Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's for the chop then?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

jahalpin wrote: »

- Brown Thomas ( very overpriced, poor stock control (not everyone is a Medium!!!!!), rude condescending sales staff)

-
    BT is owned by a multi-billionaire. It won't be closing. His stake in Penneys means during the downturn he'll still be coining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

while i can't see them closing any time soon, Arnotts will take a massive hit as a result of the shenanagins regarding the supposed renovations/expansion-they bought for this season thinking they'd be in the much smaller space in the Jervis centre.the kids section is especailly low on stock!think they'll surive ok though!

the one thing i hope to come out of all this is that customer service in this country goes up in standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

while i can't see them closing any time soon, Arnotts will take a massive hit as a result of the shenanagins regarding the supposed renovations/expansion-they bought for this season thinking they'd be in the much smaller space in the Jervis centre.the kids section is especailly low on stock!think they'll surive ok though!

They'll take a much higher hit on their property investments for the redevelopment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

i think:

Carlucios
    Milanos
    Jack Jones
    Ted Baker
    Swatch
    Avoca
    Urban Outfitters

those are shops i can seeing closing up in ireland, altho i would not like to see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Jack Jones sale in Mahon the other day was practically all tshirts, looked like they were trying to ditch their summer stock.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Does that mean we'll see one of the first genuine tile-store closing down sales ?

Someone else mention Milanos - I hope not. It's a great place to bring kids for a decent bit of food with such esoteric things as cutlery and glasses !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I used to go to Milano but people kept bringing their noisy kids there so I stopped going. I hate parents who bring their kids there, really ruins the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Swarovski - Must be paying a premium rent on Grafton St and Henry St cosidering they only opened relatively recently. Spending on that kind of stuff is gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

swingking wrote: »
    I used to go to Milano but people kept bringing their noisy kids there so I stopped going. I hate parents who bring their kids there, really ruins the atmosphere

True, drives me insane and totally ruins your dinner having kids running around or screaming. I really wish restaurants would ban children after a certain time of night - pubs do it so why not restaurants?

I think in the Milano's on Dawson St they tend not to let kids sit in the area at the very back (behind the kitchen area) so maybe ask to sit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Fallon & Byrne supermarket are my tip for the chop.
    They don't seem to be doing much business other than selling fruit&veg and stuff from their little cafe.

And apparently they have "issues" with paying the farmers who supply them (this has been going on almost since day 1 with them, though).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

When IKEA opens, I can see major changes in the homeware/furniture industry, especially around dublin. Couls even see Atlanatic Homecare or even Woodies going down.

Oh yeah, and Byrnes Toyshops and Harvey Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Visuals

I asked just before Christmas and apparently they were planning to shut up within 2 weeks, so that should be about now. Where'll I get my incense cones now :(

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Meadows and Byrne on the malahide road. Big shop, always empty, top quality merchandise but way over priced. They may find things difficult over the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Urban Outfitters is a good call, I don't think there's anybody who doesn't know that most their clothes can be got 50% cheaper elsewhere, and the home/giftware merchandise hasn't changed in about two years. I don't see many people splashing out on €45 t-shirts in the next while. Their rents for Temple Bar and Dundrum must be huge.

Food shops like Carlucios and Fallon & Byrne won't be around long if they don't at least try cut prices.

I don't see newer shops on Grafton St, like Ted Baker, Swatch sticking around, as their paying much higher rents than some of the other shops.

As someone already said, BK and McDonalds will do well (McDonalds doing very well in coffee in the US already, and Dunkin Donuts opening lots of stores while Starbucks closing, they should come back here!), the HMV group with the closure of Zavvi and smaller bookshops, and Borders rumoured to be exiting UK&I (don't forget they own Waterstones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

Tannylan wrote: »
    Are you for real :eek:

Up until recently the staff at Maplins were ignorant and very unhelpful, I noticed a change two months ago. The last fours times I was in there they were much nicer and didn't give me any static about returns. Prices are still too high though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

swingking wrote: »

Yeah, that and they really cater to them, have toy chests and all. The food is not worth the price either, just posh pizza really.

Da Pino do a good Italian but for some reason they play rock ballads on the stereo all the time.

sky news just repoted that Waterford wedgewood will be calling in the Administrators later today.

sad news for a world famous irish company. I read they have about 8000 emplyees world wide, anyone know how many in Ireland?. I thought they had a recovery packege going through.

just gotn the answer - 800 irish jobs. sad news for those involved, i am suyre those with glasswear craft will find it hard to be placed.#

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0105/breaking5.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Think Sony could cut a few of their Sony Centres actually

The Sony Centres in Ireland are franchised out. The ones on O'Connell St. (Dublin) and College Green (Dublin) are owned by Peats Of Parnell St.

The others are individually owned. None are affiliated with Sony, its just a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ch750536 wrote: »
    Debenhams will close stores in Ireland to try to keep the group afloat.

I reckon the Dublin ones are safe enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

KTRIC wrote: »
    The Sony Centres in Ireland are franchised out. The ones on O'Connell St. (Dublin) and College Green (Dublin) are owned by Peats Of Parnell St.

The others are individually owned. None are affiliated with Sony, its just a name.
    Interesting, I always presumed they were sony owned, they always seemed like sony showrooms to me, very expensive, but nice to be in, very spacious and overpriced. I presumed it was sonys way of displaying them nicely and then you go off to powercity to actually buy the thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rubadub wrote: »
    Interesting, I always presumed they were sony owned, they always seemed like sony showrooms to me, very expensive, but nice to be in, very spacious and overpriced. I presumed it was sonys way of displaying them nicely and then you go off to powercity to actually buy the thing.

def overpriced, I always find the sony adverts funny also.

This item is 130 (price in store may vary), wtf is the point of the advert giving a price then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cabaal wrote: »
    This item is 130 (price in store may vary), wtf is the point of the advert giving a price then?
    Recommended Retail Price vs. what individual stores may sell it for (i.e. loss leaders, sales etc.). I can already see the screaming if they advertised it as 130 in the advert and the store charged 150 for it because of lack of competition or the fact they where selling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I think the Sony Centre master franchise is held by Peats for Ireland. They then franchise out the franchise (so to speak). They do control two in Dublin directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Leo O'Callaghan owned Munster a few years back dunno if he still does

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Not a hope!!

Wasn't Galen Weston (Chairman of both Brown Thomas and Pennys) quoted recently as saying that in a recession the top and the bottom survive and the middle ground suffer and go out of business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

josh59 wrote: »
    Wasn't Galen Weston (Chairman of both Brown Thomas and Pennys) quoted recently as saying that in a recession the top and the bottom survive and the middle ground suffer and go out of business

What is BT's connection to Penneys? I thought Penneys was owned by that reclusive 70 year old guy who doesn't do photos or interviews and whose name I can't remember just now.

I think the clothes section of Dunnes could be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

sunnyside wrote: »
    What is BT's connection to Penneys? I thought Penneys was owned by that reclusive 70 year old guy who doesn't do photos or interviews and whose name I can't remember just now.

Penneys/Primark is owned by British Associate Foods. British Associate Foods is controlled by Wittington Investments who own, amongst others, Selfridges and Brown Thomas. Simple really!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

penexpers wrote: »
    Penneys/Primark is owned by British Associate Foods. British Associate Foods is controlled by Wittington Investments who own, amongst others, Selfridges and Brown Thomas. Simple really!

And Galen Weston is the "reclusive 70 year old" Chairman if I'm correct ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

josh59 wrote: »
    And Galen Weston is the "reclusive 70 year old" Chairman if I'm correct ?

Arthur Ryan is the guy I was thinking of. I thought he was chairman of Primark. He is the person who runs it isn't he.

Advertisement