this theory?

Its my first real 'premier league' guitar to consider purchasing you might say, all my other axes were cheap copy strats - I love the strat sound but I like a bit of depth when chugging on a power chord also. Plus the Jag SP HH has a kill switch which would be a nifty addition to my 'guitar tricksy' arsenal a la RATM.

I know Cobain often used a humbuckered Jag playing live and that tone he got was great to my ears at least. So.. It swings in fav of the special HH but am still open to theories as its not in stock until the 12th of this month... keep them coming gents & lasses, I want to be buried with this baby so I need to make the correct choice! :)
    Sounds to me like you're set on the HH ;).

If your thinking about chugging, and nirvana, then you're probably better off with the HH. You can split the humbuckers, but it wont sound like a proper single coil. Split humbuckers usually sound like cheap singles, but they do sound like single coils none the less.

If you like the HH that much,then go for it!!.If you change your mind in the future, you can always change the pickups, but for what you're looking for, it'll probably be fine right out of the box :).

If you like the HH that much,then go for it!!

+1! You're sorted :)

Apols folks, I guess I must have oestrogen running through my veins... After checking out some reviews that I finally found I have decided to scrap the humbucker idea - think am gonna go with the Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special ("special design hot jaguar pickups" - which are supposedly brighter than the traditional jag sound)

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_classic_player_jaguar_special.htm

Any last nay-sayers comments before I take the plunge... going once..?

Thanks again

Jay-C

Any last nay-sayers comments before I take the plunge... going once..

:D

Man there's whole range of different humbuckers out there that could be split. With the SS config you wouldn't have the same versatility. You could find yourself hitting the Cobain-fuzz and finding your axe has a sore throat. :pac: If it's the Nirvana sound you want, you'll need a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Reviews give the wrong impression sometimes. There are some people who criticise things too harshly because it didn't make them sound like their favourite player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

get a jazzmaster instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

Hi there,

I've got a jag. When I first got it with the single coils it was very jangly and thats fair enough but when I would kick on the distortion it just didn't have that ooomph factor! Sooooo I took out the bridge pickup and replaced it with a Seymour Duncan SJAG-3 Quarter Pound Jaguar and haven't looked back since.
    This pickup is like having a humbucker but fits nicely coz its single coil size. Its adds a lot of "beef" forgive the pun, but seriously the tone is way heavier with lots a bass.
    So with this setup you can switch between the nice jangly single coil sound but also have the more heavier tone option too.

Also with the jag hh,while they've gotten rid of those stupid string saddles for a more Mustang type they have also taken out the floating tremolo system which is what makes Jags unique. This is essential for shoegazing!!!

Or you could just do what that other guy said and get a Jazzmaster! ;)

Best of luck with your decision :)

freshcream wrote: »
    get a jazzmaster instead

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I bought the HH, purely because i loved the look of it and wanted a jag for years.
    The sustain on it's great and I'm very happy with the sounds you can get. Might have to agree with the SG without the bass comment. I've one of them as well. I love humbuckers though for that full-on distortion sound you get with them.

Er, are we mixing up the Classic Player Jaguar
    624%20Fender%20Jaguar%20Classic%20Player%20Special%20HH%20SBSubCat.jpg

with the Jaguar HH?
    229117.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Morning Hush

I have owned both and my personal answer to this was installing two Seymour Duncan hotrails in my 62 reissue Jag. I sold my HH last year. While it looked great it just did nothing for me. The output from my 62 since the mod is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 red_giant

Is the "classic" Jaguar tone really that saught after? and would the HH not be more versatile than the Classic Player..

I would die for an American Made Jaguar or Jazzmaster, can anyone recommend where I could get one? I think Thomann might sell them but I want to play the guitar before I spend a lot on one..

Cheers :)

red_giant wrote: »
    Is the "classic" Jaguar tone really that saught after? and would the HH not be more versatile than the Classic Player..

Well if you're a fan of the bands that used them, yeah, why wouldn't the tone be sought after? Kevin Shields, Belinda Butcher, Ronald Jones, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, Kim Gordon, Kurt Cobain, John Frusciante...

Well the Classic Player is also a HH guitar, and it has the vibrato unit in it. I don't get why that black hardtail HH jag would be any more versatile. Neither of them would sound like a proper jag though (the pickups obviously, and the hardtail. Also, the classic player's vibrato tailpiece is nearer to the bridge than on proper jags, increasing the break angle of the strings over the bridge and the downward pressure on the bridge, changing the feel and tone of the guitar.
    red_giant wrote: »
    I would die for an American Made Jaguar or Jazzmaster, can anyone recommend where I could get one? I think Thomann might sell them but I want to play the guitar before I spend a lot on one..

The AVRI (American Vintage Reissue) guitars seem really overpriced. If you got a CIJ (Crafted in Japan) one and replaced the pickups and vibrato unit, you'd have a comparable, if not better, guitar for about a grand cheaper. Unless you're going to buy vintage, I don't really get the point in spending over a grand on a Jag or JM.

(Sorry if I seemed a bit condescending by explaining those acronyms, just in case ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Well if you're a fan of the bands that used them, yeah, why wouldn't the tone be sought after? Kevin Shields, Belinda Butcher, Ronald Jones, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, Kim Gordon, Kurt Cobain, John Frusciante...

Also Tom Verlaine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

the HH looks stunning,

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Also Tom Verlaine. :)

Oh really? I knew he was a big Jazzmaster guy. Jaguars too? Awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Oh really? I knew he was a big Jazzmaster guy. Jaguars too? Awesome :)

Yup, he mainly used Jazzmasters but went on to use a white Jag on quite a bit of his solo work. I think that's it stripped and abused below. :o

86102603.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54823BA1C270C3B997C65B528492E1AAD3647E0A426CE5411A0

Advertisement