Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's for the chop then?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dmcg90 wrote: »
    La Senza
    Christ I hope not.Theyve given me many nice surprises

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

eth0_ wrote: »
    True, drives me insane and totally ruins your dinner having kids running around or screaming. I really wish restaurants would ban children after a certain time of night - pubs do it so why not restaurants?

Why should _well-behaved_ children be banned from restaurants ? Are they supposed to only eat-out in places serving a diet of nuggets and chips ? Maybe up-country is different but down here Milanos has a healthy mix and I've never come across rowdy kids (thankfully).

I often wish that restaurants would ban yaah-heads who insist on braying their way through meals whilst on the phone. Or folk who feel that the surrounding tables really need to know who they met and when they met them and the like. Or Corkies.

Time for the Irish to get over their poor attitude to kids in general and be like the French who seem to embrace children eating out. Our first meal out in France years ago was in a restaurant where junior was in a high chair at the end of our table. A group came in to eat and I got up to move the high-chair and was told not to bother and they took the long way round. Over here they'd have clambered over the bloody chair..

Anyway this is waaaay off-topic (or is it) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

you may have a right to bring your child to a restaurant but others have the right to enjoy a meal without being disturbed by children. I'm sure yours are well behaved but that's not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Superquuinn Dundalk closure announced today.

I'm still wondering what's going on with Dunnes. They have new cheaper than Penneys clothes in that nobody seems to be buying, they're still advertising a sale that's over apart from 2 racks of clothes, the shops are still half empty and there's a thread asking if the branch in Cavan is closing down.

Main Streets in Cork are really quiet, it's so depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭compsys

josh59 wrote: »
    And Galen Weston is the "reclusive 70 year old" Chairman if I'm correct ?

No, Arthur Ryan is the man who runs Penneys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

sunnyside wrote: »

I'm still wondering what's going on with Dunnes. They have new cheaper than Penneys clothes in that nobody seems to be buying, they're still advertising a sale that's over apart from 2 racks of clothes, the shops are still half empty and there's a thread asking if the branch in Cavan is closing down.

Tbh Penneys clothes are nicer than the Dunnes stuff, fit better and wash better, bought a 3 euro top in Dunnes and I looked pregnant and old in it :D

In terms of quiet Cork, try Mahon Point, walked in this morning and could only see two other people on the ground floor :( ::waits for her P45::

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭robo

I feel sorry for the staff in Superquinn -it is terrible. But on the news tonight, they are blaming the shoppers for going over the border...well why are we going over the border? Cos nothing was done to bring the prices down for the shops by the government, can some one please call a spade a spade and blame the government for not doing anything about the prices we pay and the taxes the businesses have to pay! Mary Harney told us to shop around....so we did!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Screenclick.com: Worlds worst postal DVD service.

Just cancelled after being forced to use them by the muppets at moviestar.ie selling out and doing a runner.

AVOID!!!

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

sunnyside wrote: »

The €5 promotion black jeans and navy and grey dresses? Flying out the door. Depends on the size of the store...I think our sale is 14 units still. Yeah it's doing alright, not great. The floor finally has enough new stock, it was so bare for ages. The drapery Ilac Dunnes has moved everything to their ground floor, no first floor anymore. Henry Street's figures are worse than ours and they shouldn't be, and I think the other Ilac Dunnes with the grocery probably isn't doing too great with the whole tesco Jervis across the way. Lots of people refuse to believe that Dunnes exists. North Earl Street drapery closed down, Grafton Street Dunnes does not open on Sundays (another one too close to a flagship, just like the Ilac) and lots of Dunnes that were 24 hours have switched back to being 12 hours. In my Dunnes, it closes an hour earlier than usual on each weekday. Not to mention hours in ribbons, temp staff let go etc. etc....and the absolutely chronic short-staffed..ness.

I heard something about a few Dunnes in Limerick, I remember thinking they were insanely close to each other when I was there (why does Dunnes KEEP doing this). I heard Penneys are doing great though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Penny's dosent need to make cheap clothes that look anyway half good, the mens section at the moment is absolutely dire, one hoodie was halfway decent, thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Formula for value store's clothing dept.
    75% of last years best sellers in a new fabric/colour.
    15% cat walk high street rip offs (Legal of course)
    10% excess stock got a a steal price on the warehouse markets to boost profit so you can be flexible with loss leaders.

If they can do this they are sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

robo wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the staff in Superquinn -it is terrible. But on the news tonight, they are blaming the shoppers for going over the border...well why are we going over the border? Cos nothing was done to bring the prices down for the shops by the government, can some one please call a spade a spade and blame the government for not doing anything about the prices we pay and the taxes the businesses have to pay! Mary Harney told us to shop around....so we did!

They can blame the northern shoppers all they want but i was in superquinn in blanch on saturday and it was dead aswell, maybe the fact that the shop charges over the odds for everything could be more to do with the closure. We are in a recession after all and tesco and lidl are still doing good business.

Has to be said that the coverage of superquinn dundalk was incredibly lazy journalism, lets blame the northy shoppers for everything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I went to Superquinn last summer and could not believe they employed staff to fill the bags for the shoppers. Their cost base must be a lot higher than other supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I went to Superquinn last summer and could not believe they employed staff to fill the bags for the shoppers. Their cost base must be a lot higher than other supermarkets

Why their letting staff go i guess. I thought the bag packing stopped after the fergal quinn days tho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

Barretts have gone into administration in the UK, no word on whats happening in Ireland with the stores they have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can see a lot of the branded franchised coffee shops around the city centre disappearing soon. Cafe Sol, Insomnia and Munchies being prime targets. Higher end shops such and Olio & Farino (sp?) will also go.

O'Briens' branding is a little different in terms of their food offering and I think their franchises will weather it out.

Subway will also keep on going as it's the aspirational McDonalds for most 13 year olds.

I can also see Waterstones closing a lot of their outlets this year.

As for car dealerships...where shall will we start? I'd be surprised if one of Maxwell Motors, Joe Duffy and Ansley aren't out of business in 12 months' time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

ongarite wrote: »
    Barretts have gone into administration in the UK, no word on whats happening in Ireland with the stores they have here.

Seems they are using this to negotiate lower rents with landlords. The main shareholder is willing to invest extra if the lanlords agree to lower rents. If not, they'll shut.

Somehow, I think the lanlords will agree to the terms!:D

Some stores maybe closed as they also own Dolcis, but it won't be many in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Richardsons Tiles in Cork are closed since Monday. I would have thought they were a big enough outfit. And the dublin number is going to mailbox. I know the Cork branch is near Right Price and Vitra(more the Richardsons market segment I think) but would have thought they would have been ok

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Midlandsbase

I can see a lot of the branded franchised coffee shops around the city centre disappearing soon. Cafe Sol, Insomnia and Munchies being prime targets. Higher end shops such and Olio & Farino (sp?) will also go.

O'Briens' branding is a little different in terms of their food offering and I think their franchises will weather it out.

Subway will also keep on going as it's the aspirational McDonalds for most 13 year olds.

I can also see Waterstones closing a lot of their outlets this year.

As for car dealerships...where shall will we start? I'd be surprised if one of Maxwell Motors, Joe Duffy and Ansley aren't out of business in 12 months' time.

wouldn't be too sure about O'Briens. I know a couple of people who own a franchise and their sales have collapsed. Big franchisee meeting coming up soon in dublin and some are already talking of o'briens hq going into liquidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

With Wolseley, the owner of Tubs & Tiles, Heatmerchants and Brooks Building supplies etc.., reporting bad figures, I wouldn't be surprised if some of their outlets started to disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

wouldn't be too sure about O'Briens. I know a couple of people who own a franchise and their sales have collapsed. Big franchisee meeting coming up soon in dublin and some are already talking of o'briens hq going into liquidation.
    Fook. Very interesting article in last Fridays Irish Times business section outlining some of the big chains that might hit the rocks soon.

Dunnes Grafton Street and Georges Street closing in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Dunnes Grafton Street and Georges Street closing in the next week.

For real? That's mad. Didn't hear anything about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Are Dunnes letting staff go or transferring them to other branches? The Grafton Street Dunnes is a tiny shop anyway.

It was announced in the Dunnes I work in, which is nearby, and probably killed both of them off. We'll get their stock..but there's not enough ( or any, really) vacancies to actually take their staff. I'd say they'll just be let go. Idiotic policy of locating several Dunnes too close together!

Dunnes (in general) let go all staff on probation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 getoverit

Linku wrote: »
    Urban Outfitters is a good call, I don't think there's anybody who doesn't know that most their clothes can be got 50% cheaper elsewhere, and the home/giftware merchandise hasn't changed in about two years. I don't see many people splashing out on €45 t-shirts in the next while. Their rents for Temple Bar and Dundrum must be huge.

Food shops like Carlucios and Fallon & Byrne won't be around long if they don't at least try cut prices.

I don't see newer shops on Grafton St, like Ted Baker, Swatch sticking around, as their paying much higher rents than some of the other shops.

As someone already said, BK and McDonalds will do well (McDonalds doing very well in coffee in the US already, and Dunkin Donuts opening lots of stores while Starbucks closing, they should come back here!), the HMV group with the closure of Zavvi and smaller bookshops, and Borders rumoured to be exiting UK&I (don't forget they own Waterstones)
    If you think the home/gift section has not changed in two years then stop going back then! Get over it!

The company that owns/has large stakes in Oasis, Karen Millen and Coast has gone into examinership in the UK. It's not Mosaic. Also, Arcadia have sold off a sister distributing company that was inactive for a while, Matte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

O'Briens Sandwich shops gone in Nenagh and 2 in Waterford that I have heard of personally. Anyone know any others closed? Looks like the days of the €10 sandwich and coffee are dead. €1 extra to toast my sandwich? €1 extra for 5g of mustard? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My favourite sandwich in there was €5.25 toasted, what sandwich cost €10?

In Waterford, O Briens was good value. The only place less expensive is Subway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Golden Discs gone into examinership, although they should pull through:

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0213/goldendiscs.html

Advertisement