Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's for the chop then?

Options
  • 30-12-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Well, the credit crunch and all thats biting, so I thought this could be a pleasant place for people to post their corporate death lists.

Here's mine:

Peacocks
    Perfume Shop
    Jack & Jones (theres a 75% sale in Derry, 1€=1£ and still no-one was buying anything)
    La Senza
    Baratts
    Costa
    MK One
    JJB
    Some of the DSG Group (Don't think Currys will, PC World could really just go)
    Homebase and B&Q (Homebase shutting down in our area at the moment)
    Reid/ Land of Leather/ DFS
    Maplin
    and Halfords

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Costa

I know they're probably being pumelled by Starbucks but they make lovely coffee and I'm quite fond of their sandwiches (toasted, of course!) so hopefully they don't end up going under...
    dmcg90 wrote: »
    Some of the DSG Group (Don't think Currys will, PC World could really just go)

PC World makes more money then Currys (PC World has services to sell as well as just laptops). In PC World & Harvey Normans today actually and Harveys seemed to have a lot more staff then customers wandering around while PCW was hopping

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aedan

I for one hope to god that maplin dont go. One of very few retail shops where the staff are genuinely helpful and actually know what they are talking about.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I hope none of them go, because it means people would be out of jobs, and I wish that on no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Aedan wrote: »
    I for one hope to god that maplin dont go. One of very few retail shops where the staff are genuinely helpful and actually know what they are talking about.

Are you for real :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

SDooM wrote: »
    I hope none of them go, because it means people would be out of jobs, and I wish that on no one.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Nine West
    Hysteria
    Visuals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Aedan wrote: »

Good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I know they're probably being pumelled by Starbucks but they make lovely coffee and I'm quite fond of their sandwiches (toasted, of course!) so hopefully they don't end up going under...

Me too, I love Costa. They have the nicest drinks (orange hot chocolate mmm) and tastiest snacks, and are cheaper than Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Isn't Costa a franchise operation rather than a chain? If so one closing won't mean they all close and yep, I agree, its about the best coffee out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I only walked through "china town" in dublin a few weeks back, I can't see all those restaurants surviving long, though many were reasonably priced. There are also many fancy places, like ice cream parlours opened in dublin city centre, can't see the lasting. Many pubs will feel the pinch big time, paying for overvalued properties coupled with fewer prices, and some of the eejits are still thinking upping the price is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Deli staff in general. People will start getting back to making a sambo rather than the paini's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭robo

davton wrote: »
    Deli staff in general. People will start getting back to making a sambo rather than the paini's etc
    Just watch it in 2009...the new thing in work will be people bringing in their own lunch! And the cost of that is a fraction of what you pay at the sandwich bar :p

I really don't like hearing about businesses going under, as it means job loses which is cr@p!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think Costa should be ok. They are not really in direct competition with Starbucks anyway, based on the locations that they choose to set up in (shopping centres, retail parks etc..).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

As per OP, my comments

Peacocks - not a chance
    Perfume Shop - possible
    Jack & Jones - many are franchises
    La Senza - not a chance
    Baratts - doubt it
    Costa - not a chance
    MK One - could be a contender
    JJB - strong possibility
    Some of the DSG Group - has already being reorganised
    Homebase - may close one or two, but is part of huge group including Argos.
    B&Q - not a chance
    Reid/ Land of Leather/ DFS - Furniture is hardest hit. DFS is prime candidtae.
    Maplin - doubt it
    Halfords - not affected as much as furniture and quite profitable.

The stores most affected by the very quick & sudden downturn are those who expanded hugely between 2005 & 2008 as this is when retail rents were at their highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Debenhams will close stores in Ireland to try to keep the group afloat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

i believe sasha will be saved (currently in examinership). PG, as they are Irish. IMO, WE should support Irish retailers first & foremost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Not surprising really, so many people buy their stuff at the cheaper online equivalents now. Hopefully HMV will step in to keep some of the shops open and some will keep their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

robo wrote: »
    Just watch it in 2009...the new thing in work will be people bringing in their own lunch! And the cost of that is a fraction of what you pay at the sandwich bar :p

Bah, I have been bringing my own stuff in for years. I could not believe how much people are prepared to pay for a branded lunch every day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No great surprise when the UK arm went into administration last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

darc wrote: »
    As per OP, my comments

Peacocks - not a chance
    Perfume Shop - possible
    Jack & Jones - many are franchises
    La Senza - not a chance
    Baratts - doubt it
    Costa - not a chance
    MK One - could be a contender
    JJB - strong possibility
    Some of the DSG Group - has already being reorganised
    Homebase - may close one or two, but is part of huge group including Argos.
    B&Q - not a chance
    Reid/ Land of Leather/ DFS - Furniture is hardest hit. DFS is prime candidtae.
    Maplin - doubt it
    Halfords - not affected as much as furniture and quite profitable.

The stores most affected by the very quick & sudden downturn are those who expanded hugely between 2005 & 2008 as this is when retail rents were at their highest.

Was in Peacocks today, not a single person in it, wierd with how busy the Asda carpark was and no-one going to it.

Never see anyone in B&Q, or Homebase. Maplin dosen't have such a huge customer base to keep itself afloat in so many locations, if people need a certain part of a computer then they usually order online. Same as for Barrats, just dont see anyone in it anytime I walk past which is about 10 times a day since I work in a shopping centre.

Think Sony could cut a few of their Sony Centres actually, and Argos needs to get rid of a few units. In Derry, theres 2 within 1 minute walk of each other and one 2 miles away, not great business sense is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Hear rumblings about the financial services sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

RUMBLINGS ABOUT THE FINANCIAL SERVICES SECTOR FOR ALONG TIME NOW & WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO FOR A LONG TIME YET TO COME. NOTHING WILL SURPRISE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭daithi666

ch750536 wrote: »
    Debenhams will close stores in Ireland to try to keep the group afloat.

1 billion in debt and trying to raise money for a store that charges 40/50% more than competitors. I think it was backed by Icelandic banks. It hasn't got a chance. I think it will partially close Irish op. I can't see it giving up Henry St. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tallaght and Blanch go. I know for a fact the Tallaght store was trying to get staff to take cuts in hours and the Xmas staff were let go 2 weeks earlier than normal.

As for other shops, it's hard to say. Some, like Jack & Jones, will probably close stores and keep stores in busy shopping areas. I reckon it'll be like that for a lot of the smaller shops that burst out into the tiny shopping centres around the country. The sooner they do that the better 'cause otherwise there will be a lot more Adams and Woolworths type shutdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

My predictions for retailers up for major restructuring \ closure in 2009 are;

- Hughes and Hughes (all their shops except. Dublin Airport seem dead most of the time. They are also more expensive than other Irish-owned bookshops

- Debenhams (only their Dublin shops seem to do well)

- Brown Thomas ( very overpriced, poor stock control (not everyone is a Medium!!!!!), rude condescending sales staff)

- JJB Sports (these always seem to be in financial trouble in the UK)

- JD Sports

- Costa ( a lot of thier shops are near Starbucks etc. People are starting to question paying €5 for a coffee)

- Starbucks (as above)

- O'Briens (overpriced, low quality sandwiches)

- Expensive restaurants in general

- On-line "off-shore" retailers eg Play.com (Revenue are going to have to tighten up on VAT due on imports from these people. A lot of times this would actually mean that the bricks and mortar shops are far cheaper)

The biggest winners will be;

- McDonalds, Burger King etc

- HMV (see on-line retailers above)

Most shops outside Dublin will be seriously affected in a recession as the population densities are so low and these shops were questionable at the best of times. Most chains will probably concentrate on their Dublin stores

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Brown Thomas
    No chance.
    JJB Sports
    Don't they have a closing down sale in Square, going on for the last 3 months.
    Debenhams
    Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

jahalpin wrote: »

- Brown Thomas ( very overpriced, poor stock control (not everyone is a Medium!!!!!), rude condescending sales staff)

Not a hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

But everyone who works in BT is better than you dont you know this? I think its a CV requirement, that and wearing enough makeup to make an Oompa Loompa look like Michael Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Not sure about BT as there will always be people with more money than sense.

Last time I went for a meal in Dublin a lot of the more upmarket places were still very busy while the more 'normal' mid market places were practically empty

Advertisement